Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-12-2014, 08:16 AM   #1

Electric hot water heater on sun seeker 3050

We have a sunseeker 3050 with a hot water heater for electric as well as propane. My question is, if I leave it on electric all the time with shore power will it wear out sooner then if I use propane to heat up at time of use ? I'd appreciate any help, thank-you ! Love our 3050 !

Sent from my HP Slate7 Extreme using Forest River Forums mobile app
Sunnyfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 08:18 AM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Element is the only thing to "wear" out.
There less then $20.00
Use it on electric and don't worry about.

TURBS

"Sabre owners united"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 08:28 AM   #3

Thank-you Turbs !

Old 06-12-2014, 08:32 AM   #4
Site Team

I've got a buddy that will jump on me any time I -ever- say
"hot water heater".
He says why do you need to heat hot water??
It's a "water heater".

Welcome to FRF!
Happy Camping!!
2016 Evergreen Everlite 242RBS
29' empty nest model. Blue Ox WD hitch
(1 queen bed, large main cabin and huge bathroom)
Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49, 2022-43, 2023-66
KyDan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 08:32 AM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
Element is the only thing to "wear" out.
There less then $20.00
Use it on electric and don't worry about.

TURBS

"Sabre owners united"
What he said.

One thing you may encounter on electric, is if you have a 30 amp RV. The electric element, when heating will consume 12 amps. You may trip breakers if you try to use other appliances (electrical items) or a combination thereof that will use over the available 18 amps you have left...... if they are on at the same time the element is heating. You may have to turn OFF the electric element if you trip breakers when using the A/C, microwave, hair dryer, electric frying pan, space heater, etc.

As long as the electric element is OFF, or not coming on due to the water already being hot.....then you don't have to worry about the 12 amps it consumes.

What's fun, is to be in the shower, with the A/C running and the element come on to heat the water and throw a breaker. I can't speak for others, but my RV warms up real quick in the summer with no A/C. My other problem is nobody else in the camper was trained on how to turn off the electric heating element or how to reset breakers. You can figure out the rest of the story, as my version has a lot of curse words.

These are the kind of lessons you learn from the first time...... similar to flushing your toilet with the bath vent fan going. That one can spoil your appetite.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 08:38 AM   #6
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyDan View Post
"hot water heater".
It's a "water heater".
Agree 100%

Another one:Saying cement instead of concrete.
Old 06-12-2014, 08:45 AM   #7

Good point on saying " hot water heater " ha ha ! Hey I'm a woman asking for my husband, what do you expect , at least I have an excuse ! Haha

Old 06-12-2014, 08:50 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
What he said.

One thing you may encounter on electric, is if you have a 30 amp RV. The electric element, when heating will consume 12 amps. You may trip breakers if you try to use other appliances (electrical items) or a combination thereof that will use over the available 18 amps you have left...... if they are on at the same time the element is heating. You may have to turn OFF the electric element if you trip breakers when using the A/C, microwave, hair dryer, electric frying pan, space heater, etc.

As long as the electric element is OFF, or not coming on due to the water already being hot.....then you don't have to worry about the 12 amps it consumes.

What's fun, is to be in the shower, with the A/C running and the element come on to heat the water and throw a breaker. I can't speak for others, but my RV warms up real quick in the summer with no A/C. My other problem is nobody else in the camper was trained on how to turn off the electric heating element or how to reset breakers. You can figure out the rest of the story, as my version has a lot of curse words.

These are the kind of lessons you learn from the first time...... similar to flushing your toilet with the bath vent fan going. That one can spoil your appetite.
I will remember that, I'm sure you do ! Thanks

Old 06-12-2014, 09:10 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyDan View Post
"hot water heater".
It's a "water heater".

Welcome to FRF!
Happy Camping!!
Technically it could be called a "hot water heater"... The heater is usually set to maintain a certain temp and will call for gas or electric when that temp falls below. If it's set to 140deg and calls for heat when it drops to 120deg then it's still technicall "hot".

There's your argument for your buddy!

unless, of course, if you have a tankless water heater... Then its just a water heater

TV = 2016 F-150 5.0L SCREW
Pit Crew: DW (Robin)
Kids: 9yo DD (Riley), 5yo DD (Kennedy)
Security: Boxer (Harley), yorkie (Willow)
BlakeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 09:13 AM   #10
Site Team

Forgot to add one more friendly reminder. If you are going to use the electric heating element side, you must ALWAYS make sure the water heater is full of water or you will burn up the element.

If you turn on the electric element (or forget it is on), and there is no water in the heater.....then you will toast it.

You need to do something to remind yourself the electric switch is on, especially if you have the Suburban brand water heater, that the element is turned on with the black switch on the front of the heater itself. Many a camper forgets about the element being on, and may drain the heater. As soon as they hook up to shore power again (or are already connected)......pop goes the element.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 09:14 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeB View Post
Technically it could be called a "hot water heater"... The heater is usually set to maintain a certain temp and will call for gas or electric when that temp falls below. If it's set to 140deg and calls for heat when it drops to 120deg then it's still technicall "hot".

There's your argument for your buddy!

unless, of course, if you have a tankless water heater... Then its just a water heater
Another good take on it, thanks !

Old 06-12-2014, 11:30 AM   #12

Quote:
Forgot to add one more friendly reminder. If you are going to use the electric heating element side, you must ALWAYS make sure the water heater is full of water or you will burn up the element.

If you turn on the electric element (or forget it is on), and there is no water in the heater.....then you will toast it.

You need to do something to remind yourself the electric switch is on, especially if you have the Suburban brand water heater, that the element is turned on with the black switch on the front of the heater itself. Many a camper forgets about the element being on, and may drain the heater. As soon as they hook up to shore power again (or are already connected)......pop goes the element.
Good idea, thanks a lot !

Old 06-12-2014, 11:36 AM   #13
Mod free 5er

Quote:
...Many a camper forgets about the element being on, and may drain the heater. As soon as they hook up to shore power again (or are already connected)......pop goes the element.
How well I know and found out.

Tags
305, electric, heater, hot water, water, water heater