Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-08-2016, 07:51 AM   #1

Dometic RM2351 transfer issue

Our '13 FR 3100SS is new to us and I am working out some bugs currently. On this trip I noticed that while connected to shore power that I could hear the refrig propane coming on. It stays lit for around 15-20 minutes. It was my understanding that when connected to shore power that the propane cycle would not be needed. So is this a control panel issue? I checked that AC power was present at the outlet for the unit which according to the manual should cause the unit to transfer to electric power.
Any thoughts on where to go next???????

wogden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 08:13 AM   #2

Just sounds like you have the fridge set to LP mode instead of AUTO mode. AUTO mode will switch to LP when no AC is available (no genny or shore power) and switch to AC automatically when AC available. Of course this is predicated on your model having an AUTO mode.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 08:51 AM   #3

X2 let us know what you fine
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 12:01 PM   #4

No, only run it AUTO mode so it shoud be switching according to the Dometic web site. I am going to check the two fuses in the control panel and hope one is blown! Let you know what I find.

Old 10-08-2016, 01:08 PM   #5

You didn't say if you could manually select AC.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 04:05 PM   #6

this unit is the basic RM2351 with a on/off button, gas on/off button and two indicator lights that indicate auto use and one that says check.
Checked the fuses in the control panel. They are (2) good. If you unplug the unit from AC it switches to propane within 10 seconds and fires the heater. Plugging in the AC reverses that action immediately. There is 12 volts Dc present at the terminal so all seems well with the two power sources.
Guess I will wait until Monday and call Dometic Service to see what they say I should do next. Will update when I know more.

Old 10-08-2016, 04:46 PM   #7
Site Team

You say when connected to shore power you can hear the propane coming on and staying lit for ~about 20 minutes. Does it repeat this sequence at some interval? If it does, and you're sure there's 120 volts at the control board terminals, then I'd say that you have a control board issue.
Old 10-08-2016, 05:06 PM   #8

yes, when we were up in PA on Thursday night I woke up at 2am and could hear the rumble of the burning propane. Further investigation indicated that it was coming from the area of the frig. Around 3am I heard it come on again. Both times it seemed that it was on for around 15-20 minutes. In the morning I got my meter out and checked that AC was present at the outlet feeding the frig. Also checked the 12 volts. They both were present.
Now that I know the fuses are good I too am leaning toward the control panel. I am connected to shore power now at my sons while we visit for the weekend and then off to CA. I have been going out often to see if the gas is lit.No luck so far. Might be an intermittent thing.

Old 10-09-2016, 10:46 PM   #9

Check the ground wire close to the propane shot off valve behind the frig!!
You have to remove the screw and clean the terminal and reattache with the screew and the star washer.
It did fix that same problem on my dometic.2351.
Jonol is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dometic