Old 04-17-2011, 02:04 PM   #1

Location: No longer own a Forest River product, but enjoy the info on this site
Dometic Fridge - shore power

Greetings

This weekend we used the new 23LB at a full hook-up camp site. The fridge would not operate properly on 'shore power' -- 110V. The fridge would cool down and the freezer would get cool, but not enough to freeze the small ice trays. After a day and half, we ran the fridge on propane and it worked properly.

Also, there was a fan clicking off and on constantly when the fridge was running on 110 Volt power, when it was switched to propane - the fan didn't run as often. Don't know if the fan issue is connected to the problem I am experiencing with the fridge.

BTW -- The fridge works just fine with propane power -- the freezer freezes and fridge stays nice and cool.

I appreciate your feedback.

Thanks,

Darren

Old 04-17-2011, 02:18 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamgl View Post
Greetings

This weekend we used the new 23LB at a full hook-up camp site. The fridge would not operate properly on 'shore power' -- 110V. The fridge would cool down and the freezer would get cool, but not enough to freeze the small ice trays. After a day and half, we ran the fridge on propane and it worked properly.

Also, there was a fan clicking off and on constantly when the fridge was running on 110 Volt power, when it was switched to propane - the fan didn't run as often. Don't know if the fan issue is connected to the problem I am experiencing with the fridge.

BTW -- The fridge works just fine with propane power -- the freezer freezes and fridge stays nice and cool.

I appreciate your feedback.

Thanks,

Darren

You never mentioned what tyhe outside temp was and your location.
I usually use propane to get me frig cooled down becasue it is quicker. After I'm at the site with shore power I switch over to electric and it maintains well.

The fan may be your power supply rectifier fan running when it charges the battery. I do not think you have a fan inside or in the back of the refrigerator. Now keeping that in mind if the battery is low you may have an issue because the refrigerator controls is 12 volt DV.
Before jumping to conclusions I'd check your battery levels and charge.

My 2 cents.

Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 03:06 PM   #3

as iggy said, i would make sure the bat is ok.
along the same line, the fan cycling and the frig not working properly may be the shore supply voltage; ie the frige may be dragging the voltage down causing the converter to cut in and out.
once u've satisfied the battery, i would put it back on shore and check the supply voltage at one of the outlets.
other issue, i didn't see if u were on 30 amp or 50 amp. on 50 amp, voltage may check good at one of the outlets but be low on the other leg. supply voltage may also be good until u put enough load on it.
if ur adapting 110 to the 50amp, ur adapter may not be making good contact with the 50 amp plug.
Old 04-17-2011, 07:25 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
The fan may be your power supply rectifier fan running when it charges the battery. I do not think you have a fan inside or in the back of the refrigerator. Now keeping that in mind if the battery is low you may have an issue because the refrigerator controls is 12 volt DV.
Before jumping to conclusions I'd check your battery levels and charge.

My 2 cents.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimh View Post
as iggy said, i would make sure the bat is ok.
along the same line, the fan cycling and the frig not working properly may be the shore supply voltage; ie the frige may be dragging the voltage down causing the converter to cut in and out.
once u've satisfied the battery, i would put it back on shore and check the supply voltage at one of the outlets.
other issue, i didn't see if u were on 30 amp or 50 amp. on 50 amp, voltage may check good at one of the outlets but be low on the other leg. supply voltage may also be good until u put enough load on it.
if ur adapting 110 to the 50amp, ur adapter may not be making good contact with the 50 amp plug.
Thanks for the input... This was our first outing that we had an opportunity to use shore power while camping. After off loading the fridge and turning off the propane (and letting the fridge 'warm up' a bit), I hooked up to the camper to a power source at home. The fridge/freezer cooled down nicely... but the fan (inside the fridge) switched off and on constantly. Perhaps this is normal???

My neighbor helped me check the batteries and they are fine.

Thank you for the unput
Old 04-17-2011, 07:40 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamgl View Post
The fridge/freezer cooled down nicely... but the fan (inside the fridge) switched off and on constantly. Perhaps this is normal???
What fan inside the fridge ?? You don't have your camper listed in your signature, but many trailers do not have internal fridge fans. As others stated, if your power center is below the fridge, that is probably what you are hearing.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 08:09 PM   #6

[QUOTE=mtnguy;96977]What fan inside the fridge ?? As others stated, if your power center is below the fridge, that is probably what you are hearing.[/QUOTE

the freezer got nice and cold when the camper was hooked up to a different 110V power source.

At this point I am wondering if it is normal to have the fan in the fridge come on so often??? If so, no worries... the camper is on shore power.

The schematic on the back of the fridge (viewed when removing the outside vent/panel) shows a fan in the wiring plan.... that's the fan I am hearing. It is heard clearly inside and outside the camper -- above the fan from the power center/fuse box, which is below the fridge. The camper is a 2011 Flagstaff 23LB.

I do not know the model of the fridge -- it is in storage and will get 'out of jail' for a few weeks.

Thanks for the input everyone.
Old 04-17-2011, 11:31 PM   #7

the fan is new to me.
if it is outside the frig, it may be used to force air thru the condensing area of the frig (behind frig). if that's the case, u may want to check the roof vent to make sure its clear. check air in too.
the odds of this would be low. if the vent was blocked, i doubt that it would work on propane.
it's fairly easy to check. maybe u can find that fan.
humm.... seems like i've seen thermostatically controlled frig replacement vents somewhere. the fan was built into the roof vent...just can't remember where i saw it.
i don't have any experience there.
Old 04-18-2011, 01:35 AM   #8

My 2011 wildcat has the fan at the top to pull air over the condenser since my fridge is side vented not thru the roof. because it is in the slide it works fine on shore power or propane. Have never heard fan running yet but haven't used it that much yet will see in june when we vacation for a week in the heat.

2001 Ford F-350 DRW 7.3
2011 25 RL Wildcat
former fiver 1976 Fourwinds had for 35 years
onetonford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 07:28 AM   #9

my first thought is venelation. along the gulf coast, dirt dobbers love those spaces. so do wasps.
i haven't had an issue with them blocking the frig vent but on my last trailer, they loved to build on the a/c fan and inside the furnace.