Old 05-21-2019, 08:33 PM   #1

Dometic Reefer not work on 12 volts or 120 but works on Propane.

As in subj, not working on any Elec. But working on propane. Checked the breaker and both the fuses inside the module, and checked the GFI. It has 13.3 volts at the module across the 5 amp fuse housing and 120V at the 120 plug. Has good ground. Control module got wet from condensation. . 5 amp Fuse and control box stunk like burned electrical. Do you all think itís the control module? Have not checked inverter?/converter fuse yet, but getting 13V TO reefer itís prob fine...right? Thanks for any help.

quick83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 08:50 PM   #2
Just as confused as you

You have 13 volts at the fuse so it has to be the control module. You say the module got wet from condensation, there shouldn't be enough condensation to cause problems. Are you sure there isn't rain getting in or water leaking from the ice maker, if you have one?

Camping since 1989, seasonal since 2000
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 08:58 PM   #3
Site Team

Your Sierra doesn't have a 3-way fridge.
It has a 2-way fridge, propane or 110v AC. No 12v DC.
But the propane side needs 12v for electronics.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 08:59 PM   #4

I just watched a video that shows if the 12v heating element goes bad it will cause this prob. I already ordered the module. . 240$. The 5 amp fuse did look a little burnt and smelled. The water is condensation on the cold tube that drips on the module. Been like that for 5 years and I cover box with plastic. The plastic moved and box got wet. If module not fix I guess next is a new 12v heater??? I hate throwing parts at something but Iím not paying stealership and they have Rv for months.
Old 05-21-2019, 09:11 PM   #5

Bikendan thanks. Yea I was confused about that. Do you know how I can see if heater is bad ? I guess I can be sure there is power to heater connection, right? The 110 is good and as I said the 5 amp fuse has 13V. That glass tube fuse had no power across it. I checked it and looked ok but put new one in anyways.
Old 05-21-2019, 09:14 PM   #6

https://youtu.be/7KMHamcidMo
Old 05-22-2019, 02:59 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by quick83 View Post
I just watched a video that shows if the 12v heating element goes bad it will cause this prob. I already ordered the module. . 240$. The 5 amp fuse did look a little burnt and smelled. The water is condensation on the cold tube that drips on the module. Been like that for 5 years and I cover box with plastic. The plastic moved and box got wet. If module not fix I guess next is a new 12v heater??? I hate throwing parts at something but Iím not paying stealership and they have Rv for months.
First, as mentioned previously, there is NO 12 VOLT HEATER. The 12 volts is primarily to supply power to the control module, including propane valve and ignition. If the 5 amp fuse looks bad, assume it is bad, and replace it. Fuses are relatively cheap, and available at any auto parts store, farm store, and most big box stores, in the automotive department.

The price for the module seems rather high to me, but I have not bought one for probably 20 years.

You DO have a 120 volt heating element, but failure is rare. It would be accessed behind the tin work on the left side of the fridge, seen from outdoors.
Photo Lab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 03:05 PM   #8

Dometic Reefer not work on 12 volts or 120 but works on Propane.

I understand now the heater is 110. I did change the fuses as I said before. The module at Dometic is 303$ shipped. I got it for 261$ shipped at dyers rv. I hope not 110 heater cause looks like pain to change and I wasted my 261$. I will then Have a spare if need it if itís not the module. Any other help is appreciated. Thanks.
Old 05-23-2019, 06:40 PM   #9

Thanks to all. I learned a lot about my refrigerator. It was only the glass 5 amp fuse. My bad luck to get a bad fuse when I Replaced the fuse. .
Should have checked the replacement fuse for continuity before installing. I assumed was ok. Put in a good fuse and after that and been 2 hours and temp dropped 2 degrees and no blown fuse YET. It must have been the condensation that got on it and made fuse blow. I can Return the control module, just have to pay shipping.
Old 05-27-2019, 02:54 PM   #10

frig always ran on elec. when the elec. goes out at the campground the frig goes to lp, then when elec returns, frig will not go back to elec. changed one fuse, all look good, but cannot get it to go back to elec. need help

camping couple is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
12 volt, dometic, propane