Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2011, 08:39 AM   #11
Site Team - Lou
 
Herk7769's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: South Eastern PA
Posts: 21,168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triguy View Post
To the OP, here's a list of 9 items to help prolong your battery's life (again, unabashedly stolen from Trojan) ...

2. 50% (or less) discharges are recommended.
I think you meant "NOT recommended".
__________________

__________________

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 09:10 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus
 
Triguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Southeast Wisconsin
Posts: 6,950
Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
I think you meant "NOT recommended".

I know it seems that way (I had to read it twice). But, its like a double negative:

"50% (or less) discharges are recommended"

is the same as saying

"We recommend you discharge no greater than 50%".

Or, something like that. Its their list. Probably written by an English major.
__________________

__________________
Scott
DW, 3 Kids and our Goldens

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 09:52 PM   #13
Site Team - Lou
 
Herk7769's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: South Eastern PA
Posts: 21,168
<sigh>

My head hurts...

I really hate double negatives.
__________________

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 11:09 AM   #14
Member
 
MikeInColo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Lafayette, Colorado
Posts: 98
Back to the original question, I echo what Triguy said in the first post.

I've never seen my fridge light flash like that in the two campers that I've owned. The manufacturer probably calls that an option!

When I dry camp, I can get *maybe* four days out of my batteries, if I'm frugal. Frugal means I follow my wife around the camper and turn off the five lights that she turns on in the camper!
__________________
MikeInColo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 02:58 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
BigDTx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 771
my tank level panel will show me battery charge just like the tank level's - Full, 2/3, 1/3, empty (dead battery)
__________________
BigDTx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 05:00 PM   #16
Site Team
 
acadianbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: St. Paul, Minnesota
Posts: 2,915
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danielflading View Post
my tank level panel will show me battery charge just like the tank level's - Full, 2/3, 1/3, empty (dead battery)
I've found that that panel is worthless. By the time it reachs 2/3, you are toast. You should have something minimal to give you more information; like the Voltminder. (I have no vested interest!)

Digital Voltmeter | VoltMinder.com

I just hooked this little monitor straight into the buss on the converter. Now I much more accurately know the state of charge of my battery. It's only $31. There are more complete and accurate products out there but they cost a whole bunch more. I've found this product to be adequate for my needs.

There are ways to increase battery capacity without going nuts. We bought a Trojan 12 Volt Group 30 with 130 Amp Hrs. We can get 2 days of boondocking pretty handily before reaching 50% discharge.
__________________
http://i421.photobucket.com/albums/pp297/acadianbob/IMG_2757.jpg
2012 F150 FX4 Ecoboost, 2016 Surveyor 274BHS
2003 Yamaha FJR1300, Demco Premiere Slider
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 06:23 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
BigDTx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 771
Quote:
Originally Posted by acadianbob View Post
I've found that that panel is worthless. By the time it reachs 2/3, you are toast. You should have something minimal to give you more information; like the Voltminder. (I have no vested interest!)

Digital Voltmeter | VoltMinder.com

I just hooked this little monitor straight into the buss on the converter. Now I much more accurately know the state of charge of my battery. It's only $31. There are more complete and accurate products out there but they cost a whole bunch more. I've found this product to be adequate for my needs.

There are ways to increase battery capacity without going nuts. We bought a Trojan 12 Volt Group 30 with 130 Amp Hrs. We can get 2 days of boondocking pretty handily before reaching 50% discharge.
Well beleive it or not many people do not know how to use a multimeter, I am not one of them but I have seen many people with no clue trying to use them. I work in aviation and have a few meters. Electrical systems class showed who could and who could not use one. I believe this is why the panel will also give you a battery charge indication for people who do not own a meter, and I have found the panel to be pretty accurate in my TT.

I am thinking of installing a solar battery tender to maintain the charge.
__________________
BigDTx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 06:48 PM   #18
Site Team - Lou
 
Herk7769's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: South Eastern PA
Posts: 21,168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danielflading View Post
my tank level panel will show me battery charge just like the tank level's - Full, 2/3, 1/3, empty (dead battery)
If you read the display manual (attached) you will find that the battery does NOT use the Full 1/3 2/3 indicators; just the lights. See the photo in the wiring diagram.

The "full" light is actually a "charging" light Indicated by the "C" next to it. The "C" will remain lit even on battery until the voltage drops below 12.7 volts or about 90% capacity remaining; when it will go out

2/3 light is actually "Good" (note the "G") it will stay on until about 50% capacity remains then it goes out

1/3 light is "Fair" (note the "F") and remains on until the voltage drops to about 20% capacity when it goes out.

The Dead LED will remain lit until voltage drops to 6 volts at which time you will need a new battery.

PANEL BATTERY READ OUT

CHARGE 12.70 TO 12.85
GOOD 12.10 TO 12.15
FAIR 11.60 TO 11.65
LOW 6.00 TO ALL
VALUES IN D.C. VOLTS
5%

You MUST recharge your battery BEFORE the "Good" light goes out to get the maximum life from your battery.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf Micro Monitor Panel Troubleshooting.pdf (149.2 KB, 11 views)
File Type: pdf KIB Monitor Panel M21 Wireing Diagram.pdf (51.2 KB, 10 views)
__________________

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 06:58 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
BigDTx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 771
Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
If you read the display manual (attached) you will find that the battery does NOT use the Full 1/3 2/3 indicators; just the lights. See the photo in the wiring diagram.

The "full" light is actually a "charging" light Indicated by the "C" next to it. The "C" will remain lit even on battery until the voltage drops below 12.7 volts or about 90% capacity remaining; when it will go out

2/3 light is actually "Good" (note the "G") it will stay on until about 50% capacity remains then it goes out

1/3 light is "Fair" (note the "F") and remains on until the voltage drops to about 20% capacity when it goes out.

The Dead LED will remain lit until voltage drops to 6 volts at which time you will need a new battery.

PANEL BATTERY READ OUT

CHARGE 12.70 TO 12.85
GOOD 12.10 TO 12.15
FAIR 11.60 TO 11.65
LOW 6.00 TO ALL
VALUES IN D.C. VOLTS 5%

You MUST recharge your battery BEFORE the "Good" light goes out to get the maximum life from your battery.
Thanks Herk, I had to run out to the camper and take a look at t he panel, (since it is in the driveway) I swear I have not noticed that it says C,G,F,L for the battery. I stand corrected on the panel read out! everytime I check my battery, it reads C or G (full or 2/3) I have never had a problem with the battery going low or discharging. Knock on wood! We always go to parks with full hook ups. My battery is manly used for the emergency break away, and an I keep it disconnected when we are not towing or camping. Thanks for the heads up on the Panel
__________________
BigDTx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 08:00 PM   #20
Senior Member
 
miatared's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 704
My head hurts too...

Now let me add the following to the discussion: what if you have 2 deep cycle GC2 6V batteries, does this 50% discharge recommendation still hold true ?

I have just installed 2 6V - along with a good marine disconnect switch - and would like to take good care of them.

I am under the impression 6V golf cart batteries will tolerate more of a discharge before sustaining damage, or am I smoking bad weed ?
__________________

__________________
Denis & Diane
2010 Sabre 31REDS
Ford F-250 2011
* Happy Campers *
miatared is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:51 AM.