Old 12-23-2018, 07:31 PM   #1

Dometic fridge problem

I loaned out my 2006 Cardinal 31RKLE 5th wheel to a young family who had lost their home in the recent Campfire disaster here in N. Cal. It was plugged in to power at the cabinet shop he worked in and had water and sewer avail. About the second week they were in it he said the fridge had quit working on ac power but was fine on propane. They finally got relocated in permanent housing so I got my rig back yesterday. I plugged it in and turned the fridge on to Auto and the ac light is on but it's not cooling even though it's set at 5-the highest setting. I checked the breakers and fuses even though I'm getting indicator lights that tell me it has power. I also checked the little fuse in the fridge panel on the outside of the coach. As a side note, the microwave also quit working but the interior light comes on when you open the door but the front panel is dark-no clock or any other sign of life in it. Any advice? Thanks, Randy.

Itswett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 08:57 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itswett View Post
I loaned out my 2006 Cardinal 31RKLE 5th wheel to a young family who had lost their home in the recent Campfire disaster here in N. Cal. It was plugged in to power at the cabinet shop he worked in and had water and sewer avail. About the second week they were in it he said the fridge had quit working on ac power but was fine on propane. They finally got relocated in permanent housing so I got my rig back yesterday. I plugged it in and turned the fridge on to Auto and the ac light is on but it's not cooling even though it's set at 5-the highest setting. I checked the breakers and fuses even though I'm getting indicator lights that tell me it has power. I also checked the little fuse in the fridge panel on the outside of the coach. As a side note, the microwave also quit working but the interior light comes on when you open the door but the front panel is dark-no clock or any other sign of life in it. Any advice? Thanks, Randy.
I might want to look at the main power connection behind the fuse panel if I were comfortable with troubleshooting electrical systems. Shore and battery power disconnected of course.

myxkp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 06:07 PM   #3
Head Rambler

It could be the electric element is burned out.
Old 12-25-2018, 02:45 PM   #4

X2 to Bama Rambler's post.
Rich5117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 03:51 PM   #5

Or the AC power plug has fallen out of its receptacle, has been reported before...
johnbryanpeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 04:47 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itswett View Post
I loaned out my 2006 Cardinal 31RKLE 5th wheel to a young family who had lost their home in the recent Campfire disaster here in N. Cal.
Kudos to your kindness!
Dp26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 01:30 AM   #7

Unfortunately, there are many possible explanations for your fridge issues. If you are at all handy, start with checking for 120 volts at every stage starting with the circuit breaker and working downstream to the connections for the 120V heating coil.

However, I'm afraid the microwave failure is related. You may have a voltage surge situation that took out both the microwave and the 120v section of the fridge control board.

just my suggestions, I hope I'm wrong and there is something very simple
Fred W
pgandw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 09:42 AM   #8

My bet is on a power surge event. Two AC appliance anomalies—hopefully that is all that was affected.

Good on you-for allowing them to use your rig in such a desperate situation. Your reward will be far greater than the cost/frustration of this issue.
2011 Starcraft 392BHU w/Andersen No-Sway hitch
chaps2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 04:40 PM   #9

Unhappy

Thanks for the replies/suggestions everyone. I checked the fridge plug in the access panel and my meter shows 130 volts at the receptical. The 2 fuses on the circuit board are good so I ordered a heating element that should be here in the next day or so but I'm afraid this may be the board itself. I switched the fridge back to ac power and the indicator light on the fridge lit up as it should. I took my voltmeter and checked for power at the circuit board where the heating element wires are connected but don't get any power there. The wires were still connected to the board so I should've had a reading there.
As to the microwave-haven't pursued that yet but agree with the others here that there must have been a power supply problem at some point.
Did I mention that I also found a crack at the support flange area on my black tank? I got a call one day that there was foul smelling water leaking out the bottom of the rig so after draining the tanks and removing the small access panel I discovered all the insulation was soaked with black tank water. I have one of the metal floor panels removed now so I could remove the insulation. I think I can fix the crack with some of the "as seen on tv" flex seal, reinsulate and reinstall the floor pan panel. The microwave is at the bottom of my list for now but I'll get to it. Anybody want to trade places?
Itswett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 05:25 PM   #10
Site Team

Is it possible that the person who borrowed it tried to connect it to a 220V plug for a dryer or welder at the shop.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
dometic, fridge