Old 04-11-2015, 12:27 PM   #1
Exclamation Dometic RM2852 oddity..

Hello all,

I have a rather odd issue that I've just run into that my tech and I can neither one explain at the moment and he has to wait until Monday to reach Dometic to find out what could possibly cause the issue we are running into.

Recently I had a cooling problem with my RV fridge. It started after I had to thaw the fridge out since it had formed ice on the fins. I thawed out, turned it back on, and went about my business since I have done the same with the freezer in the past as it had built up ice on the back as is normal.

Noticed the next morning that the fridge was not cooling nearly as well as it had been previously but the freezer was working just fine with no issues. I didn't think much of it till it took a turn for the worse and the entire fridge warmed up to temps that no longer were safe to store foods in. It would occasionally cool off and even freeze water droplets on the fins but then return to warmer temps again.

Now here's the thing, I thought it just might be the thermistor but turns out that it tested fine. We even disconnected the thermistor which let's the unit run wide open to cool off to no avail.

The freezer remained fine but the fridge just wouldn't stay cool with any consistency. Solution we thought, replace the cooling unit as this was a common problem with dometic cooling units with a possible blockage in the tubing.

So I ordered a remanufactured Amish cooling unit to replace the standard dometic unit and had it replaced yesterday. It's been 24 hours now since it was completed, the freezer is ice cold but the fridge is still warm and fins are barely cool to the touch. The thermistor is set to the highest point on the fin and yet no change in how it's operating other than the fact that previously it would get cold for a bit and then warm back up again. Didn't matter whether it was day or night and the weather has been mild here in Florida with the temps only hitting the mid 80's where we're at for a few hours out of the day.

I'm at a complete loss here. Has anyone had any experience like this or heard of this with a brand new cooling unit being installed? I mean these units are tested well before they leave the Amish builder in Indiana and these folks have a flawless reputation which is why I bought the cooling unit so it doesn't seem likely that there is any issue with the brand new cooling unit.

Any suggestions or help at all would be appreciated.

Rob Andrews

2005 Forest River Cardinal 33LX
2004 Ford F350 FX4
randrews is offline   Reply With Quote