Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-07-2017, 09:22 AM   #1

Dometic rear unit stopped cooling 2016 Cedar Crek

We have a 2016 Cedar Creek 38CKTS and rear AC stopped cooling. On the road so local AC shop says needs to be replaced as not repairable. One month past two year mark.

Not sure of warranty, as we did not buy extended.

Any thoughts before we spend this much?
dmclaughln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 10:43 AM   #2

If you have an extended warranty it should pay for a replacement, less your deductible and if they prorated it for service life.
whj77372 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 12:42 PM   #3
Site Team

If it's just two months past warranty, I'd call Dometic and ask them to cover it. All they can do is tell you no, and they might just handle it.
Old 06-20-2017, 07:47 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmclaughln View Post
We have a 2016 Cedar Creek 38CKTS and rear AC stopped cooling. On the road so local AC shop says needs to be replaced as not repairable. One month past two year mark.

Not sure of warranty, as we did not buy extended.

Any thoughts before we spend this much?
Did you try doing a "system reset" on your thermostat? I had the same problem that you describe with my 2015 CC 34RL with a Dometic Comfort Control Center 2 Thermostat. A friend suggested I reset the thermostat and sure enough the rear A.C. is putting out cold air again. Read the Operating Instructions that came with your model thermostat for the System Reset Procedure.

Dave
david-o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 11:06 PM   #5

I experienced the same thing. Turns out that Dometic had a bad batch of 15k units that developed freon leaks and stopped cooling, from around mid 2014 until early 2016. As I recall, Dometic had a fire in one of their plants, and they subbed out the assembly...things went south quickly. I dont guarantee those dates or that story, but thats what a dealer told me recently. Anyway, Dometic is replacing them, and they are offering an additional 2 year warranty for just a few bucks. Don't recall exactly how much. I've read where some fellows are on their third AC unit. I would definitely call Dometic and ask for a replacement.
Old 07-09-2017, 01:52 PM   #6
Papi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidg View Post
I experienced the same thing. Turns out that Dometic had a bad batch of 15k units that developed freon leaks and stopped cooling, from around mid 2014 until early 2016. As I recall, Dometic had a fire in one of their plants, and they subbed out the assembly...things went south quickly. I dont guarantee those dates or that story, but thats what a dealer told me recently. Anyway, Dometic is replacing them, and they are offering an additional 2 year warranty for just a few bucks. Don't recall exactly how much. I've read where some fellows are on their third AC unit. I would definitely call Dometic and ask for a replacement.
FWIW: I had same issue with my 2013 36CKTS. Luckily it blew out a couple months before the two year warranty was up. (Only mention because of time frame).
now in same place.
Papicamper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cooling, dometic