Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-09-2016, 02:16 PM   #1

Dometic Frig Too Cold

On more than four occasions this year we have found food frozen in our refrigerator compartment. Temperature checks in the frig showed temperatures as low as 20 degrees F and as high as 50 degrees F. The freezer compartment has worked fine, maintaining a temperature between 0 and 20 F. Our frig is the one with allows the choice of three levels of cooling--"Cold", "Colder" and "Coldest"--we kept the setting on "Cold" at all times. Our previous camper's Dometic frig had a thermister control on the fins that allowed for smaller adjustments of temperature. After the first time, we made a point of rearranging food to allow for better air circulation in the frig. We still found food frozen several more times. We even bought special containers for meats, cheeses and other foods to improve circulation even more.

I dropped the camper off at Campers Inn for warranty work this week. They called today to say the work was complete. They informed me that they could not reproduce the low frig compartment temperatures in their 24-hour test, and that there was nothing they could do about it. The tech said they followed Dometic's protocol for testing their units and that, if it continues to happen, to arrange to return it for another test. I am confused as to how can a 24-hour test with no food in the frig be a fair test of the situation--we camped 61 nights this year and ruined food in the frig on over four occasions. Do we have to count on replacing the food in our frig 10% of the time we camp?

I am considering calling Dometic directly to see if they have a different response to my concerns.

Suggestions appreciated.

"I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to. . .I guess."
Red Green
"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
rockfossilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 02:35 PM   #2

Campers Inn Pittsburgh? (Elwood City)

Although I don't have a beef with them and purchased there because the price beat RVW and some others, the service department seems to be a crapshoot. A constant help wanted sign is down on the corner. They have some decent tech's, but also their share of mediocre ones IMO.

You are correct, without the fridge loaded the same way and tested like that under the same weather conditions, its a useless test. Lots of variables. But Freezing some food at times is better than not getting cool enough or at all. It could be a bad thermistor or control board but I doubt it.

Let me guess, stuff is freezing if placed in the back on the bottom shelf?

Try putting put one of these in the back corner, and do not pack the thing so full it can not get any circulation.

https://www.amazon.com/Valterra-A10-...words=A10-2606

Or try one of these.

Product Listings for Snip The Tip
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 02:56 PM   #3
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Havercamp View Post
Campers Inn Pittsburgh? (Elwood City)

Let me guess, stuff is freezing if placed in the back on the bottom shelf?

Try putting put one of these in the back corner, and do not pack the thing so full it can not get any circulation.

https://www.amazon.com/Valterra-A10-...words=A10-2606
I use two of these in mine and also try not to pack to much as to hinder circulation. However It could be a bad thermistor or control board as I run mine on the highest setting at all times and very seldom have I had frozen food items. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 03:37 PM   #4

Yes, Pittsburgh - fairly satisfied with service so far, but I question the effectiveness of a 24- hour test. Have tried all kinds of food arrangements, avoiding back corners. Have had food freeze on all shelves on different occasions.

Red Green
Old 12-09-2016, 03:39 PM   #5

Link would not open - I'll try to open on computer at home.

Red Green
Old 12-09-2016, 03:55 PM   #6

Got to study the fan recommended - it seems that most who use the fan have a frig that's too warm - ours is too cold top to bottom. I don't see how circulating already-too-cold air will prevent freezing of food.

Red Green
Old 12-10-2016, 01:23 PM   #7

I have had the same problem with frozen food in the refrigerator. It seems to happen after a few days on electric power. I have not tried the fan remedy, but would be interested to hear if it works for you.
MarieM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 02:04 PM   #8
RVdoctor

Make sure someone does an OHMS check on the thermistor. Don't know what model you have. The OHMS technical limits are different depending on model. Some models have a thermistor adjustment on the circuit board. Have the RV shop do a real world test that is similar to your use. It make take more than 24 hours of running time to duplicate the problem.
rvdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 10:40 AM   #9

Neighbor across the Street had the same problem with his brand new Flagstaff. After numerous back & forth to the Dealer - they replaced it with a brand new one - PROBLEM SOLVED!!
nikita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 01:54 PM   #10

So I'm assuming the new dometics don't have an adjustable thermistor? Progress and improvement?
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 01:21 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvdoctor View Post
Make sure someone does an OHMS check on the thermistor. Don't know what model you have. The OHMS technical limits are different depending on model. Some models have a thermistor adjustment on the circuit board. Have the RV shop do a real world test that is similar to your use. It make take more than 24 hours of running time to duplicate the problem.
Techs did this test on Tuesday, then called me to say they found no problems. I'll be picking the TT up next week. He did say that since the frig has a 2-year warranty, it is still covered for the next camping season and to give them a call if problem persists. We'll consider trying the circulation fan next year and see if that helps.

Our second home will sadly be parked by the first home till March while I concentrate on having body work and new tires installed on the TV and building an island in our first home's kitchen.

Red Green

Tags
dometic