Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-19-2015, 06:26 PM   #1

Question Dometic Refrigerator does not cool on propane

Hi All! After reading all your extremely helpful tips, we now find ourselves with a problem. We have a 2015 Coachmen Freelander 21QB with a Dometic refrigerator. The frig works just fine on generator and plugged in but will not work when it is switched over to propane ... auto or propane settings (the check light comes on). Propane sensor reads full and the water heater and range work just fine. Husband pulled the outside panel and everything looks ok (as far as he could tell). We would appreciate any helpful ideas of what to look at. Thanks!!
dbutusov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 06:35 PM   #2

Do you have the battery disconnected?

If so hook it up or turn it on.
Old 07-19-2015, 06:42 PM   #3

I have the same issue- the 12V also works (in addition to 110 V via the genset or shorepower). However, the system does not want to stay lit when switched to propane. clicks/sparks and then almost lights,, does not catch. the 12V setting is sure hard on the batteries....
MarsMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 06:44 PM   #4

Thanks, Ford Idaho. Sorry, kind of new to RV. If you mean the 12 volt battery under the steps, it is plugged in and lights, etc. work.
Old 07-19-2015, 06:46 PM   #5

Thanks, Marsman. We only hear it click once and then silence. Soon thereafter the check indicator comes on.
Old 07-19-2015, 06:51 PM   #6

yea- I get that warning indicator too. I am having it looked at by the dealer tomorrow.. i will post an update
MarsMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 06:54 PM   #7

Thanks, MarsMan. Thinking we may end up that route too.
Old 07-19-2015, 07:01 PM   #8
Site Team

If you have not run the fridge for a while, you may need to turn it on and off several times. The fridge uses a very low flow of propane, so it there is any air in the line it will take several tries to light. Be sure to turn it off then on again to reset. On some, you may need to pull the fridge fuse to accomplish the reset.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 07:01 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbutusov View Post
Thanks, Marsman. We only hear it click once and then silence. Soon thereafter the check indicator comes on.
Mine will do that occasionally, but it usually catches on the second or third try.

Another thing.....and please forgive my lack of knowledge regarding terminology....but I know that sometimes the piece where the pilot light is needs to be adjusted/moved.

I hope you figure it out.
Days Camped 2015: 40
Days Camped 2016: 03
Christian_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 09:44 PM   #10

When switching to LP you need to remove the outside cover and do a visual inspection of the flame. If it's not burning a pure blue flame then the canister will not get hot enough to function properly. Debris will will fall through the flu and block the flame on the burner. Need to have a canister of air to blow out the burner.
wowzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 10:14 PM   #11

I see it's a 2015 so I would assume that the battery is good but it may be worth checking. The battery also needs to be fully charged ---- the ignition is 12V.
bruceatlam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 09:24 AM   #12

Thanks everyone for the suggestions and help. Husband used a compressor to blow everything clean but it still does not ignite. Battery is fully charged. The books reads that it will try to ignite for 45 seconds but we only hear one click (not several like our boiler in our house) and then silence, then another click about two minutes later. This cycles three times and then the check light goes on. We tried turing it off and then on as suggested but no luck. Guess it is time to see the professionals. Thanks again everyone for your help. Will let you know what we find out.
Old 07-20-2015, 12:01 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
If you have not run the fridge for a while, you may need to turn it on and off several times. The fridge uses a very low flow of propane, so it there is any air in the line it will take several tries to light. Be sure to turn it off then on again to reset. On some, you may need to pull the fridge fuse to accomplish the reset.
X2 on Flybob's comment
It does have a very small gas supply line from the RV's main gas line and will take a while for the propane to reach the pilot light in a strength to stay lit. If you haven't used it in a while it has to push out the atmospheric air first and then get the gas to to pilot. Also the thermocouple must be directly above the pilot flame when it does light or it will let it go out again and again. Resetting several times will help pull the propane, but I usually go inside and lite the stove burners first to get propane up closer in the main lines. Then my refrigerator seems to light quickly.
Also, make sure the propane is turned ON and the bottle is not empty...just say'n...it has happened to someone before.
D_B Travelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 12:05 PM   #14

Does the propane light everything else (stove, hot water)? If not you may have to purge the gas lines. Just light your stove top burner for a few min. Also, i had a similar problem once and i switched from auto to gas then back to auto a few times and it lit. Not sure if that helps but good luck.
vanreever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 12:12 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_B Travelers View Post
X2 on Flybob's comment
It does have a very small gas supply line from the RV's main gas line and will take a while for the propane to reach the pilot light in a strength to stay lit. If you haven't used it in a while it has to push out the atmospheric air first and then get the gas to to pilot. Also the thermocouple must be directly above the pilot flame when it does light or it will let it go out again and again. Resetting several times will help pull the propane, but I usually go inside and lite the stove burners first to get propane up closer in the main lines. Then my refrigerator seems to light quickly.
Also, make sure the propane is turned ON and the bottle is not empty...just say'n...it has happened to someone before.
^This is what I have to do everytime I try to run on propane... Stove is at the end of the line, so if it lights and stays burning, everything else in front of it will have the supply of propane to run.

J.
jcrayford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 12:16 PM   #16

If you are setting it to gas while the refrigerator is still cold from electric use it will not light. it wont light until the refrigerator says it is warming up and needs to be cooled down. the flame does not stay lit all the time. If the check light does not come on it is all well. The new electronic ignition refers do not burn all the time just when needed to cool down the unit.
If you are lighting the refrig. when it is warm and it comes on and immediately goes out or to check , cycle it several times to be sure LP is getting to the burner.

The refrig, will not work at all without 12volts to the refrigerator control board.
hillsdaletc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 12:17 PM   #17

Thanks for the assistance. The refrigerator has been working great since April of 2015 on auto (switching between propane, generator and plugged in while at home). The refrigerator now works fine on generator and plugged in at home only. The problem when using the propane started this past weekend. Everything else that uses propane (water heater, furnace, stove, oven) work just fine. Thinking it may be a faulty ignitor (not sure that is what you call it). It tries three times to light and then the "check" light comes on. We never get a flame. Fuses (good), battery (fully charged), propane (nearly full), blew out any dust or debris.
Old 07-20-2015, 12:20 PM   #18

There are no pilot lights on the new models. except a few lower priced models with pilot Water heaters. Ignighters light the lp when called for.
hillsdaletc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 12:29 PM   #19

Thanks for the info hillsdaletc. Cannot figure out why everytime we try to use "gas only" option the refrigerator will not work. Sounds like it is trying to start up three times (only one click each time) and then the check light comes on. We have tried resetting it several times (turning on and off) but get the same results. (Just fine when plugged in at home and while using the generator.) We will try turning the refrigerator off, let it warm up and then try starting it up on "gas only".
Old 07-20-2015, 01:58 PM   #20
Mod free 5er

Try resetting the stack temperature hi limit.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Refrigerator Overheat sensor.JPG
Views:	237
Size:	190.4 KB
ID:	83464  

Tags
dometic, propane, refrigerator