Old 10-10-2013, 10:58 AM   #31
Originally Posted by BarryD0706 View Post
Uh, excuse me sir, but your conclusion is incorrect.

Yes, a battery stores energy (how much is determined by the size). Multiple batteries store more energy.

An inverter does not "turn the power upside down". I agree that there can be less line loss at 120v than at 12v, but that's not the goal. The goal is to power a device that was designed for 120v.

I absolutely guarantee that you can run your AC by improving your batteries and inverter to the necessary level. A residential fridge takes a lot lower "necessary level" and that upgrade is commonly done.
I have a cabin with a total solar electric system, and have for 10 years. I'm well aware how how independent power works.

Since a decent, small, system costs $20,000, and my batteries are enormous, please tell me how I can run my AC and fridge in an RV by "improving my batteries and inverter". Where do I get these items, and how much do they cost? How much do they weigh? What is their power source?

in·vert(n-vūrt)·vert·ed, in·vert·ing, in·verts To turn inside out or upside down: invert an hourglass.

woozy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 11:07 AM   #32

Inverter (noun):

a device that changes direct current into alternating current and is commonly used on boats to operate devices such as radios from batteries

tanddc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 11:11 AM   #33
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
I do believe that was crux of the OP's original question before the thread derailed. On this camper, is it wired up (LP line to it) for installing a regular 2-way or 3-way RV fridge?

Still don't know.

Prices are good right now, I'd just buy a fridge.
woozy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 11:27 AM   #34
Originally Posted by woozy View Post
Exactly. Still don't know. Prices are good right now, I'd just buy a fridge.
It might be worthwhile looking to order unless you want something sooner than 8-10 weeks. I found I wasn't penalized when it came time to negotiate for ordering. I still got excellent pricing and was able to have 4 dealers each quoting exactly apples to apples on units.
2013 Sabre 36QBOK pulled by a 2012 Ram 3500 DRW
Blogs: Learn to RV & Personal Fulltiming Adventure
Towing Calculators: Towing Planner
ependydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 12:13 PM   #35
I believe that us RV users can design a better trailer than the engineers who have never tried climbing over another person in a separate bed so they can get to the toilet or get to the door. Or they never had to put items in the fridge in the driveway only to discover "I gotta put the slide out to open the fridge.?" Or who the hell mounted the door this way so it wouldn't open all the way because it hits this or that? Especially when, if the hinges were on the opposite side it has no issues or interference with anything while opening? Do you think any of them actually tried to make a bed in a travel trailer? It's common sense stuff for common sense folk like you and me....but engineers? No sense of humor and no sense of common sense!
David 01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 12:26 PM   #36
We engineers might disagree with you. There are always trade-offs.
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 03:13 PM   #37
On my boat I have a small ~4c.f. (90 beers and 2 quarts of ice cream, freezer is too short for a half gallon) undercounter fridge. The undercounter types have the coils below with a fan so there is marginally a greater draw. When running with the door open, light on, it pulls about 90 watts. Given the power losses with an inverter this is about 100 watts from the battery. The on time is about 1/3 so figure 800 watts in 24 hours. Since it is a boat there are 4 deep cycle batteries and the inverter drops out around 11.5VDC so you can restart the engines. Usually we are not on the hook for 24 hours and if we are we will run the genny for A/C or cooking long enough to recharge the batteries.
Timtation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 04:19 PM   #38
Not to derail this ship but a quick look found other campers in the OPs area with combo fridges. This model does not have it and some users may not mind that. Heck there are plenty of generators out there that can meet the needs of a dorm fridge for dry camping. Seems like this is a compromise to consider is all and it was a good litmus test of the dealer, who failed. Good luck Woozy!
2011 PrimeTime Tracer 2600rls
2001 GMC Yukon XL 2500, 6.0L 4.10:1 axle ratio
Nights camping 2014 - 17
2013 - 15
Arefbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 10:02 PM   #39
Originally Posted by BarryD0706 View Post
If you bought this expecting to boondock much, you made a mistake. It will be great if you plan to be at campgrounds with power outlets most of the time.
It will run the battery dead in about two hours of driving. On the way to the camp site. When we went to Destin Fl it was a big pain. But was a mistake

2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel
2013 Salem Cruise light 19bh
Hensley Cub hitch ,
jlgail4309 is offline   Reply With Quote

electric, fridge