Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-06-2018, 04:40 PM   #1

Dometic model RM2354 refrigerator not cooling while on propane

We have a 2017 Palomino RL182 trailer with a slide out kitchen. We been checking out the systems for a trip from Virginia to Alaska and the refrigerator has stopped working on the propane side (it’s AC, DC, Gas).
Running it on AC cools it down nicely and maintains fine. Once cool, running on DC is ok but it draws enough current that on an 8 hr driving day it’s hard pressed to keep up w/o draining my batteries lower than I’d like considering I use a CPAP. I don’t think I could Boondock for days using DC to power the refrigerator.
No to the problem. Once the refrigerator is chilled using AC power and we’ve switched to gas (propane) it doesn’t cool at all. Troubleshooting this I will note that the propane tanks are full, the gas is turn on the bottles, the flame is blue and steady. Looks like it should work but it doesn’t. Note that this refrigerator is not vented through the roof but into the cabinet/slide out box and there is a vent panel in the exterior wall.
Local dealer says I should inspect the flue tube and baffle for mud wasp nests. Any other suggestions?Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2003.jpg
Views:	706
Size:	121.7 KB
ID:	178495Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1530913166.603167.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	320.5 KB
ID:	178496Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1530913182.746034.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	262.4 KB
ID:	178497Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1530913202.449236.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	241.8 KB
ID:	178498
kwf1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 05:02 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwf1958 View Post
We have a 2017 Palomino RL182 trailer with a slide out kitchen. We been checking out the systems for a trip from Virginia to Alaska and the refrigerator has stopped working on the propane side (it’s AC, DC, Gas).
Running it on AC cools it down nicely and maintains fine. Once cool, running on DC is ok but it draws enough current that on an 8 hr driving day it’s hard pressed to keep up w/o draining my batteries lower than I’d like considering I use a CPAP. I don’t think I could Boondock for days using DC to power the refrigerator.
No to the problem. Once the refrigerator is chilled using AC power and we’ve switched to gas (propane) it doesn’t cool at all. Troubleshooting this I will note that the propane tanks are full, the gas is turn on the bottles, the flame is blue and steady. Looks like it should work but it doesn’t. Note that this refrigerator is not vented through the roof but into the cabinet/slide out box and there is a vent panel in the exterior wall.
Local dealer says I should inspect the flue tube and baffle for mud wasp nests. Any other suggestions?Attachment 178495Attachment 178496Attachment 178497Attachment 178498
Could be a couple of things, 1st Check the reset in the flue, 2 red wires going to it, second could be your board, do you here it light off, or does it lock out, that's the board then. Try it when your at a spot to see if it lights. Stop at a dealer if all else fails and have them look at it. It will drain your battery on dc.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 05:18 PM   #3

Thanks for the input. You got a good repair manual or exploded view of this frig?
Old 07-06-2018, 05:59 PM   #4

Quote:
Thanks for the input. You got a good repair manual or exploded view of this frig?
Sorry no, but that flue reset is just above the first picture. Also if your at a CG, leave that top vent off and if it running on propane see how it does, had one in a slide, they need a 12volt fan wired in below the coil in the top, it would help greatly. But check to make sure it will work off propane first. Them circuit boards are pure garbage and they go out all the time, you can get them on eBay, your refer will work on a.c. and dc but not on propane if it go's out. There is no way to boondock and run a cpac on dc only using your refer, it would drain your battery daily. But reset that limit in the flue first, there's a little button in the middle, the whole reset is no bigger then a dime.

Old 07-06-2018, 10:19 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witch Doctor View Post
Sorry no, but that flue reset is just above the first picture. Also if your at a CG, leave that top vent off and if it running on propane see how it does, had one in a slide, they need a 12volt fan wired in below the coil in the top, it would help greatly. But check to make sure it will work off propane first. Them circuit boards are pure garbage and they go out all the time, you can get them on eBay, your refer will work on a.c. and dc but not on propane if it go's out. There is no way to boondock and run a cpac on dc only using your refer, it would drain your battery daily. But reset that limit in the flue first, there's a little button in the middle, the whole reset is no bigger then a dime.

Not at a campground but am parked in driveway with 30amp connection. I looked for but didn’t see a reset button with two red wires. If I get another board how will I discover what my part number is? Kind of hitting a wall here.
Old 07-07-2018, 01:17 AM   #6

There has to be a reset in the flue. I also think you have one in the condenser coil on top, you can order the board from your model number, there pretty much the same board in all the units. That reset is like big as a dime only, look about 2' up on the flue and also on the coil on top, located in the upper door area.

Old 07-07-2018, 06:17 AM   #7
Site Team

Looking at the Service Manual, the thermofuse is wired in series with the power to the igniter so you wouldn't get a flame at all if it were tripped.

Take a look at the service manual I linked above and see if that helps you any.
Old 07-07-2018, 06:57 AM   #8

OP, look at what was just posted, find page 17 and read gas, it will tell you how to determine if your board is bad, also check the fuse on the back side of the board there 3, very good fine Bama.

Old 07-07-2018, 02:15 PM   #9
Denver, CO

"the flame is blue and steady"

If the flame is blue and steady, and it it works on AC and D.C. then your fridge is haunted and some demon is sucking the flame away.

No way for that to happen, except for a clogged flue maybe and that should affect the AC somewhat also. Something weird is happening.
Old 07-07-2018, 02:29 PM   #10

Based on my own experience, I suggest you check the gas pressure at the frig.
Or have it checked. My frig is only AC or gas but was doing the same thing.
Right down to the flame looking ok.
I had done just about everything mentioned and was ready to order a new board when a friend recommended I check gas pressure first. It was at 6 inches water column. Should be 11.

Proceeded to check the output side of the regulator and got the same reading.
Replaced the regulator and that fixed it. Works great on gas now.
You mention your frig is in a slideout, I would look for a kinked line to the frig first.
Old 07-07-2018, 02:30 PM   #11

1. Is the RV level?

2. I see you have a fan on the back of the unit. Does it run?

3. If you have a dedicated thermostat control for LP, is it set to maximum?

4. Test in section 8.7 of the manual would prove if the thermistor is bad.

Disclaimer: The actual value of my "Two Cents" of advice varies just like a bitcoin.
Bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 10:23 AM   #12
RVdoctor

Electronics are good as there is a flame, DC and AC work as stated. After checking gas pressure (11") remove and clean the burner orifice (10mm) with alcohol or brake cleaner. Do not run anything like wire, drill bit, etc through orifice. That would damage the orifice. Just because one can see the flame doesn't mean it is working properly. Checking the burner flue and baffle as recommended is also a good idea.
rvdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 07:03 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluepill View Post
1. Is the RV level?

2. I see you have a fan on the back of the unit. Does it run?

3. If you have a dedicated thermostat control for LP, is it set to maximum?

4. Test in section 8.7 of the manual would prove if the thermistor is bad.

1. Yes. Camper is level.
2. 12 volt Fan is in the area but I’ve not seen it operate.
3. No dedicated thermostat for LP but frig is set to max cold.
4. Can you post test section 8.7 here?
Old 07-08-2018, 07:05 PM   #14

No reset on the flue.
Old 07-08-2018, 07:07 PM   #15

Thanks for posting service manual. I’ll be going over it tomorrow.
Old 07-08-2018, 07:11 PM   #16

Thanks
Old 09-21-2018, 11:46 PM   #17

Simplest problem

Well I’m finally getting around to post the culprit to my frig problems. The flue pipe was plugged with this, a paper wasp nest.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	99FA61BC-EA31-4C95-B752-D1852B503A6D.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	454.3 KB
ID:	187219  
Old 09-22-2018, 01:01 AM   #18

Thanks for posting that, who would have thought....
Quote:
Well I’m finally getting around to post the culprit to my frig problems. The flue pipe was plugged with this, a paper wasp nest.

Tags
cooling, propane, refrigerator