Old 05-07-2011, 10:30 AM   #1

Ext. fridge cooling fans

My new camper is a Flagstaff 26rlss travel trailer with a Dometic 2652 refrigerator. The cooling fans on the rear outside of the fridge seem to run a lot even when itís not warm outside. They also short cycle. Is this normal?

Old 05-11-2011, 10:16 AM   #2

I'm not sure it's normal but I also experience this with on my new Dometic refrigerator. So maybe it is... I was actually going to post something about it after our last trip. It was a cool weather trip but the fan for the fridge would cycle on and off constantly. Didn't matter if I was on AC or propane. It was kind of annoying but I guess I got used to it. The fridge got cold and everything seemed normal. I was thinking of calling them and asking about it...

Old 05-11-2011, 10:23 AM   #3

If it helps I found this in my internet searching... This was a response to how to stop the fan from cycling on/off and if it's normal.... I'm wondering if it wouldn't cycle so much in hotter temperatures and maybe in cooler weather it does the annoying "short cycling". Sounds like my first mod might be wiring an inline switch to turn this "optional" fan off.

The DM2652 comes with an optional cooling fan to help with cooling the amonia. The fan cycles on and off as required as it has a tempeature sensor (thermistor). We turn ours off at night by removing the inline fuse (glass tube fuse 3 amp) located in your outside acces panel. The fuse is located in a black fuse holder with a re wire connecting both sides.
Old 05-11-2011, 11:06 AM   #4

Sorry, yet another post but thought others might find this useful...

Talking to a Dometic customer service rep... They said there is a fix for the cycling fan issue. She said a service center will need to relocate the temp sensor controlling the fan and this will stop the short cycling. I tried to ask if this is something easy I could do but she didn't know the details. I just got a service center in my area's phone number. I called them and they never heard of the issue. They said they would also need to call Dometic so they could find out how to fix the problem. He suggested I try to call back and see if I could get someone in tech support. I asked the rep if I need to have the fan for normal operation. She said yes but I don't know if that's true or not. If ventilation is properly designed the fan only helps from what I know and isn't required. Ideally I'd like to just move it myself (if it's easy) because dragging the camper into a service center for just this is more a pain in the butt.
Old 05-14-2011, 10:03 AM   #5

I just upgraded to a 345RET and discovered the new fan. From my understanding it's not from Dometic but installed by the RV manufacture in units where the fridge is in a slideout and the top vent is on the side not top due to the slideout. My problem is it drains the battery when you're not on the grid. I don't have power where I store my unit and when I start the fridge to cool down prior to a trip the batter drains in about 48 hours. I generally start it about 24 hours prior to a trip but it does put a damper on dry camping.

Most likely I'll look at putting a switch in line so I can turn it off and I'll see how well it cools.

Joe

Tags
fan