Old 10-10-2013, 09:30 AM   #21
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyDan View Post
Telling a prospective customer that a 120v fridge is fine if you get an
extra battery is SO BAD!!
If someone camps exclusively in campgrounds, why is this bad?

Quote:
Some folks always have AC when camping. We like camping off the grid
or at least having that option.
In fact we're camping off the grid 2 days in a couple weeks. I'll watch
a little TV using my cigarette socket inverter and "dazzle" them with my
new 12v LED light strip and drink a cold one out of my LP gas
powered fridge.
Your opinion for camping is one version of camping. I RV, glamp, live/work remotely from RV parks (usually with 50amp or 30amp hookups). We all have different flavors of what works for us (and according to my "Who else doesn't camp?" thread- I'm not alone).

For someone like me, the camper is almost always plugged in except while traveling and loading/unloading it at the house (and even then, I'll run an extension cord during the day to it). Other threads have indicated that many people turn off their fridge entirely while traveling.

Old 10-10-2013, 10:31 AM   #22
Site Team

I hear what you are saying.
WE like the fact that our trailer is "self contained".
We are in fact camping at a campground in 2 weeks.
They are full on the electric side and first come on the "primitive" side.
Yeah we could get by with a couple coolers of ice but the fridge is just
so much easier.
Did the ice cooler thing for 15 years while tent/boat camping.
Now we like a real bed and a fridge.

You are correct that some folks don't need a LP fridge.

My point was a salesman who says 120v AC fridge is no problem just
get a bigger battery!!
Sheesh. That's right up there with "sure you can pull this trailer with a
1/2 ton truck- hey it says "light weight" right on the side there!!"
He was implying they can run the fridge off batteries. I say sure but not
for long!

We've spent time on a houseboat that had a compressor 12 cu ft fridge. We had to run a big noisy onboard generator every afternoon for
several hours to charge the huge semi size battery so the low voltage
alarm on the inverter wouldn't wake us up at 5 in the morning.
YMMV.

1999 Suzuki Intruder Motorcycle
Blue Ox WD hitch, AirLift load levelers

Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41,
2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 10:35 AM   #23

I'm still with the OP - that is crazy to only offer an AC fridge in a small TT. I don't see a gas fridge even listed as an option. Sure, there are plenty of people who only camp (rv?) with hookups and you can travel with it off and it will stay cold. But, if you have to buy extra batteries, that offsets the savings.

On our Coleman popup, the fridge was an option. Otherwise you got an icebox. Like the furnace and the AC, these options might come installed from the factory, but every unit was pre-wired and the things were modular, so the dealer could easily add the fridge or furnace if desired. What an idea!!

And for somebody like FR, they buy 2 and 3 way fridges by the thousands, so they pay a fraction of the aftermarket price for them. Trying to hit a price point on the trailer is understandable, but in not offering an option like that, you eliminate some percentage of potential customers. We dry camp alot - without a generator. The propane fridge is a requirement for us.

But, FR has about a thousand different brands, so I guess you could argue going this way on one or two brands to have a lower cost offering makes sense.

2017 F-250
2013 Rockwood Roo 23 IKSS
KMP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 10:44 AM   #24

Chest thumping aside, from my perspective if this was optioned to save costs on the part of the manufacturer I'd question where else they've cut corners. I do understand that on larger rigs there are many that come standard configured this way, but in that case they often will have a genny, or at least the size and room to carry one. Not the case with these low end units.

For me this is a non-starter for sure, but then again our rig is in storage and NEVER comes home, no room. While I do have a genny and do dry camp from time to time, I set my fridge to LP and forget about it.

1 Fantastic DW
1 Amazing DD
1 Beagle that will be missed (RIP Zeus)
another_newfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 10:49 AM   #25
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMP44 View Post
On our Coleman popup, the fridge was an option. Otherwise you got an icebox. Like the furnace and the AC, these options might come installed from the factory, but every unit was pre-wired and the things were modular, so the dealer could easily add the fridge or furnace if desired. What an idea!!
I do believe that was crux of the OP's original question before the thread derailed. On this camper, is it wired up (LP line to it) for installing a regular 2-way or 3-way RV fridge?
Old 10-10-2013, 10:50 AM   #26
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
My point was a salesman who says 120v AC fridge is no problem just
get a bigger battery!!
Sheesh. That's right up there with "sure you can pull this trailer with a
1/2 ton truck- hey it says "light weight" right on the side there!!"
True- it's the same generalization that I'm shaking my head at. For some people, it would be sufficient. For others, it wouldn't. But likely the salesman didn't ask those level of details (nor likely fully understand the usage behind each option).
Old 10-10-2013, 10:52 AM   #27
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMP44 View Post
I don't see a gas fridge even listed as an option.
I didn't look at it myself, but someone earlier in the thread indicated that the brochure said a "RV fridge" was an option.
Old 10-10-2013, 11:00 AM   #28

Interesting discussion. I always took it for granted that the small RVs came with a gas/elect fridge. I wonder if the electric only refrigerators are the two way AC/DC style or just 110v only? While the large 5th wheel RVs with a residential style fridge come with an inverter, I see no mention of an inverter on the Wildwood website. If it were me, I’d opt for the gas/elect fridge option mentioned in the Wildwood brochure. I would hope that the electric only fridge in the Wildwood is the AC/DC style. BTW, Wildwood does offer the gas/elect as an option.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 11:12 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by woozy View Post
I'm shying away from buying a 6000lb TT and looking at lighter FR trailers. The smaller ones I've seen so far have crappy ELECTRIC refrigerators!!

The salesperson I talked to was clueless. Is there a gas hookup behind the fridges on FR Lites and X Lites?
BTW, I would walk away from a dealer that has salesmen that are clueless. While I donít expect a salesman to know everything about every RV the dealership offers, I would expect him to find the correct answer for me. In this case the salesman should have gotten the manual that comes with the fridge to see exactly what type of refrigerator was in the unit. Thatís pretty easy and pretty simple.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 11:48 AM   #30

I understand the electric only refrigerators are more efficient and cheaper but I would not be happy if that were my only choice. I do not dry camp but a also don't have the luxury of turning my fridge on 24 hours in advance (usually). I have to run on gas or at least 12v when I am on the road.

Tags
electric, fridge