Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-20-2012, 03:17 PM   #1

Dometic RM 1350 frige

Got this fridge in a coach from a second owner, so have no warranty. The unit was only powered up for an hour or so, before I got it.

I've had it for two weeks now, and at first it SUPER cooled taking the lower compartment down to almost freezing. Wife reduced the setting from 5 to 3.

Ever since, the unit will not go below 50 or so in the lower compartment and 26 in the freezer, no matter what setting it's on. Local tech said baffling was awful and repaired same; no help.

Then said he "bypassed" the unit as a diagnostic, but all I can see is a DIFFERENT thermistor plugged in and hanging out the back of the unit. I guess that would make the unit run harder to try and get the temp lower.

Still can't get the temps lower than mentioned above. I suspect that the main switch may be screwy since is shows a temp in the little window that is consistently 8 degrees higher than the actual temp in the box.

Now the tech is talking replacing the "cooling unit" which is $1K-2K. Could a cooling unit have failed on such a new unit? Is this common for Dometic to have such poor quality control?

Dometic CS told him they would not stand good for the repair parts regardless of the age of the unit because I'm not the original owner. Now I bought the coach at such a GREAT price that I could easily afford to replace the cooling unit. But I sure don't want to do that and then find out it was just a $.50 fuse or something.

Advice? Help??

Thanks

Boowho
boowho is offline   Reply With Quote