Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-18-2012, 10:37 AM   #1

Dometic Thermostat

Last year when it was super hot out my tstat wouldn't kick on the ac until I had a can of compressed air upside down to blow cold air on it to cool it down. Is there a fix for this besides a new tstat? I've read online where this is a common problem. Would my dealer or Cherokee cover this under warranty since it is under 1year old?
2001 F-350 Powerstroke
1995 F-350 7.5L 460
Numerous Ford and New Holland Tractors up to 135hp. Bobcat 773.
cre10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 11:31 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

What thermostat do you have? Also sounds like you were in 'heat" mode. By blowing air on it and cooling it down, that would make it call for heat, and not AC. Regardless, it should be covered under warranty.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 11:35 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by windrider View Post
What thermostat do you have? Also sounds like you were in 'heat" mode. By blowing air on it and cooling it down, that would make it call for heat, and not AC. Regardless, it should be covered under warranty.
I will have to look at what model it is. It was definitely not in heat mode. When it is super hot the tstat doesn't want to engage the AC. Blowing cold air on it cools it off and will kick the AC on. I've read online where lots of other people have had this issue, which is where I got the idea to blow canned air on it to cool it.
2001 F-350 Powerstroke
1995 F-350 7.5L 460
Numerous Ford and New Holland Tractors up to 135hp. Bobcat 773.
cre10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 03:24 PM   #4

If it is one of the new Duo Therm LCD thermostats there is a senor under the plastic cover that has a limit switch of like 120 degrees. I did a walk-thru on a new Wildwood travel trailer with my neighbor in February. The mechanic told us that they could not figure out for the longest time why these new tstats will would not turn on the AC in a trailer that had been sitting out in the heat. He told us to take the cover off, put a finger over the sensor located on the bottom right if my memory serves me right, and it will read your body temperature around 100 degrees and the AC will kick on. Obviously, genius idea by Duo Therm because the mechanic said they have never been able to figure out why they did that. I will tell you though, that LCD thermostat is nice. My analog one is all over the place trying to get the temperature right in my trailer, and my neighbors is right on the money at what he sets his at. I am going to update mine to this new thermostat, and will live with taking the cover off when it is blazing hot to turn the AC on.