Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-05-2015, 10:41 AM   #1

Electrical Outlet for Microwave/Convection Oven

The electrical outlet where the microwave convection oven plugs in is dead. This morning when I got up the clock on the microwave was not working. I discovered that the microwave was not working at all. I checked the breakers and found that the breaker for the microwave was not tripped but the breaker for the converter was tripped. I reset the breaker. I checked the electrical outlet and discovered there was no power to the microwave. All other outlets appear to be working just fine. Is there anything else I can check or do? Please help.
Bbbarker194 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 10:51 AM   #2
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbbarker194 View Post
The electrical outlet where the microwave convection oven plugs in is dead. This morning when I got up the clock on the microwave was not working. I discovered that the microwave was not working at all. I checked the breakers and found that the breaker for the microwave was not tripped but the breaker for the converter was tripped. I reset the breaker. I checked the electrical outlet and discovered there was no power to the microwave. All other outlets appear to be working just fine. Is there anything else I can check or do? Please help.
Check and reset all your GFI outlets.
Old 04-05-2015, 11:04 AM   #3

GFI outlets tested and reset - no problem there. My RV is a 2014 Cedar Creek 32RL if that matters.
Old 04-05-2015, 11:08 AM   #4
Mod free 5er

Breakers all reset? If you don't have an inverter(youroo) unplug from shore power and start pulling outlets and remove the push in connections and use the screw connections only.
Old 04-05-2015, 11:11 AM   #5

Old Coot - breakers all reset. I don't know if I have an inverter or not - does the 2014 Cedar Creek come with an inverter? I have not added one. I am not sure what you are telling me to do with the outlets and screw connections.
Old 04-05-2015, 11:18 AM   #6

Lots of (Big Units) now have (Residential Refers) these have (Inverters),some Dealers/Salespeople don't even know this!? Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 11:19 AM   #7
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbbarker194 View Post
Old Coot - breakers all reset. I don't know if I have an inverter or not - does the 2014 Cedar Creek come with an inverter? I have not added one. I am not sure what you are telling me to do with the outlets and screw connections.
FR uses push in connections on the outlets where the wires are stripped and just pushed into the outlet. There are screw connections where you wrap the stripped end around the screw and tightened. IF you are not comfortable or knowledgeable with them, call a friend that is.
Old 04-05-2015, 11:20 AM   #8

I do not have a residential refrigerator. Are you telling me there is nothing else I can check or do to fix the problem? Do I need to get an electrician?
Old 04-05-2015, 11:21 AM   #9
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
Lots of (Big Units) now have (Residential Refers) these have (Inverters),some Dealers/Salespeople don't even know this!? Youroo!!
So the safe way is to unplug the shore power AND disconnect the battery(ies) completely.
Old 04-05-2015, 11:28 AM   #10

The O/P now says that they don't have a Res.Refer. but LOTs of these Big Units Do.I will start another Post for Info! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 11:34 AM   #11
Paradise has arrived!

If you remove the outlet you'll see on the back of it that the wires are either attached to screws or they are inserted into small holes. (Goes without saying unplug from shore power first!) Your plug wires may have come loose or may need to be reinstalled. If they are inserted in the holes remove them one at a time and reinsert them or attach them to the screws. (There should be an opening next to where the wire is inserted. It probably looks like a slotted screwdriver. You'll need to insert a small screwdriver into the slot and push on it in order for the wire to be easily removed from the hole.) Reinstall the plug and turn on the shore power. If you don't have a voltage tester plug something in that doesn't much matter to you just in case there is a surge. Don't use the microwave as a tester. If that all fails you may also have a defective outlet. Try replacing it with a similar outlet. You could also have a faulty breaker. Make sure you switch it completely off and then back on again. Beyond all of this I'd take it to the shop. If all other outlets are working (they should be since the microwave is (or should be) on a dedicated circuit. Good luck.
Old 04-06-2015, 09:52 AM   #12
Recently new!

Send a message via AIM to Paulie1138
Outlet died

Guys, just a fast comment to the original poster, try to plug something else into the outlet that you know works. Maybe the microwave has died and gone onto the great beyond!-and the outlet is still good.
Loving wife, R.I.P., 6/6/19
and Mason the always dirty dog! R.I.P, 2/19
Paulie1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 12:29 PM   #13

Best bet is use a tester to check the outlet. If no power disconnct the shore power, pull the outlet, re-power and carefully check the wire with a tester. That will eliminate the microwave, outlet and connection. After that you will need to move upstream from there.
Old 04-06-2015, 03:55 PM   #14

I used a tester to test the outlet - no power. After unhooking from the power post, I unscrewed the outlet and discovered that one very thick yellow coated wire runs into the sealed outlet.
Old 04-07-2015, 08:27 AM   #15
campr-pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
Mine has the 23cubic ft refer and it has an inverter for refer only does not run microwave. 2015 4100cy king
campr-pete is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, electrical