Old 07-09-2013, 10:19 AM   #1

Dometic refrig climate control

I have a Dometic 2652 refrig with no climate control switch. Apparently this model may or may not have a CC switch. Dometic climate control consists of a heater cable in the door which inhibits condensation freezing when in humid conditions.

My question - since there is no CC switch does this mean that I have CC which is always on, or do I not have a CC heater cable? The wiring diagram posted behind the refrig outside door indicates a circuit for both the refrig lamp and heater cable connected to J2 on the circuit board.

If there is a heater cable, I want to find a way to disable it while dry camping to avoid battery drain.

Old 07-09-2013, 05:47 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Vic View Post
I have a Dometic 2652 refrig with no climate control switch. Apparently this model may or may not have a CC switch. Dometic climate control consists of a heater cable in the door which inhibits condensation freezing when in humid conditions.

My question - since there is no CC switch does this mean that I have CC which is always on, or do I not have a CC heater cable? The wiring diagram posted behind the refrig outside door indicates a circuit for both the refrig lamp and heater cable connected to J2 on the circuit board.

If there is a heater cable, I want to find a way to disable it while dry camping to avoid battery drain.
Sounds like you have found it. Its only a drain if the battery is in use alone (dry camping). If that's the case follow the schematic you have and lift one end of the heater circuit (or install switch) Dometic sketches are color coded and almost self guiding. Make sure to insulate the open end prevent corrosion and wayward connection. The heater circuit is helpful when fridge is used for long periods.

Old 07-09-2013, 05:55 PM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:

If the fridge is not on then all circuits to the fridge are off as well.
So I'm confused why it matters ?

Turbs
Old 07-09-2013, 11:45 PM   #4

I figured it out. The refrig does have a heater cable to prevent icing in humid conditions - which is on automatically whenever the refrig is turned on. When dry camping (12v battery power only) the heater cable still draws about .5 Amp/hr continuously while running on propane.

I followed the wiring diagram posted on the rear of the unit and eventually found that the lamp housing inside the refrig has two 12v wires - one is for the lamp to turn on when the door opens, and the other is the power to the heater cable.

I decided to cut the heater cable wire and splice in a switch next to the lamp. The switch mounted nicely on the bottom of the lamp housing. I can now turn off the 12v heater cable while dry camping, with the refrig on propane, and turn it back on again if I wish to use the climate control feature when on AC power.
Old 07-10-2013, 12:00 AM   #5
Site Team - Lou

Do you have the manual for your fridge?

I was looking at the most current manual I have and it shows a climate control switch in the DM 2652. The switch should be located in the freezer right under the control panel.

If you have a newer PDF, please attach it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1361.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	34986   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1362.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	34987   Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	136
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	34988  

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 12:27 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
Do you have the manual for your fridge?

I was looking at the most current manual I have and it shows a climate control switch in the DM 2652. The switch should be located in the freezer right under the control panel.

If you have a newer PDF, please attach it.
That is where the CC switch on my model is also. No temp adjustment for fridge on my model either, but it works much better on propane than electric.
Old 07-10-2013, 06:43 AM   #7
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnleann View Post
That is where the CC switch on my model is also. No temp adjustment for fridge on my model either, but it works much better on propane than electric.
This is because the fridge operates by boiling ammonia; not by using a compressor. Propane is more thermally efficient than the electric heater element; it can supply way more heat quickly.

Does your fridge have a thermistor in the cooling compartment or does it have a manually adjustable (but electronic) or automatic control? They all have a means of adjusting the temperature inside (provided it is working properly).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130507_213201.jpg
Views:	1425
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	35002   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fridge Old Style.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	35.9 KB
ID:	35003   Click image for larger version

Name:	New Control panels.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	35004  

HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Old 07-10-2013, 09:15 AM   #8

I called Dometic support about the lack of a CC switch on my unit. For some reason, they decided to build some of the 2652 models so that the heater cable is automatically on when the refrig is running. I have no idea why, other than to save the cost of installing the switch?
Old 07-10-2013, 09:37 AM   #9
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
I called Dometic support about the lack of a CC switch on my unit. For some reason, they decided to build some of the 2652 models so that the heater cable is automatically on when the refrig is running. I have no idea why, other than to save the cost of installing the switch?
I have ceased being amazed by the number of RV design engineers who never used an RV in their lives...

HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Old 07-10-2013, 09:52 AM   #10

In our last TT, the fridge was model 2652, and did have the switch. It would have been built 2004 or 2005. Must be a cost-cutting move to eliminate the switch. Now that we have downsized, and have a smaller fridge, it not only doesn't have the switch, I see no climate control heater on the schematic.

Bob

2013 Rockwood HW296
w4drr is offline   Reply With Quote