Old 11-19-2019, 06:14 PM   #1

EMS/surge protector opinion

Hey fellow RV owners, I just purchased a new 2020 Freedom Express 192RBS. I have not had an opportunity to take it out before hunting season and bad Michigan weather. So, I'm looking online to buy some necessary equipment so this spring I'll hopefully will be all set for our first outing. Anyways, I've been researching surge protectors and found that a portable EMS unit is better for protecting my investment. I'm just wondering what you guys use. A couple of units have caught my eye. The Surge Guard model #34930 and the Progressive Industries model #PT30X. Prices are somewhat comparable.

Snickers.1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 06:46 PM   #2
Trailer Park Supervisor

I bought the Progressive model you cited a year and a half ago for 253.52 + tax on Amazon. I see it is cheaper now. It has worked very well for me so far. I like the digital readout. I also use it when plugged in at home. Figured I paid so much for it, may as well use it everywhere it is plugged in. I especially find the current draw readout helpful.

Old 11-20-2019, 05:05 AM   #3

Thanks for the reply. I have read that Progressive had been bought out and now the product is being produced in Mexico. I'm concerned that the quality and customer support may not be what it was. Plus, when you read reviews, good or bad, you really never know how truthful they are. I'm leaning toward the Progressive model, but I do like the fact that the Southwire model has a 10 second countdown before it's ready for TT plug in.
Old 11-20-2019, 06:15 AM   #4
Trailer Park Supervisor

The Progressive has about a 3 minute delay before power is let through, when first plugging in, and if there is a power outage, so your A/C won't be damaged. Mine has a life time guarantee I believe.
Old 11-20-2019, 06:37 AM   #5

This is the one I have . So far no problems.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Mike
2015 Sierra SLE 5.3 V8 4x4
Mike223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 06:38 AM   #6
Trailer Park Supervisor

I just read the warranties for both products. Two interesting differences. Southwire covers damage to connected equipment, with a whole lot of exceptions, making it easy for them to wiggle out of it. Progressive does not cover connected equipment at all in the warranty. Southwire has this in the warranty: Surge Guard surge protectors are designed to sacrifice themselves in order to save equipment connected to it. If your surge protector is not allowing current to pass and/or the protection working LED indicator is off, then your surge protector has performed its duty, protecting your equipment, and the Limited Lifetime Warranty is void. You will need to purchase a new unit to replace the expired unit.

Progressive does not have this major wiggle out of the lifetime warranty provision. I have heard that Progressive will give you a new unit if your unit 'sacrifices' itself protecting your equipment.
Old 11-20-2019, 06:41 AM   #7
Trailer Park Supervisor

Mike, that model will protect from a surge, but does not protect from brown outs, power interruptions, and the like. The upper end 'EMS' monitors voltage and will shut down if the unit is not getting 'good' voltage, which is probably the most likely scenario in a crowded RV park in the summer.
Old 11-20-2019, 08:06 AM   #8

We own the Progressive 50 amp.

Works well.

In the two seasons of rv life, 15 weeks, we have seen three power failures. Several loose damaged plugs and crazy persons working on their electric systems. Lots of shabby rv park equipment.

Some debate the ems necessity.

I am not sure how necessary they are.

However, we feel the risk benefit ratio favors having one. Interesting to monitor the amps used. We love state parks with only. 30 amp service.
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 03:01 PM   #9
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
The Progressive has about a 3 minute delay before power is let through, when first plugging in, and if there is a power outage, so your A/C won't be damaged. Mine has a life time guarantee I believe.
Is that delay adjustable on the portable unit? It is on the hard-wired unit. The directions say to set it to the longer delay if your air conditioners do not have the delay built in, which mine do. The hard-wired unit is factory set to the shorter delay, I think 45 seconds.

Ray
Old 11-20-2019, 03:11 PM   #10
Trailer Park Supervisor

Nothing adjustable on mine. Just does the delay. No inconvenience at all.
Old 11-20-2019, 03:20 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
I get a chuckle from life time guaranties on items like this. Your RV may get destroyed if our protector ever fails but we will replace the protector free.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 03:28 PM   #12
Trailer Park Supervisor

Lol, hopefully it's the device and not the trailer that gets fried!
Old 11-20-2019, 03:50 PM   #13

At the FR International Rally last summer, Mike Sokol, something of an RV electrics expert, talked about EMS units. He made two points:
1. You want a full EMS not just a surge protector. Though putting a simple surge protector in front of your EMS is doable if you want to save the surge capabilities of your EMS...
2. He recommends Southwire units at this time. In the past, prior to the company being sold, Progressive had the best units on the market. Post sale, they have skimped on R&D and Southwire has or is adding new features which makes their unit the new leader. Somehow they have figured out how to add protection for problems caused downstream of the EMS. How they did it is a trade secret and under patent. Mike met with the Southwire engineers to discuss it and was impressed with what they had come up with.

With that said, he said both companies produce a good unit. I currently use a hardwired Progressive that I bought several years ago, it has worked flawlessly.
Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2019 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 06:20 PM   #14

Thank you

After reading the replies, I feel that the Progressive unit EMS-PT30X is the way for me to go. Now, I need to look to see where to get the best price. Hoping to cash in on a black Friday deal.
Thanks, to everyone that took the time to help me out.