Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-23-2015, 10:52 AM   #1

Dometic Micowave Timewarp

We picked up a 2007 FREELANDER that has barely been used and we thought we had a super powerful microwave oven but instead found the digital timer ran slow! One minute on the microwave actually cooks for a minute and a half. This is great if you like everything over cooked, but we don't.

It does this on the generator or on commercial power. I checked the frequency of the power and it is perfect at 59.99hz and so is the voltage. The time on the clock (which we don't set when we run on the genset) also runs slow.

Any suggestions on fixing this other that throwing out a unit that looks like new - and cooks great?

It's a Dometic DOTR12CBIV made in 2006.
Old 03-23-2015, 11:02 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by klspahr View Post
We picked up a 2007 FREELANDER that has barely been used and we thought we had a super powerful microwave oven but instead found the digital timer ran slow! One minute on the microwave actually cooks for a minute and a half. This is great if you like everything over cooked, but we don't.

It does this on the generator or on commercial power. I checked the frequency of the power and it is perfect at 59.99hz and so is the voltage. The time on the clock (which we don't set when we run on the genset) also runs slow.

Any suggestions on fixing this other that throwing out a unit that looks like new - and cooks great?

It's a Dometic DOTR12CBIV made in 2006.
💐

I think you are on the right track, scrap it for a convection/micro and you'll have two appliances for one. Doubt you could find parts for the old one anyway, not one of Dometics strong sellers.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 04:00 PM   #3
Site Team

I typically don’t look at the time when I microwave something. I just throw it in for a few minutes and then when it looks like it’s done, I take it out.

My kids would always ask me “How long should I microwave this?” I’d just tell them, “Until it’s hot.”

Although I can see how it would be a problem if you a "set it and forget it" type of person.
Iwritecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 12:17 PM   #4

It has been cold here and I've had the RV plugged into AC for the last week - I just tested the microwave again and guess what - the microwave timer now works perfectly.

I have a friend that retired from the appliance business and I asked him if he ever ran into a digital timer that counted the time wrong and he had never seen that happen. Wait till I tell him it has corrected itself.

Tags
dometic