Old 05-29-2014, 07:50 PM   #11
Thanks Herk for the explanation too. Wish I was at the MH now to try a few things but can't so am taking all these comments in so as to solve the problem of the warmish beer. All appreciated.

George359 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 09:06 PM   #12
Who knows?? I am sure that running on gas the frig cools faster. I am also sure that the thermister controls the inside temp of the frig. (A thermistor is a type of resistor whose resistance varies significantly with temperature). In either case the inside temp of the frig will end up the same. Can you fool the thermister - sure - if it gets warm it signals a cooling cycle.

When the thermister fails it will usually not signal a cooling shutoff and then it will freeze the entire frig. (I have had a gallon of frozen milk). Ambient temperature will definitely influence the overall efficiiency of any cooling system.

However this discussion was more cooling on electric than gas - basically can't happen.

cadman99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 06:08 AM   #13
Site Team - Lou
Originally Posted by cadman99 View Post
Who knows?? I am sure that running on gas the frig cools faster. I am also sure that the thermister controls the inside temp of the frig. However this discussion was more cooling on electric than gas - basically can't happen.
Thanks for the refresher on Thermistors and you are correct, the location of the thermistor on the cooling fin determines the inside temperature,regardless of whether it is running on AC or Propane, since there is only one.

All things being equal the temperature, stabilized, should be identical whether on AC or propane heat. The OP says they are not. The only variable here is the efficiency of the ammonia bulb heat. My point is that something is effecting the transfer of thermal energy from the gas flame to the bulb. A misaligned flame, bug nest clogged flue (the AC does not use the flue), bad mixture (yellow flame), etc.

Basically, CAN happen ...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130507_213201.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	53805  

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 06:33 AM   #14
Site Team
Others have discussed the fridge on LP vs 120v.
I guess the LP burner might be hotter so it boils the ammonia faster and
this might give better cooling.
Why yours works better on AC is a mystery!

I can tell you that I have a couple of beer mugs that have blue ice type
fluid in them. I put them in the freezer and they are awesome!!
Pour in a 40 deg beer and it will get an ice skim on top within a few minutes!
I love mine!! BTW-- I use a thermometer and my fridge is pretty consistent at 40 in the fresh food area and really cold in the freezer. Ice cream is usually hard as a rock!

Good luck!

Dan & Rita D
2004 5.3L Silverado 1500 ext. cab 2WD
1999 Suzuki Intruder Motorcycle
Blue Ox WD hitch, AirLift load levelers

Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41,
2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-38
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote

dometic, fridge, gas, power