Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-19-2018, 08:40 AM   #1

Electrical problems

After plugging in surge protector and then cord a power strip started melting and smoking on a gfi circuit. Pulled the power strip off outlet. More smoke started behind microwave on its own circuit. Pulled it's cord. Questions, why didn't the breakers blow? Looks like my surge protector is bad. Coffee pot and microwave was not on, but they fried. Any ideas?
Busboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 08:43 AM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busboy1 View Post
After plugging in surge protector and then cord a power strip started melting and smoking on a gfi circuit. Pulled the power strip off outlet. More smoke started behind microwave on its own circuit. Pulled it's cord. Questions, why didn't the breakers blow? Looks like my surge protector is bad. Coffee pot and microwave was not on, but they fried. Any ideas?
I assume by "cord" (in red above), you mean shore power cord?

What are plugged into with this shore power cord? Where are you at?

It sounds like you may be possibly connected to a 240 volt outlet with your shore power cord, or possibly a miswired outlet.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 08:46 AM   #3

Yes shore power cord.
Old 05-19-2018, 08:47 AM   #4
Site Team

Need a little more information.

What were you plugging "cord" into? Are you sure it is wired correctly?

What surge protector? If it is a surge protector only, it will not protect against over current.

If the current on the leg of the circuit that had the melting power strip on it did not exceed the breaker rating it would not trip. It could still melt the powerstrip.

I would not plug anything else in until you verify the voltage and correct wiring at the outlet you are plugging your RV power" cord" into.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 08:51 AM   #5
Site Team

As Flybob and I are trying to ascertain, WHAT/WHERE are you plugged into with your shore power cord?

Is you shore power cord the 30 amp type or 50 amp type. Are you using any kind of adapters to connect your shore power cord to an outlet.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
Old 05-19-2018, 09:01 AM   #6

To clarify, the power was off at the outside park pedestal. I first plugged my shur guard 50 amp surge protector in, then my 50 amp shore power cord into the surge protector. I then turned on the breaker to supply power to the motorhome.
Old 05-19-2018, 09:14 AM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
To clarify, the power was off at the outside park pedestal. I first plugged my shur guard 50 amp surge protector in, then my 50 amp shore power cord into the surge protector. I then turned on the breaker to supply power to the motorhome.
OK, so you have a 50 amp RV, and are plugged into a parks 50 amp pedestal.

You could be having a problem with the park pedestal, and may need them to check it out. I would not plug back into it at this point without making sure there isn't a problem there, FIRST,

Here is a link to just one possible problem, that outlet could be having:

RV Electric

then click on the 'open neutral' link on the left hand side.

Old 05-19-2018, 09:14 AM   #8

Interesting about the power strip might not have blown the gfi outlet. Hope this is not confusing but after we unplugged the multi power strip from the gfi outlet. I thought the microwave was alright because the numbers were lit up. I did unplug the microwave from its own outlet just to be safe. Later, the maintenance man from the park checked the circuit on both the outlets, but when he plugged in the microwave it flashed when he plugged it in and nothing except the under Cabinet light on the microwave works. The maintenance man also replaced his plug and breaker at the pedestal outside and told me my shur guard surge protector said no power on the surge protector.
Old 05-19-2018, 09:22 AM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
The maintenance man also replaced his plug and breaker at the pedestal outside and told me my shur guard surge protector said no power on the surge protector.
It sounds to me like he found a problem at this outlet, if he replaced things...but your RV is likely damaged from it...if that was the case.

All of these things are real pertinent to us helping you diagnose the problem, and we need all the details of EVERYTHING.

Did you read my link in post #7 about a possible open neutral at the outlet?

