Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-26-2018, 09:35 PM   #1

Dometic Refrigerators / Rockwood's Design

It seems to me that when one breaks it is best to just replace the entire unit.

I have had nothing but problems with getting replacement parts and reputable service reps to fix the unit (DM2852).

Plus the cabinet in which the unit is housed in has an 11/2 inch drop from the front of the cabinet to the back which automatically makes the unit not level even though the trailer is level.

Perplexed with Rockwood's design and definitely perplexed with Dometic Customer Service.
NS74CH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 10:01 AM   #2
Site Team

Are the parts you're trying to get parts for warranty repair?
What parts have you needed?

Can you post a pic of the cabinet and the unlevel issue?
In most cases the inside of the cabinet doesn't matter as the fridge is mounted by the frame at the front, so as long as the cabinet front is plumb when the RV is level, the fridge will be level.
Old 11-27-2018, 10:21 AM   #3
Pickin', Campin', Mason

How old is your R/V?

Dometic has been super to me the couple times I've contacted them.

A 1-1/2" drop seems awfully excessive. As mentioned, could you post photos of the install?

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 01:31 PM   #4

I'm taking my 2017 back in for the third time to fix the frig. Of course, they now say that I'm out of warranty. Funny, it has the same problem EVERY time.
2010 24’ Fleetwood Pegasus
2017 24’ Flagstaff Shamrock 23IKSS
2015 Ram 3500 Diesel MegaCab 4X4 SRW
47driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 02:42 PM   #5

Whenever one of those goofy propane Dometic fridges taps out, I always suggest getting a AC/DC compressor fridge from Dometic. Direct fit replacement for the propane variety. Only use about 4AH in DC mode. Not as fickle as the propane ones in hot summer situations. No internal air flow cooling issues.
Mad Cow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 03:09 PM   #6

Hmm...sounds like an option.
2010 24’ Fleetwood Pegasus
2017 24’ Flagstaff Shamrock 23IKSS
2015 Ram 3500 Diesel MegaCab 4X4 SRW
47driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 03:22 PM   #7

My "goofy propane Dometic fridge" just completed it's 12th camping season without a hiccup.

-- Chuck
Chuck_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 03:30 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck_S View Post
My "goofy propane Dometic fridge" just completed it's 12th camping season without a hiccup.

-- Chuck
And my Dometic compressor fridge has covered 908,000 miles of travel and has run 24/7 most of its life. Just a LED light replaced. And the compressor models operate up to 30 degrees off level.
Old 11-27-2018, 03:41 PM   #9
Site Team

Wow! Didn't take long for NS74CH's thread to get derailed did it?

Hopefully they'll come back and let us know more about their issue.
Old 12-04-2018, 06:28 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by NS74CH View Post
It seems to me that when one breaks it is best to just replace the entire unit.

I have had nothing but problems with getting replacement parts and reputable service reps to fix the unit (DM2852).

Plus the cabinet in which the unit is housed in has an 11/2 inch drop from the front of the cabinet to the back which automatically makes the unit not level even though the trailer is level.

Perplexed with Rockwood's design and definitely perplexed with Dometic Customer Service.
I can't tell from the post what outcome you are looking for.

In my 2 experiences with Rockwood and Flagstaff A-frames (both bought new), fridge performance was marginal because the installation didn't meet Dometic specs, and the plastic Dometic grills for the air flow were overly restrictive. These are both design and workmanship deficiencies. I downloaded the installation and operating instructions from the Dometic web site.

I was able to fix the workmanship issues myself with packing insulation into the voids around the fridge, sealing off and reducing the effective size of the rear compartment with Reflectix and furnace duct tape. On one, I had to extend the chimney exhaust towards the upper grill. And I added to and moved the baffle to meet Dometic specs.

The poor grill design - excellent at keeping water out, not so good at promoting good air flow - was solved with tie wrapping computer case fan(s) directly to the upper grill to push ot air out.

Although both were in warranty, I didn't see anybody caring enough to make all the changes, as the fridge performance was very inconsistent before I did the work.

After making the changes listed above, the fridges are rock solid performers, verified with a wireless thermometer inside the fridge.

just my thoughts and experiences
Fred W
then 2014 Rockwood A122 A-frame
now 2019 Flagstaff T21TBHW A-frame
2008 Hyundai Entourage minivan
camping Colorado and adjacent states one weekend at a time
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 03:31 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck_S View Post

-- Chuck
The Dometic in our 2007 HTT, worked perfectly for the 10 years we owned it. No hiccups either.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 03:40 PM   #12

Now for the real question... how well did those absorption fridges work when the unit wasn’t level? The compressor models will function just fine up to 30 degrees off level.
Old 12-04-2018, 04:03 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cow View Post
Now for the real question... how well did those absorption fridges work when the unit wasn’t level? The compressor models will function just fine up to 30 degrees off level.
Don't know about you but would never set up camper at a 30 degree slope . have had dometic fridges for over 20 years and never had issues because of out of level . my TH now is going on 4 years fridge has never been off and cools great .
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 04:08 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR.M View Post
Don't know about you but would never set up camper at a 30 degree slope . have had dometic fridges for over 20 years and never had issues because of out of level . my TH now is going on 4 years fridge has never been off and cools great .
Never suggested that. Only stating manufacturers specs. But it is not unrealistic to stop somewhere temporarily and be parked at a lean and it is impractical to level the unit. An absorption fridge can choke in that scenario whereas a compressor fridge will take it in stride. And a compressor fridge needs no exterior venting.
Old 12-04-2018, 04:15 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cow View Post
Never suggested that. Only stating manufacturers specs. But it is not unrealistic to stop somewhere temporarily and be parked at a lean and it is impractical to level the unit. An absorption fridge can choke in that scenario whereas a compressor fridge will take it in stride. And a compressor fridge needs no exterior venting.
Never in 20 years have i had an issue like that . moving down the road , parking etc . compressor fridges are great but so are the gas absorption . they have been around longer . most issues are factory's not installing correctly . when off grid the using propane is a big plus . can last over a week with out the need for a generator . can't do that with a compressor fridge .
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 04:23 PM   #16

Well since many Dometic compressor fridges on use about an average 4AH, and only when the compressor has to cool things down, not sure it is as dramatic a difference as you suggest. And a non issue if one has solar working the batteries. And wouldn’t that make sense to do if truly boondocking for extended periods?

Tags
dometic, refrigerator, rockwood