Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-08-2013, 09:07 AM   #1
rke

Electrical converter panel fan

I have a brand new Rockwood Mini 2306 and when I turn on more than 4 or 5 lights in the trailer, the converter fan comes on and it is so load I can hear it on the other side of the trailer. I had the converter changed already once for the same issue 2 months ago. Is this normal? Is the factory converter too small for the trailer?
rke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 09:24 AM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rke View Post
I have a brand new Rockwood Mini 2306 and when I turn on more than 4 or 5 lights in the trailer, the converter fan comes on and it is so load I can hear it on the other side of the trailer. I had the converter changed already once for the same issue 2 months ago. Is this normal? Is the factory converter too small for the trailer?
Sounds like the fan is the issue to me as you shouldn't hear it hardly at all but you should be able to hear it under load.

If I had to guess your converter center is a wfco 8955 which is plenty for most tt's and 5th wheels.

The wfco converters have had fan issues in past. The fan stops working then the converter overheats and eventually dies as well.

With a lot of lights on the fan should run and if its quiet you should be able to hear it as the more usage the faster the fan will go.

Just a thought but what is the condition of your battery?

Turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 09:43 AM   #3
Site Team

most likely cause on a new trailer, is a low or bad battery.

did you keep it plugged in, to keep the battery charged up?
RV's have parasitic power drains that will drain a battery in days, so a battery disconnect switch is needed or you have to keep the battery recharged somehow. either with shore power or a separate trickle charger.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 11:14 AM   #4
rke

It occured while camping two weeks ago. I was plugged into 30Amps at the campground. The battery is brand new and I do use a battery disconnect when the trailer in stored. The fan seems to squeak more than a hum from spining.
Old 04-08-2013, 12:08 PM   #5
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rke View Post
It occured while camping two weeks ago. I was plugged into 30Amps at the campground. The battery is brand new and I do use a battery disconnect when the trailer in stored. The fan seems to squeak more than a hum from spining.
Sounds fimiliar.

Two things .

Have them replace it under warranty if that still applies.
If it does then insist they replace it with a progressive dynamics brand "costs a little more" and you'll have many years of trouble free service.

If warranty is out then you have two options.

Remove converter and order a replacement "ball bearing" fan or

Replace the converter with a pd.

Turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 12:19 PM   #6
Site Team

The fans on those units are pretty loud. It's not a big job to change it for a much quieter fan.
Old 04-09-2013, 09:27 AM   #7
rke

Thank you!

Thanks for the information. the trailer is under warranty and the dealer seems to be good. I will take it in and see if they can replace it with the progressive dynamics fan.

RKE