Old 05-19-2018, 09:32 AM   #10

Sure sounds like a miss wired park 50 amp RV outlet at the pedestal from what you are describing happen. Probably one of the hot leg was miss wired with the neutral at the pedestal.
Yamaha 3000iseb generator:Progressive Ind. EMS-HW30C : Eastern Ontario
Nights Camped: 2014 (18) 2015 (18) 2016 (36) 2017 (32) 2018 (42) 2019 (28) 2020 (35)
fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 09:45 AM   #11

The strange thing is that we waited for fifth wheel to move that was on our site for a week before we plugged in. Probably only fifteen minutes. My bad is that I did not look at my surge protector before I turned power on to see if there was a problem at the pedestal. My got feeling is that my surge protector wasn't working right at that time and we had some type of power problem because of the surge protector. Can the surge protector pass thru power even when the surge protector says no power on it?
Old 05-19-2018, 10:30 AM   #12

People, if any of you have noticed (learned) anything about this "industry", is that is lacking any form of professionalism - throughout, that includes the product suppliers and anyone else that has anything to do with it. Before I would ever connect anything to a pedestal, I would MANUALLY CHECK IT with a meter. Do not trust anything or anyone to do it correctly unless you are _____. A meter can be had as a freeby or $6 at Harbor freight. Learn how to check the pedestal. It will take 10-30 seconds, even in the rain!

If you desire, you can view meter basics on my website for free ZRD FAQ - Safe Multimeter Usage: ELECTRICAL SAFETY
270S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 10:44 AM   #13
Site Team

OK now I am really confused.

in OP you said "More smoke started behind microwave on its own circuit. Pulled it's cord."
Later you said "I thought the microwave was alright because the numbers were lit up. I did unplug the microwave from its own outlet just to be safe"
You then state that nothing is working except the under counter light. The lights are 12VDC and they and the water pump should still work if you have a charged battery.

Also if you surge protector said no power, you should have not had smoke.

I would start by checking the power at the pedestal with a meter.
Then connect only surge protector and verify it is working / seeing power.
Then shut of all AC breakers in distribution panel.

Turn them on one at a time and verify the associated items TV,Microwave, Furnace outlets work.

Then turn on the converter and make sure it is charging battery

If you had damage, contact the park manager and report it. The outlets in campground pedestals take a beating and are often the source of the problem in 120VAC issues.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 10:49 AM   #14

Correction. The light inside the mirowave worked but the panel on the microwave didn't.
Old 05-19-2018, 11:30 AM   #15

1ST a surge protector will not protect you from a missed wired shore supply. A surge protector MAY protect you from a sudden high increase in voltage from the power source and that is all. You need an EMS to protect you from a miswired shore supply. It will read the system and determine if all wiring is correct in front of it. While in use it will also protect you from high and low voltage on the system. It will shut off the power if it not within the set voltage. 108 to 132 I believe.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 11:42 AM   #16

Does your shore power hook to your trailer with a twist lock cord? if so is the connector tight, Locked in with a turn the right? is the locking ring in place?
Old 05-19-2018, 12:36 PM   #17

No it doesn't twist lock
Old 05-19-2018, 03:03 PM   #18

Quote:
No it doesn't twist lock
Can you take a picture of the trailer end of your cord?
Old 05-19-2018, 03:31 PM   #19

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270S View Post
... if any of you have noticed (learned) anything about this "industry", is that is lacking any form of professionalism - throughout, that includes the product suppliers and anyone else that has anything to do with it. Before I would ever connect anything to a pedestal, I would MANUALLY CHECK IT with a meter. [COLOR=black]Do not trust anything or anyone to do it correctly unless you are _____....[/URL]
just to be a 'light' in light of your comments above, It actually seems as if there are a great number of 'professionally' manufactured RV products, most are UL approved, and many, many great caring professionals in the industry, as well as very competent and helpful owners, most on this forum here. We are experienced. We are here to help.

There's no perfect product, manufacturer, or person in the world. None. No excuses if you are aggravated and annoyed because something has gone 'wrong' or doesn't seem to work right, but many times, once the story has played out, the first reaction is not the true tale of the whole story. But most folks don't necessarily come back and set the story straight. The damage now has been done. The industry takes a 'beating' again, and yet it was really 'owner error', or something similar.

I feel for the situation, I'm just not on the side of immediately assuming that it's the 'industry's' fault, somehow. Sorry. : /
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, electrical