Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-10-2018, 01:45 PM   #1

Post Electric Cost Considerations

This particular RV Park that we are presently in, in WA gave us a bit of a shock when it came for us to pay our first month's electric bill.

In other cases where the electric cost is rolled onto the monthly space rent, you don't realize the significant cost as such.

However, after our initial shock, this month, I have observed several things that are very interesting.

1. Our current park charges 15 cents per Kilowatt Hour, where other parks are charging anywhere from 7 cents to 10 cents per Kilowatt Hour.

2. I am paying the electric cost for the parks water-pipe heat-tape, (which is unavoidable).

3. The 'Heated Hose' I purchased, draws quite a bit of power and is 'always on' when plugged in.

4. The electric appliances, (water heater and refrig.), that are always on, draw a considerable amount of power, (the current argument about whether or not to keep the water heater on or shut it off when not in use, is considered).

5. The Propane alternative cost in RV Parks vs. other sources. Our park charges $2.05 per gallon, where our next park will be $2.99 and some over $3.00.

Trying to balance the cost of electric over against Propane is a bit of a challenge.
Just me and the Wife
emeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 03:07 PM   #2

Your water heater may only add a tidy sum to the usage if you were heating via the electric element. Don't see a large draw if just heating via propane. You don't need both (elect & propane). Don't think you would gain anything (if on propane) by shutting it down when not needed.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 03:51 PM   #3

$0.15/kwh is not ridiculous considering that most in WA State are paying $0.12+ for electricity. The park is charging the extra 3 cents to maintain the electrical equipment and take care of paperwork.

As for Propane, the "street price" in my town has been $2.99 for a long time. It's not like there are any "price wars" on propane. Only way to get a break is to have a 200 gallon or larger tank.

Remember, those who provide products or service do expect to get paid for their investment of time and capital.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 04:10 PM   #4

An RV fridge uses ALOT of electric compared to a residential fridge....we are seasonal and our next rig will definitely have a residential fridge
heavynlori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 05:59 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavynlori View Post
An RV fridge uses ALOT of electric compared to a residential fridge....we are seasonal and our next rig will definitely have a residential fridge
That may be true, however can you justify the cost of a new refer + whatever installation/modifications that are necessary?

It is also convenient to have a propane backup when no 115 volt power is available.
Just me and the Wife
Old 03-10-2018, 06:03 PM   #6

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
$0.15/kwh is not ridiculous considering that most in WA State are paying $0.12+ for electricity. The park is charging the extra 3 cents to maintain the electrical equipment and take care of paperwork.

As for Propane, the "street price" in my town has been $2.99 for a long time. It's not like there are any "price wars" on propane. Only way to get a break is to have a 200 gallon or larger tank.

Remember, those who provide products or service do expect to get paid for their investment of time and capital.
The Centralia area power is $0.09 I believe.

Where is the fine line between covering labor/product costs and 'price gouging'?
Just me and the Wife
Old 03-10-2018, 09:46 PM   #7

In my park in MA. We are metered and charged $.24 KWH commercial rate. That is the rate from the 2 local power company's. It has been my experience there and in Florida that it is against the law to resale or private charge for electric power. I have always assumed that this is the case everywhere. In Florida we pay $11 KWH residential last I checked. I did the math. When I get back my fridge goes on propane at $2.15 ib.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 09:41 PM   #8

I installed a pair of these. Our electric is part of our seasonal package. It is different only by 30 or 50 Amp sites. They defiantly make money. But there are 1,160sites where we stay and it has a great distribution system and must cost a small fortune to maintain

I was interested to see what I was really drawing.

So I installed these meters I got on Amazon.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1520822483.101777.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	284.8 KB
ID:	164953
Netcomdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 01:18 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by emeth View Post
The Centralia area power is $0.09 I believe.

Where is the fine line between covering labor/product costs and 'price gouging'?
Some Citles, Seattle for example, sell electricity on a tiered schedule. Seattle was $0.0768/kwh for the first 10 kwh PER DAY. Additional kwh per day runs $0.1364.

Puget Sound Energy, which is the other big power company (private) averages $0.108 per kwh for a customer averaging 1000 kwh/month. This includes the service charges (but not utility taxes).

Here in the PNW we're supposed to have the lowest rates around but that may not last long. Seems like every year we get a 10% increase or thereabouts. At that rate in 2015 we'll be paying over double what we are now.

I can see this as an issue for seasonal campers but what would you prefer? That the campground just hide the electric costs in the monthly bill? If they did that then you might end up paying the bill for those who like to run two A/C units 24/7 and keep their interiors at a good temp for hanging beef to age. In colder climes it would be the heaters to save propane. I think I'd prefer to just get a bill based on MY use and if it's too much, just be a little more energy efficient.

Old 03-12-2018, 01:27 PM   #10

I think a lot more campgrounds are going to metered service. The actual meter and meter socket are really pretty inexpensive but it’s the labor time to get an electrician to modify the pedestal. Then there’s the cost of someone reading the meters and administrative costs to bill the camper. I agree, I’m with you, I would rather pay for what I use. I do that when the camper is in the driveway anyway. I put in those watt hour meters just to see what I “do use” in the park I’m in that has no meters and pay for it in a seasonal package. So far, the campground is winning. Lol
Netcomdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 06:26 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netcomdude View Post
I think a lot more campgrounds are going to metered service. The actual meter and meter socket are really pretty inexpensive but it’s the labor time to get an electrician to modify the pedestal. Then there’s the cost of someone reading the meters and administrative costs to bill the camper. I agree, I’m with you, I would rather pay for what I use. I do that when the camper is in the driveway anyway. I put in those watt hour meters just to see what I “do use” in the park I’m in that has no meters and pay for it in a seasonal package. So far, the campground is winning. Lol

Smart Electric Meters are here and have been for a while. Meter Readers are going to be in the same employment class as Buggy Whip makers and Ice Men.

My local PUD will be changing to Smart Meters starting this year.

For a campground it's as simple as how Hotels/Motels know how much to add to your bill for LD phone or Movies. It could all show on their computer screen under your campsite number.

As for the cost of electricians to modify meters, as well as the cost of meters themselves, that's a one time expense that will be ammortized over several years, getting repaid with a small "facility surcharge" on top of your actual electrical consumption.

For large campgrounds that may have a huge tax bill at the end of the year this is the kind of investment that they can write off, dollar for dollar, under IRS "Section 179". For 2018 that's up to $1 Million that can be knocked off the income side of the tax return.

Tags
electric