Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-23-2013, 12:25 PM   #1
God Is Good

Dometic Fridge short! Power Converter over charging?

Hi my name is Dave, I own a 2013 Flagstaff v-lite wfkss 35ft Diamond package. I have been having troubles with my dometic frigerator. found the problem to be the switch door switch, which also has a heater wire connected. I un plug the wire from the board and it works fine. I was told to check the converter, for AC not DC power, by checking the terminals on the battery with my multi meter. it shows 29 .the technician told me that that is way too high. where is the converter located on my camper?
Dave8062 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 12:28 PM   #2
God Is Good

all my lights and everything in the camper are working fine. I have been hooked up the shore power for about 4 months.battery shows 13.8 volts when I hooked up the shore power for DC.when I unhook shore power it shows 13.8 still.
Old 12-23-2013, 01:15 PM   #3
RKR

Not familiar with your trailer. Hopefully somebody who is will chime in. If not, you should be able to trace the cables from your battery or relay back to your inverter ?
RKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 01:30 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave8062 View Post
Hi my name is Dave, I own a 2013 Flagstaff v-lite wfkss 35ft Diamond package. I have been having troubles with my dometic frigerator. found the problem to be the switch door switch, which also has a heater wire connected. I un plug the wire from the board and it works fine. I was told to check the converter, for AC not DC power, by checking the terminals on the battery with my multi meter. it shows 29 .the technician told me that that is way too high. where is the converter located on my camper?
Dave, I have a rockwood same family, just about all the converts are located at floor level, you have a black cover over it you should see a colored see thur area, press that in and the top half of the door opens, mine is at the door on the right, yours could be there or in that area or look around the refrigerator or at the bottoms of your cabinets.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 01:36 PM   #5
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Your looking for this.
The converter is at the bottom normally.
But sometimes its behind this unit on the floor.

Third picture shows converter removed.

TURBS

posted via my troll-mobile hand held type device.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1387823736679.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	44098   Click image for larger version

Name:	1387823835132.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	44099  
Attached Images

TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 01:38 PM   #6

Quote:
all my lights and everything in the camper are working fine. I have been hooked up the shore power for about 4 months.battery shows 13.8 volts when I hooked up the shore power for DC.when I unhook shore power it shows 13.8 still.
If you are getting 13.8 unplugged you are overcharging your battery. You should have a WFCO converter 3 stage. it will charge at 14.4 then absorption at 13.6 (when you use your 12v) float is at 13.2, but you can not have any current draw for 21 hrs for it to drop 13.2. You might have a bad convertor. Also check your water in the battery....

Old 12-23-2013, 01:40 PM   #7
Denver, CO

Is it 29 or 13.8? It can't be both and doesn't sound like the converter to me. Sound like a switch or control board problem. If the converter is providing 13.8 then it is working ok, but you may want to check the water in your batts.
Old 12-23-2013, 01:45 PM   #8
Denver, CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
If you are getting 13.8 unplugged you are overcharging your battery. You should have a WFCO converter 3 stage. it will charge at 14.4 then absorption at 13.6 (when you use your 12v) float is at 13.2, but you can not have any current draw for 21 hrs for it to drop 13.2. You might have a bad convertor. Also check your water in the battery....

Correction, it should be 14.4 bulk at max amps, 14.4 absorbtion at decreasing amps till about 2 amps, or so and the float at 12.3 or so. The 13.8 is typical of many float chargers, but a bit high I agree and will most likely bubble the water out over time.

Still do not see how that could affect the refrigerator tho, it still sounds like a switch or control board on the frig to me.
Old 12-23-2013, 01:59 PM   #9
Denver, CO

Nope, me wrong, your right at least for the current WFCO units although that charging process will leave the batteries well below their capacity

Output Ranges:- Nominal (Absorption Mode) 13.6 Vdc (includes charging and load)
- Boost (Bulk Mode) 14.4 Vdc
- Trickle (Float Mode) 13.2 Vdc (after 48 hrs.)

That, hoever still does not explain the OP's problem IMO.

A proper charging algorithm for the ABS portion for flooded cells should be more like 14.4 v until the charging amps drop pretty low (usually a couple hours). It makes no sense to expect 13.6 volts to do anything after the bulk charge.

To much information, probably, but there it is.
Old 12-23-2013, 02:25 PM   #10
God Is Good

Ok thanks. Well the Dometis guy had me check at the battery with my multi meter by putting the multi meter on AC-V on that it measured 29 hooked to shore power. When you check it for DC it is 13.8 without shore power still 13.8 DC. He said there is a so called reverb back from the converter. This all started when my fridfe lights started blinking back and forth when I shut or open the door. I changed out tge board after a rv tech checked all power coming and going and all was good. But that still never fixed it. When I took the far left wire that goes to the switch off it now works. The light starts dim and tgen glows bright and fridge works good and gas. But when I hook the wire up then the lights flicker and fridge will not work on gas or electric. All you here is clicking at tge board relay switch
Old 12-23-2013, 02:27 PM   #11
God Is Good

Below the fridge inside I have the power panel but no door for converter
Old 12-23-2013, 02:29 PM   #12
God Is Good

Name:	ForumRunner_20131223_132851.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	44100

Name:	ForumRunner_20131223_132914.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	44101
Old 12-23-2013, 03:06 PM   #13
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by garbonz View Post
Nope, me wrong, your right at least for the current WFCO units although that charging process will leave the batteries well below their capacity

Output Ranges:- Nominal (Absorption Mode) 13.6 Vdc (includes charging and load)
- Boost (Bulk Mode) 14.4 Vdc
- Trickle (Float Mode) 13.2 Vdc (after 48 hrs.)

That, hoever still does not explain the OP's problem IMO.

A proper charging algorithm for the ABS portion for flooded cells should be more like 14.4 v until the charging amps drop pretty low (usually a couple hours). It makes no sense to expect 13.6 volts to do anything after the bulk charge.

To much information, probably, but there it is.
Which is one reason I recommend a progressive dynamics.

TURBS

Old 12-23-2013, 04:43 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
Which is one reason I recommend a progressive dynamics.

TURBS

X's 2 on Progressive. In storage mine stays on 13.2 when I switched to progressive 4 stage. My water has not boiled or gassed out since. plus you have the desalination or cleaning of the plates every 21 hrs. for 15 mins @ 14.4. to pro long your batteries. To me the OP problem is over charging plus a bad board. the wire he is pulling off is the humidity switch I think.

Old 12-23-2013, 04:47 PM   #15

Quote:
you have to have a convertor some where i guess they hide it pretty good. May be someone who has your unit will chime in, if not call your dealer and ask him where it is located.

Old 12-23-2013, 05:02 PM   #16
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
There is no door for the converter you have to take the whole front panel off as in my picture that I showed in the previous post

TURBS

Old 12-23-2013, 05:04 PM   #17
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

This is the distribution panel with the whole front cover removed and the converter pulled out

TURBS

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1387836254976.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	44109  
Old 12-23-2013, 05:47 PM   #18
Denver, CO

me tinks there is confusion between the fridge control board and the Power Converter which is part of or close to the circuit breaker/fuse box. TURBS is showing the power converter and the OP is showing the back of the fridge.

Regardless of the fridge issue, the converter should probable be replaced with a Progressive unit.

The fridge issue still makes no sense to me... Not that that is unusual, I am frequently confused by this stuff.
Old 12-23-2013, 06:23 PM   #19
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by garbonz View Post
me tinks there is confusion between the fridge control board and the Power Converter which is part of or close to the circuit breaker/fuse box. TURBS is showing the power converter and the OP is showing the back of the fridge.

Regardless of the fridge issue, the converter should probable be replaced with a Progressive unit.

The fridge issue still makes no sense to me... Not that that is unusual, I am frequently confused by this stuff.
See now im confused I though he was having a fridge issue as well as a converter issue.

So maybe I'm the dumb one eh?

So is he talking about the fridge board calling it a converter?

TURBS

Old 12-23-2013, 06:49 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
See now im confused I though he was having a fridge issue as well as a converter issue.

So maybe I'm the dumb one eh?

So is he talking about the fridge board calling it a converter?

TURBS

Turbs I think he thought that was the convertor, is the way it seems to me. I think that is what he found and thought that was the convertor, He really has two problems. The high voltage problem probably caused the refer problem to begin with, thats why it works when he pulls that wire off. just a guess but that is what I read and see.