Old 06-15-2015, 08:40 PM   #1

Dometic Frig works on gas but won't switch to electric

Have a Dometic Refrigerator Model 3150SSX (the SSX is not in the operator manual but appears to be like the 3150M). It is set on auto but will not switch to electric when I plug the trailer into the receptacle. The frig continues to operate on propane. Itís cooling fine, just won't switch to electric.

I suspect it's not getting juice? Iíve checked the breaker and itís okay. Also checked the fuse underneath the frig that I accessed from the exterior, and it appears okay. The troubleshooting guide doesnít offer any other suggestions other than call a repairman. Anyone had any experience with this or other suggestions? I need to find the power coming in to the unit and check it but haven't had a chance. Qualifier: I'm not exactly a pro at doing this stuff!!

FarmerTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 09:11 PM   #2
Mod free 5er

Are other 110v appliances working? There are other fuses behind a black box on the back of the refrigerator also.

Old 06-15-2015, 09:37 PM   #3

Yes, all other appliances are working fine. The problem is isolated to only the frig. We're currently on the Alaska Highway almost to Whitehorse. I hope to take some more time and look into it more at that point. I was hoping for some ideas before I get there. That might even be a good place to try and find a repair person if I can't figure something out.

The problem started 2 days ago (we've been on the road for over 2 weeks). Since it's cooling fine on propane, it hasn't been a priority up to this point, fortunately.

By the way Oldcoot, I've been reading this forum for 2 years now, ever since we bought our 5th wheel, and I've really enjoyed your knowledge/experience/advice. You're probably my favorite poster! I'm honored to have you respond to my problem!!
FarmerTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 09:52 PM   #4
Mod free 5er

Thank you for the kind words. It is easy to check the fuses behind the black cover. When I was hooking up my outside fans for the frig, I blew 2 by accident before I finally got the + & - figured out and the switch wired.

BTW, hope you enjoy Alaska, it is indeed a breathtaking state. Was very fortunate to have been able to visit 3 times while our oldest was stationed there in the Air Force. He is now back there working for Shell Oil.
Old 06-15-2015, 11:26 PM   #5

Isn't there a "reset button" on the fridge chimney that sometimes gets tripped? Just follow the two wires (black & red?) going up to the chimney. The switch is well hid and the button is located between where the wires hook up to the switch. Can't remember the purpose of this switch - senior moment.

Bob
retiredcamper47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 06:42 AM   #6
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredcamper47 View Post
Isn't there a "reset button" on the fridge chimney that sometimes gets tripped? Just follow the two wires (black & red?) going up to the chimney. The switch is well hid and the button is located between where the wires hook up to the switch. Can't remember the purpose of this switch - senior moment.

Bob
There is a reset button on the stack, but if it is tripped, it will shut off the propane side also. It is a high limit heat switch.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01490.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	233.7 KB
ID:	80100  
Old 06-16-2015, 11:26 AM   #7

You might try turning the frig completely off and then back on. Mine will sometimes do the same thing yours is doing and this works for it.

DW of 28 Years.
Hope to meet you on the trail.
ejw7213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 01:09 PM   #8

Had a similar issue with mine, contact Dometic they get back to you in timely manner. They think my issue was the campground electric system was overtaxed and not enough voltage to the electric element. You may want to plug the heating element into a heavy extension cord and then the 20 amp campground circuit that way you not just on the 30 amp outlet. I was running air conditioner, and electric water heater element etc so it was a large draw considering there was a rally at the campground.
edcronin01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 01:49 PM   #9

I had similar when my rig bounced/vibrated loose the polarity protection fuses. My lights wouldn't work and my bathroom fan ran really slow. For some reason I eventually turned off the inverter and replaced the two 40 amp fuses inside the main power panel. That did the trick. I think that though the fridge is set up for AC it needs the DC side to be active as well.

Something new to look at, anyway.

In a pinch, 30 amp fuses will do until you hit civilization.

Good luck!
Steveadee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 02:33 PM   #10

My Dometic Fridge has a selection panel on the front and you have to pick which power source you want. It doesn't do it automatically. Could this be your issue?

glfillion is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dometic, electric, gas