Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-16-2014, 04:44 PM   #61
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freds342 View Post
Dometic recommends that any vent fans be installed well above the burner in the vent, not below the burner or any other place in the compartment.

They also have stated, on other forums, that proper installation design doesn't require fans. (I guess they didn't expect reefers in slides!)
I mounted my two fans directly above the burner so they blow the entire length and width of the back.
Old 06-17-2014, 08:06 AM   #62
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcheatwood View Post
Still can't get frig temp below 40°, even with 3 fans on. So this morning I direct wired elected heating element as described in video I watched. Hoping.

Sent from my XT907 using Forest River Forums mobile app
Direct wired heat element all night. 20 hr's. Only got down to 40° in frig. Guess heating element is the problem? Time to take it in for service.

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 02:21 PM   #63
Site Team

dcheatwood, what fridge do you have? I have a Dometic RM 1350. I have notice temp getting up to 45 deg on hot days.
I did add screens to my openings in the vents top and bottom. Wondering if Im restricting too much air movement.
My fans do blow upward. I have no wall or baffle in my top vent like in your pic.
Just a note on that: dealer had to make a wall of caulking (1 1/2" high) to stop rain water from coming in the top vent and running down on my floor inside.

Zelda the campin dog
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 06:25 PM   #64

Quote:
Direct wired heat element all night. 20 hr's. Only got down to 40° in frig. Guess heating element is the problem? Time to take it in for service.

A good airflow across the back of the unit is much needed to dissipate the heat.
PhoneDude 8289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 02:01 PM   #65
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platokidd View Post
dcheatwood, what fridge do you have? I have a Dometic RM 1350. I have notice temp getting up to 45 deg on hot days.
I did add screens to my openings in the vents top and bottom. Wondering if Im restricting too much air movement.
My fans do blow upward. I have no wall or baffle in my top vent like in your pic.
Just a note on that: dealer had to make a wall of caulking (1 1/2" high) to stop rain water from coming in the top vent and running down on my floor inside.

Mine is the dometic 2652 if I'm reading it correctly. Thats the number on the tin plate blocking the flue. I've made several mods trying to get it to cool like my others did. The new thermistor is the only one that made an obvious instant improvement. I'm still waiting for a hot day to test it.

Old 06-28-2014, 02:07 PM   #66
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Mine is the dometic 2652 if I'm reading it correctly. Thats the number on the tin plate blocking the flue. I've made several mods trying to get it to cool like my others did. The new thermistor is the only one that made an obvious instant improvement. I'm still waiting for a hot day to test it.
Have you tried the dual fans on the back?
Old 06-28-2014, 02:21 PM   #67
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Have you tried the dual fans on the back?
Yes. I posted pictures and step by step details of the mod. Didn't seem to help. I have the ori fan still on its auto system and manual switch on the two new fans. I really believe I had a bad thermistor but can't be sure until weather gets hot here again. With the new thermistor, on factory setting, it's holding down to 28 at night and up to 35 in day but cool days have been in mid 70s all week with rain and cloud cover. Should warm up today and tomorrow.

Old 06-28-2014, 02:24 PM   #68
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Yes. I posted pictures and step by step details of the mod. Didn't seem to help. I have the ori fan still on its auto system and manual switch on the two new fans. I really believe I had a bad thermistor but can't be sure until weather gets hot here again. With the new thermistor, on factory setting, it's holding down to 28 at night and up to 35 in day but cool days have been in mid 70s all week with rain and cloud cover. Should warm up today and tomorrow.
Yours is unique as the 1st I've heard with 2 or 3 fans blowing CONTINOUSLY on the back did not lower the inside box temperature.
Old 06-28-2014, 08:40 PM   #69
Site Team

They'll surely matter on a hot day but it would not come down cold like it is now.

Old 06-29-2014, 08:10 PM   #70
Plain Old Member

My fridge is a DM2862. I hadn't seen any cooling problems, but, it hasn't really got hot yet. I threw this computer fan in there right before we left the other day. Just mounted it to a piece of aluminum flat bar I had and screwed it to the frame work. Tight fit, but it doesn't touch anything. I just mounted a toggle switch for now. Hope to put a thermostat switch and neaten up the whole deal later on.

Only fridge I had problems with as far as cooling goes, was the one in our forester, in the slide. In that case, replacing the thermistor with the adjustable one (snipthetip.com) did the trick.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fan.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	304.8 KB
ID:	56721   Click image for larger version

Name:	Switch and Fan.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	317.8 KB
ID:	56722  
2013 Ford F-350 Lariat CC LB PSD
2015 SOB TT - With OC's Awning Poles (#8)
At least in Heaven, RVs will be perfect, and I won't have to keep fixing them.
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 09:42 AM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohnD View Post
My fridge is a DM2862. I hadn't seen any cooling problems, but, it hasn't really got hot yet. I threw this computer fan in there right before we left the other day. Just mounted it to a piece of aluminum flat bar I had and screwed it to the frame work. Tight fit, but it doesn't touch anything. I just mounted a toggle switch for now. Hope to put a thermostat switch and neaten up the whole deal later on.

Only fridge I had problems with as far as cooling goes, was the one in our forester, in the slide. In that case, replacing the thermistor with the adjustable one (snipthetip.com) did the trick.
mine is the DM2852RBX looks like the same wiring diagram, mine did not come with fans, I spent 1hr trying to find out why it would not work (no sound) but would light in gas. after checking everything over and over came to the realization that it is working after I walked away for 20 minutes to get my laser thermometer and the freezer was at 40 and dropping. I know a little about fridges and everyone I worked on has a pump not sure how this thing works...

06 LBZ ,CC 4x
lots of mods
Superglide
jevanb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 09:55 AM   #72

guess I should of searched a little more now I know how it works..lol

06 LBZ ,CC 4x
lots of mods
Superglide
jevanb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 10:20 AM   #73
Site Team

Yep. They are different. No moving parts. Lol

Old 07-02-2014, 03:28 PM   #74
Site Team

Well. The last few days were close to 85° and with all 3 fans on the frig temp rises to 42-45° mid day and drops to 30-32° overnight. That's a big spread. These slide mount frigs just do not perform like my two previous inside frigs.

Old 07-02-2014, 03:46 PM   #75

Given your issues, I decided to check mine as we prepare for 4th of July camping. I'm testing the fridge right now. But even with temps right at 80, the freezer registered 13 after the fridge had been on overnight. Just finishing up a few things in the house and will go out and check the fridge portion and see what it is registering. The sensor has been in there for about 1 hour now, so it should have equalized with the door being closed.
tomjsas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 03:54 PM   #76
Site Team

We're heading to canton Texas tomorrow. It'll be hot and i dont want to bring an ice chest. Our spot will have shade til mid day. Sure wish this thing would cool better. From what I've read, freezer should get into minus numbers. Mine does but frig struggles.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Forest River Forums mobile app

Old 07-02-2014, 04:02 PM   #77
Mod free 5er

Quote:
We're heading to canton Texas tomorrow. It'll be hot and i dont want to bring an ice chest. Our spot will have shade til mid day. Sure wish this thing would cool better. From what I've read, freezer should get into minus numbers. Mine does but frig struggles.

Do you have internal fans?
Old 07-02-2014, 04:27 PM   #78

Quote:

I have found that our fridge works better on gas than on A/C. I think it has to do with the gas heating the ammonia more efficiently. Another thing that can affect the temperature is where the internal thermal couple is located on the fins. Higher up should make things colder and lower will make them warmer. Even though I have a temperature control I moved the thermal couple higher up the fin to give me a lower overall temperature.
keith_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 06:13 PM   #79
Site Team

Yes. I have 3 rear fans and one inside. I have an adjustable thermistor. The tan paint job and not having a roof vent have to be the issues.

Old 07-02-2014, 07:32 PM   #80

Quote:
Yes. I have 3 rear fans and one inside. I have an adjustable thermistor. The tan paint job and not having a roof vent have to be the issues.

From talks I had with Dometic the lack of vertical venting is an issue when it comes to overall efficiency. This was the reason for adding the fan/fans and requiring a shield of some type to force the hot air out the upper vent.
keith_h is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dometic, refrigerator, fan