Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-18-2019, 09:06 PM   #1
Camp-N-Nut

Exterior refrigerator fan

My exterior refrigerator fan stopped working and my refrigerator temperature is 50 degrees. Any suggestions what to check?
Old 06-19-2019, 09:14 AM   #2

It's possible that the fan itself has died. I suspect that's what happened to ours this year as well. I tested by unhooking the wires from the sensor on the top fins and touching them together. The fan didn't start. This fan is the same as typical 120mm computer fans, so I ordered some cheap ones from Amazon, a 3-pack for something like $20. As the mounting bracket could take two (only one was installed), I put two in which was fairly simple as the fans I purchased could be easily daisy-chained. I just had to cut one plug and splice into the original power and ground cable. I tested the same was as above and they ran so I figure it's good now, though it hasn't been hot enough here to make them kick in.

I should add that my fridge still worked normally, but as I mentioned it hasn't been super-hot here in southern Saskatchewan yet. I only tested as this is a new-to-us trailer and I don't think our previous trailers had a fan.
Truck: 2006 Dodge 2500 TRX4 Cummins
Seasonal at Saskatchewan Landing Provincial Park
camaro80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 10:05 AM   #3
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Yes, check the fan has power by using a multimeter.
Most of the fans are controlled by a thermostatically controlled switch placed near the cooling fins so you need to check that too.

If you do not own a multimeter or know how to use it, contact a repair person.

Many of the fans used from the factory are inexpensive (read cheap) and do not last long.

Many of us have replaced them with good ball bearing (computer type) fans and added extra fans if necessary.

Temporarily, you can buy a small $5 fan at Dollar General, (or the like) remove the lower Refrigerator vent and aim the flow up across the back of the refrigerator.

You may be running the refrigerator on electric but if on gas, just be sure to not aim the fan's air flow towards the gas flame and possibly blow it out.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 10:55 AM   #4
Camp-N-Nut

Thanks for the reply’s. It was the thermostat that is attached to the fins. I just disconnected the thermostat and wired them direct with a 15 amp fuse and the fan runs all the time till I get back home from vacation to get another one.
Old 06-27-2019, 10:28 AM   #5

I'm having fan issues also. Except my fan won't stop running. I'm pretty sure it's my thermostat. But to your post there is a fuse (5amp glass) in the fan circuit. (Dometic 7-series). Just might be a blown fuse. In line fuse is found in the lower outside access. (mine is a red wire). Just a thought. Good luck.
garyp1953 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
exterior, fan, refrigerator