Old 07-15-2016, 09:41 PM   #81
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knoxford View Post
Lou,

Thanks for the referral to RVCOOL.com

I am ordering one today.

They have a choice of a brand new unit with new boiler stack for 655 or

a reconditioned unit no boiler stack (reuse mine) for 425.

Any idea about going with either?

Thanks,

Steve
Steve,

I have never had to do that particular repair. However, did they go into what to look out for by trying to reuse your boiler stack? $230 bucks could save you a lot of heartache if you need to replace yours when you finally get it apart. Just sayin'

In any case please photo document what you did and how you did it for us unfortunate types who may need to do this repair in the future.

Lou

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 10:52 AM   #82

Hi Lou,

You are right. Going with the $655 version. All new if I am going to do it ... hopefully once!

After I watched the video you posted another video started up. It was the RVCOOL guys and they made an excellent complete pull out, tear down, replace and reinstall video. To save 1000 plus bucks it is a no brainer.

Thanks again,

Steve

Old 07-16-2016, 10:52 AM   #83

Lou,

Shoot I meant to post the link to the video ...

Old 08-04-2016, 02:24 PM   #84

I did the RVCOOL Replacement for RM2652

Last Saturday I did the cooling unit replacement. I followed the video I posted along with the other video that Lou posted. With these two videos there is sufficient info to do this job.

I think one of the most important things to watch is how they use a 90 degree bent flat screw driver to release the fridge fins from the back wall. Real important.

In the video the cooling unit pried off pretty easy. I did it just like they did with a metal plate to protect the back of the fridge while prying the unit off. But, while doing so I bent a crowbar during the process. It took a good 5 to 10 minutes of pressure for everything to start releasing. The sound of tape and stuff slowly letting go was music to my ears. It came out perfectly.

When going back in with the new unit they show putting a 3/4 inch by 3/16 inch weather strip in the edge of the opening. This is good but beware it make a really tight fit (what you want) but I had to put two 2 by 12 by 12's inserted under the coils and get on and jump up and down till it was in all the way. I know sounds brutal.

Get a metal screw driver strip and keep track of all your screws in the order they come out.

I end up having to take the doors off cause of a narrow hall but that was ok as it made the unit much light and easy to work with.

The good new is this unit they make is AWESOME!!!! The fridge when new struggled to moderately maintain the freezer and the fridge.

The day here are running right at 100 degrees. And without the AC running in the trailer the unit is consistently maintaining 2 degrees in the freezer and 33 degrees in the fridge. The picture of the freezer shows 5 degrees. I was stunned to see 2 degrees and by the time I got my camera out it had already jumped to 5 degrees.

I bought the new unit at RVCOOL and it was 700. I am glad I did because the boiler stack on my old unit was full of leaked out ammonia and bomide and especially as Lou said and extra 200 or so for peace of mind.

Thanks for your help!

How in the world did they get upside down? I even rotated on my pc and saved and replaced them and they are still upside down.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160803_131033.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	163.7 KB
ID:	116294   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160801_131541.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	157.2 KB
ID:	116295  
Old 08-04-2016, 04:08 PM   #85
Site Team - Lou

So glad I was able to point you in the right direction. You ROCK.

HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Old 08-04-2016, 09:57 PM   #86

Thank you Sir!

One other thing. There are no instructions in the box. I installed on Saturday. But on Monday I received an email that RVCOOL is going paperless. The email had the instructions attached in a pdf.

All I said about jumping on the unit to make it seat in. Well they addressed that on page 5 ..... grrrrrrr. That was not covered in the video!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fitting the unit in.JPG
Views:	281
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	116338  
Old 08-05-2016, 08:30 AM   #87
Site Team - Lou

Please attach the PDF so folks can know what is involved changing out the cooling system.

HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW