Old 07-09-2010, 09:51 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad1032 View Post
Ok day 3 with the new fans, its been about 100 degrees here every day, yesterday it went into defrost mode and went to 40, this morning it was back at 35, so I for 1 am glad i added the new fans on top,
bad1032, thanks a bunch for helping out in this post and the results of your fixes.

UPDATE: After 3 weeks my fridge has been working well and holding an average of 36 degrees on both gas and or electric. We have been dry camping twice for 3 nights each with it and the modifications to the venting and the extra fan on top in the vent are working well.

Yesterday and today were the best test as we had 95 degree temps here and temps inside the RV were around 90. The temp was holding well at 36 degrees until my wife started to unload after our outting. Then my friend opened both doors and stood there in front of it deciding which beer he wanted. The temp soared to 45 degrees but within about 4 hours in dropped down to 40 and by this morning was back down to 36.

While dry camping I noted that even though the temps inside the RV were around 82 and outside temps were around 75 that the fans would come on and run quite a lot in the afternoon and evening, sometimes running for more than an hour straight. The fridge was on the opposite side of the rig from the western setting sun so not in direct sunlight on that side to heat it up.

I am very encouraged by the results so far but have just ordred a small fan unit from a seller on Ebay that attaches to the cooling fins inside the fridge and gets it's power from the internal light in the fridge. From the comments I am seeing the fan unit is making a huge difference in performance and I am looking forward to seeing what it will do.

Note to anyone having fridge problems. Be sure you don't have friends who like your beer!

I will update again once I have tested the internal fans.

Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 04:42 PM   #22

Rm1350 - computer fans

Instead of using the $41.00 fans from grainger. Go to radio shack or any computer store. Buy a 12 volt cooling fan as they are the same thing. Should be under $15.00 per fan and they work perfect, exactly what dometic is installing.

Old 08-21-2010, 05:42 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by JESCOSALES View Post
Instead of using the $41.00 fans from grainger. Go to radio shack or any computer store. Buy a 12 volt cooling fan as they are the same thing. Should be under $15.00 per fan and they work perfect, exactly what dometic is installing.
No the are not the same thing. What I installed is bigger in size and has more than 3 times the pulling power (CFM) than the stock fans and as such the increased price. You also have to be careful to check the specifications on these fans as not all of them are made to be mounted horizontally. Most computer fans are mounted vertically.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 12:01 PM   #24

I have had the same problems with my Dometic RM 1350. Do you know if FR has issued a recall? Have you had any further problems since the 2010 fix? MattM Btw, how can I flush out the water dispenser? The anode sloughed off particles and they are endless.
Old 09-25-2012, 12:25 PM   #25
Proud Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattM View Post
I have had the same problems with my Dometic RM 1350. Do you know if FR has issued a recall? Have you had any further problems since the 2010 fix? MattM
MattM, When I had a warranty issue with my refrigerator, I took it to a local RV repair facility, and they made a warranty claim directly with Dometic. I don't even know that FR was even involved. Please note, NWJeeper's post is specific to getting better performance out of the refrigerator in a hot climate. If your refrigerator is not working properly, you may have a defective fridge like we did.

Frankly, it sounds like you may be struggling with the fridge in your RV like we did for the first year we owned it. May I suggest you review my troubleshooting post (#20) in this thread: Refrigerator doesn't work ? That may help you determine if your refrigerator is defective.

If it is working properly, but just not performing well enough, I think NWJeeper has the best improvement upgrade I have ever seen.

Good luck!

Reese SC WD System 800/10,000 lbs
1976 Cessna 177RG
Wife, son, twin daughters, and mother

red.jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote