Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-17-2015, 02:21 PM   #1

electric fire switching off rockwood 8289

Hi, My unit is about a year old, and untill now not really used the electric fire.
it worked fine for a couple of days, then started to switch itself off after a short time. I can switch it back on after a short time, so maybe it is overheating and a thermal cut out is operating? any ideas? The fire does not have a brand name on it but it is has a flame effect with a remote control. I am in england and the dealer I bought from, probably doesnt have the knowledge to diagnose the problem. Any advise or pointers appreciated

peter
the old geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 04:13 PM   #2
Site Team

It sounds like a hi-limit cutout has gotten weak. They're pretty easy to diagnose and replace. The hardest part will be getting to it.
Old 12-17-2015, 04:48 PM   #3

Does the fan/blower come on? If the fan does not work it will trip the limit switch. When it cools down,it resets and allows you to restart until it overheats again. Many also have a built-in thermostat which will turn it off at a certain temperature. Another issue I have seen is with the remote control. I know even in my own camper if I push certain functions on my DVD player remote the fireplace will shutoff because they are using the same signal. So if this happens while you are flipping through the channels it is something to keep in mind.

Aviator Wright-Flyer#1908
1996 Holiday Rambler
2012 Ram 2500HD CTD
KenHwy61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 05:46 PM   #4

thanks guys, it stays on for varying lengths of time, fan is working, and heat shuts off when up to temp , but flame effect is still on, it will then restart as expected, but then it will shut off completely. and not when using other remotes, Bama seams to have the reason, I will have a look inside tomorrow and see how easy it is to find the cut out.
Old 12-17-2015, 09:45 PM   #5

electric fire switching off rockwood 8289

Mine would come on and heat up--then after awhile the heat would cut out for good no matter high high the thermostat was turned up, and the fire place lights would still say on. Then you turn off the fireplace and wait 5 minutes and turn back on then you would have heat again until it overheats and starts all over again.
Called the factory that makes the fire place--they sent a new fan/motor and heating unit free of charge. It was really easy to remove the fire place and replace the heating unit. Now it works just fine.

2014 cedar creek 36ckts
2014 Chevy 3500 1 ton crew cab 4x4 long bed.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
cfiowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 11:03 PM   #6

electric fireplace

I have a 2015 8289ws and finally did some cold weather camping. From day one, my electrical fireplace did the same thing.

I pulled the fireplace out of the cabinet to be sure there was sufficient air available and plugged the unit in and test ran it. It worked fine and did not turn off. I re-installed the unit and went camping.
it ran ok for about an hour then turned off as before.

Very frustrating.

I think the fireplace is made at the same place that makes the tires (lol).
Hope you post the solution.
seidcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 11:52 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by the old geezer View Post
thanks guys, it stays on for varying lengths of time, fan is working, and heat shuts off when up to temp , but flame effect is still on, it will then restart as expected, but then it will shut off completely. and not when using other remotes, Bama seams to have the reason, I will have a look inside tomorrow and see how easy it is to find the cut out.
Hi they have set the heater up to shut down after the room temperature is met to save energy. You have to select how many hours you want the heater to maintain the room temperature with the remote or controls on front of the fire place. 1-8 hours of time is all you can select and it will shut off. Hope they don't get this brilliant idea with my over the counter electric heaters I use to heat the TT with temps a above 32 Deg F out side. . They all ready have done this with the electric blankets and heating pads.

Hope this helps Tim
TimVWulp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 02:26 AM   #8

thanks again fellas I have just set the fire to 8 hours and will see if it stays on before doing anything else, I hope this is the answer!
Old 12-18-2015, 07:11 AM   #9

4 hours and still running, so thanks Tim.
seems an odd way to set up a fire, but I can also see a safety side, if you go out and leave the fire on, for instance. great forum....
Peter
Old 12-18-2015, 07:32 AM   #10
Site Team

Yes. Mine has a built in timer that takes some patience and time on the remote to set by instructions in manual. I think you got it now.

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 09:33 AM   #11

So if I'm understanding correctly you have to set the temp and then set the timer? I have a 2015 but haven't used the fireplace that much.
Old 12-18-2015, 10:30 AM   #12

i don't think the order matters but the buttons on the fire in sequence from left to right
repeat press the time button 0-8 to set how long the fire will stay on, I think the zero turns the fire off as soon as the room temp is set.
Peter
Old 12-18-2015, 05:18 PM   #13

Some of you might have noticed that the fireplace in Rockwoods with 30 amp service shuts off when the microwave is turned on; evidently overload protection. Then there's a 30 second delay before the fireplace can be turned back on.

The fireplace in our Rockwood 8289 operated okay for the first few weeks, then the "flame" began going down rather than up. Somehow the polarity changed to the little motor that turns the shaft that creates the illusion of flame. Forest River promptly replaced the fireplace with a nicer model. We've used it for several hundred hours since then with no problems.
frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 06:07 PM   #14

Possable recall

Quote:
Originally Posted by the old geezer View Post
Hi, My unit is about a year old, and untill now not really used the electric fire.
it worked fine for a couple of days, then started to switch itself off after a short time. I can switch it back on after a short time, so maybe it is overheating and a thermal cut out is operating? any ideas? The fire does not have a brand name on it but it is has a flame effect with a remote control. I am in england and the dealer I bought from, probably doesnt have the knowledge to diagnose the problem. Any advise or pointers appreciated

peter
I have a 2010 cedar creek with a fireplace and during that time period there was a recall for overheating/ fires.
Now I do not know if that recall is still in affect ( I sure hope not) but just saying, and I read the recall and ay that time is was the fault of Dimplex the company that makes the fireplaces as the install info was wrong.
So I would have that checked as it seems from posts here that it sounds the same.
Good luck and Happy camping and Merry Christmas
silverback 35ts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 01:52 PM   #15

well I spoke to soon, still turning off after random lengths of time , usually within a hour or two max, so will pull it out and see if anything obvious,

Tags
electric, rockwood