Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-21-2012, 07:38 PM   #1

Electical disconnect

I was at the local RV shop on Saturday and was talking to the salesman about a buddy of mine who had yellow jackets build a nest where his 30 amp cable went back into the trailer.
He said that there is a kit which is being sold that permits the owner to cut the 25 or so feet off the incoming line, attachs into a plug/bracket with gaskets and replaces the flip open hatch.
the removed power cord then fits into a plug that reconnects to the permenant receptical on the outside of the trailer. \No more stuffing it back into the cavity when your ready to leave.
Just unplug, rollup the cable and stow it in the truck box or in the trailer hatch.

But do you think I can remember the name of the company selling it?
Has anyone used this rather than stuffing stiff wire back into the trailer when its colder out.
Old 08-21-2012, 08:06 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Marinco -is this the one?

I think I know what you mean. I haven't had to do this mod because our cords were always detachable, but this kit from Marinco fits the description...

30 Amp RV Detachable Power Conversion Kit

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 08:28 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triguy
I think I know what you mean. I haven't had to do this mod because our cords were always detachable, but this kit from Marinco fits the description...

30 Amp RV Detachable Power Conversion Kit
That's the kit Different company. Wonder if it is available on line.
Old 08-21-2012, 08:30 PM   #4

They don't list it available in Maine at RV sites. May try amazon or eBay. Wonder if Max tools has something similar. Price in Canada 150 plus 13% tax.
Old 08-21-2012, 08:44 PM   #5

Marinco makes a conversion kit and sells the 30 amp cordsets. I did the conversion earlier this year. I managed to buy a new cordset and inlet and do the whole job for about $102, not including some RV caulk. I've included a few pics of the job I did. I paid $36 for the inlet and $65 for the cordset on ebay. Then I bought a cutting board at a thrift store made from 1/8" thick HDPE plastic for $1.

If you buy just the conversion kit, it's expensive and they supply some parts you don't need. But, if you are removing your old "mousehole" cover, you need the kit because it has the adapter ring to be able to fit the new inlet. Or as I did, just buy an inlet fitting and make your own adapter ring. I cut the cutting board with a jigsaw. Simple.

The Marinco kit comes with a connector to use your old cord. But if all you want is the adapter ring and inlet because you want to buy a complete new cordset, then it gets exensive.

You could also buy just a Marinco connector and boot if you want to use your old cord. I bought these at Overton's Marine on the internet as it was the cheapest price out there. I also bought a 30 amp connector & boot so I could use our old cord as a spare.

Shop around on the internet. I found Amazon was a little too high when I was looking and ended buying on ebay. I am not very impressed with the fit of the Marinco connector into the inlet. The fit is too sloppy to me and does not have a tight twist & click feel to it like it should. Next time I would take a closer look at Conntek. I see that Camping World has switched from Marinco to Conntek.

You'll note in my photos that I have the new Marinco cord beside the old one. The Marinco one is way more flexible, esp. at cold temps. due to finer strands and different jacket material (STE vs SJOW).

One nice thing I have found about this conversion is that you gain a big storage space where the cord used to push into. You may need to put in a removeable lid though.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	004 (535x640).jpg
Views:	150
Size:	26.4 KB
ID:	18475   Click image for larger version

Name:	002 (800x695).jpg
Views:	116
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	18476   Click image for larger version

Name:	001 (640x378).jpg
Views:	133
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	18477  
Old 08-21-2012, 09:06 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilCop4523
They don't list it available in Maine at RV sites. May try amazon or eBay. Wonder if Max tools has something similar. Price in Canada 150 plus 13% tax.
I know Amazon has it, but I often find better prices through AdventureRV or Dyers. I'm not sure how well that works for Canada but worth a look.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote