Old 05-31-2014, 07:08 AM   #31
Site Team

Hook your new fans to 12v and listen to them before you install them
Even PC case fans make some noise. Some much louder than others.

1999 Suzuki Intruder Motorcycle
Blue Ox WD hitch, AirLift load levelers

Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41,
2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 07:23 AM   #32
Papi

RickV: I'll call the service shop this week and see if I can find out what they did. Disconnecting is not out of the possibilities though! LOL.
DC: Yes...thats the [annoying] sound all right! Just loud enough to constantly grab your attention and ruin a good movie...or book!

Papicamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 11:10 AM   #33
Papi

Got the Answer

Got word back from my warranty repair guys. Dometic actually did authorize a fan assy replacement. The new one was installed somewhat lower in the back of reefer than the original also. Quiet and working fine, even during some 90+ days recently...knock on wood. Therefore, go for the replacement from Dometic.
Regards,
Papicamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 12:11 PM   #34

Thanks Papi, Not sure if I will go that route already had the "Shop" do em once or just eliminate the factory fans and replace/relocate with PC fans.
RickV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 01:34 PM   #35

New Trailer - Noisy vent fan

We had our new trailer out for the first extended trip last week and I certainly noticed that noisy (high pitched whirring sound) that others have mentioned here. It did stop at those times when the outside air temperature was lower and, I'm assuming, when the fan could shut off.

Is this noise caused by the fan causing the metal housing bracket to vibrate?

Sounds like others have developed some great fixes for this issue. A bit of advice on this would really be appreciated.

My fridge is in the slide, and I have two (a lower and an upper) exterior vent cover. When I take off the upper cover, there's a kind of shroud made of two pieces of thin panelling. If I look over top of this I can just see the fan. I've attached a picture of what I see when I take off the vent cover. The top piece of panelling is just attached to the bottom piece with three screws. I can remove that piece easily, however it would be still be a challenge with the bottom piece in place to get my hands/tools inside to do what is needed.

Where is this bottom piece attached and is there a way to remove it, or will I need to work within that opening (five inches or so)?

Thanks!Click image for larger version

Name:	upper vent window.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	54652
Nortie16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 02:02 PM   #36
NELA

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcheatwood View Post
Mine was a constant, never stop, high pitch squeal like a tiny jet engine.

from David's RAZR M
OK, second attempt; dad blasted 503 error is striking again.

We have the same thing with the 5er. She's in for service right now and that was on the list we presented.

Their response: familiar with that complaint....we'll handle it

I know some have installed their own small computer fans, etc. but since she's still under the first year warranty we figured we'd let our AWESOME dealer handle it, whatever is required to correct that annoying sound that reminds me of a thousand trillion skeeters rioting.

We had the same issue in the V-Lite to begin with but after a few trips it went away. Plus, in the V-Lite the fridge was closer in proximity to the bedroom and it made sleeping difficult. In the 5er it's not as close to the bedroom but still naggervatin' in the salon area.

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 02:28 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nortie16 View Post
We had our new trailer out for the first extended trip last week and I certainly noticed that noisy (high pitched whirring sound) that others have mentioned here. It did stop at those times when the outside air temperature was lower and, I'm assuming, when the fan could shut off.

Is this noise caused by the fan causing the metal housing bracket to vibrate?

Sounds like others have developed some great fixes for this issue. A bit of advice on this would really be appreciated.

My fridge is in the slide, and I have two (a lower and an upper) exterior vent cover. When I take off the upper cover, there's a kind of shroud made of two pieces of thin panelling. If I look over top of this I can just see the fan. I've attached a picture of what I see when I take off the vent cover. The top piece of panelling is just attached to the bottom piece with three screws. I can remove that piece easily, however it would be still be a challenge with the bottom piece in place to get my hands/tools inside to do what is needed.

Where is this bottom piece attached and is there a way to remove it, or will I need to work within that opening (five inches or so)?

Thanks!Attachment 54652
We have the exact same setup and I just finished fixing ours. I took off the top panel and was able to work in the space left, but it was a tight. The bottom panel actually goes all the way down the inside of the refrigerator compartment so there is no way to take it off. I replaced the original fan with two ball bearing computer fans I bought from Amazon.

In order to mount the two fans, I had to drill a couple of extra holes in the bracket it attaches to. I discovered that the bracket can be removed as it is held in place by a self taping screw in each end. Once again it was a tight working space, but I did manage to do it.

When I put it back together I left off the top panel and have had no issues. I have considered sawing away the bottom panel to be the size of the opening, but I haven't done that and worry if it might cause a problem. I would appreciate comments about that. My guess is that it would only help in cooling and couldn't hurt anything, but I am not sure.
rburns4147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 02:52 PM   #38

rburns4147

Thanks for your reply. That's helpful to know I can't remove that bottom piece. So I'll just have to work within that space.

Have you had a chance yet to determine whether what you've done has eliminated or reduced the noise?

Also, which fans did you order from Amazon, and any tips on wiring them?

Thanks again!
Old 06-08-2014, 03:43 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nortie16 View Post
rburns4147

Thanks for your reply. That's helpful to know I can't remove that bottom piece. So I'll just have to work within that space.

Have you had a chance yet to determine whether what you've done has eliminated or reduced the noise?

Also, which fans did you order from Amazon, and any tips on wiring them?

Thanks again!
Yes, we have run the refrigerator and you cannot hear the new fans at all. The one that came with the unit was so noisy that my wife couldn't sleep! After I installed the new ones, I had to climb on a ladder, remove the panel and look to see if they were running just to make sure. So, yes, it did solve the noise problem.

Here are the fans I ordered:

Amazon.com: StarTech.com 9.25cm Ball Bearing Quiet Computer Case Fan with TX3 Connector FAN9X25TX3L (Black): Electronics

I cut the connector off the old fan, then wired both new fans to the old connector with solder and shrink wrap tubing. You could use twist caps if you want. Just keep the red wires together and the black wires together. The new fans also have a yellow wire that you will not use. Cut that wire off. Before you mount the fans, connect them to a 12 volt source (your car battery will work) and check to see that they are blowing up. If not, simply turn one or both over so that they do blow up.

If you do this, I think you will be really satisfied.

Good luck and if you have more questions, don't be afraid to ask.
rburns4147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 04:33 PM   #40

Thanks!

Sounds good. I'm ordering the fans.

Tags
dometic, refrigerator, fan