Old 08-17-2014, 12:42 AM   #1

Factory installed TV - no antenna reception

Hello,

I just bought a new 2015 coachmen chaparral 29bhs. It came with a factory installed 32" TV & Jensen stereo/DVD system. The TV has AV cables run into the wall & connect to the Jensen system that works great, but there is a coax cable hooked to the TV & it also runs into the wall presumably behind the Jensen system. There is also an antenna plate with booster button right next to the Jensen system as well. Does anybody know if the coax cable that runs behind the wall is already tied into the booster? I am not able to get any channels using the antenna and having the booster enabled. I tried moving the antenna to many different positions & others in the same campground are able to get channels. Again my coax cable is not running from the TV to the front of the antenna jack because it goes behind the wall & came from the factory that way. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Clint

Old 08-17-2014, 05:59 AM   #2

You may need to pull the booster plate and check the connections as some people have found the cables are hooked backwards.
Another possible is a bad connector.

Like the one above.

Have you looked top side to ensure the coax is tight on the antenna?

Does the cable side work?

And just to be sure, are you scanning with the tv set to antenna and not cable?

Old 08-17-2014, 10:38 AM   #3

I have not had a chance to test the cable as the campground we are currently in doesn't have it. I had the tv setting to "air" when I did my channel search.

I have pulled the booster plate off but how do I know if they are correct? There are 3 coax cables (1 gray, 1 white, 1 black) coming off the back of the booster plate. The black cable coming off the booster plate then connects to a splitter type device that has 3 black coax cables connected to it.
Old 08-18-2014, 06:42 AM   #4
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niccli View Post
I have not had a chance to test the cable as the campground we are currently in doesn't have it. I had the tv setting to "air" when I did my channel search.

I have pulled the booster plate off but how do I know if they are correct? There are 3 coax cables (1 gray, 1 white, 1 black) coming off the back of the booster plate. The black cable coming off the booster plate then connects to a splitter type device that has 3 black coax cables connected to it.
This wall plate is a switch and power supply for the roof antenna. The source it uses to distribute the incoming digital TV signal is selected with the little black button.

Button IN (light on) sends the power to the roof and directs the down signal to the splitters and the single coax on the front of the plate.

(IF you have TWO on the plate; ONE is the satellite receiver connections and NOT the TV signal). Make sure you got the correct one to plug into your TV.

If your TV signal (SET 2 below) goes to the splitter and then to the TV, make sure your splitter is working OK.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Winegard wall plate rear.JPG
Views:	850
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	60821  
Attached Images

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 08:42 AM   #5

Our Coachman Apex came from the factory with the cable tv and antenna leads reversed. Did'nt catch it on the PDI because the TV tower was close to Dealers and was overdriving the signal.
vp22er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 08:46 AM   #6

Same as VP22ER
PhoneDude 8289 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 08:59 AM   #7
Site Team

When trouble shooting the antenna on my previous trailer I went on the
roof and disconnected the wire from the antenna. I then ran a coax
wire directly from the antenna thru an open door and to the antenna
connection on the TV. Once I scanned and knew the TV was working I
started hooking things back together to see what worked and what
didn't work.

I discovered 2 places where the wiring dude at the factory had cut off
all the ground shield and shoved on a connector. Once I re-made those
ends correctly, my TV started working as it should have.
Reversed wires at the rear of the wall plate is a real possibility as
pointed out by others too.

Good luck with your search!
1999 Suzuki Intruder Motorcycle
Blue Ox WD hitch, AirLift load levelers

Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41,
2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63
KyDan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 09:53 AM   #8

Herk7769...
My wall plate only has one coax jack on it so it doesn't appear I have satellite receiver.

A few references to cables being switched around. Does anybody know how I can tell if they are switched just by looking at them? The 3 cables hooked to the back of the jack are all different colors.
Old 08-18-2014, 09:54 PM   #9

The reception in the living area tv of our Electra is intermittent, but the other two tv's work fine when the reception is out on the living area one. I removed the tv from its wall bracket and can see where there is a splitter between the walls inside a 3-4inch hole. Unfortunately, I can't access it to check connections. Anyone else able to get to theirs?
Old 08-18-2014, 10:57 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niccli View Post
Herk7769...
My wall plate only has one coax jack on it so it doesn't appear I have satellite receiver.

A few references to cables being switched around. Does anybody know how I can tell if they are switched just by looking at them? The 3 cables hooked to the back of the jack are all different colors.
Suggest you buy a length of coax long enough to go from the wall plate to the back of your TV AND a barrel connector that will allow you to join 2 cables to each other.

Attach one end of the coax to the TV coax input...and the other end to the coax set2 output from Herks diagram. Program tv for local channels and turn the booster light on before you do so. Still no joy??? Well now you know it isn't the jumper cable to the set that is at fault. Replace the original cable on the set 2 output but LEAVE the coax you bought attached to the TV.
Now remove the connector from the CABLE input and using your barrel connector ...hook the cables together while you are connected to a cable source outside the coach. Turn the booster switch off and program the TV for cable and see if that works. If not...the cable you think is for outside cable is probably your antenna cable which has been attached to the wrong terminal. Attach the OTHER remaining cable to your barrel connector and try to program the TV for cable. You should now see cable stations. If so...remove the cable from the barrel connector and and hook it up to the cable input shown on Herks switch.
Finally...we know the remaining cable is from the antenna..so hook it up to the correct input from Herks picture, turn the boost switch on and program the TV.

If none of this solves the problem...chances are you have a bad antenna connection from the roof which you may or may not want to tackle yourself.
Finally...if you don't have an available cable connection...you can instead start with removing the cable attached to the switch antenna input and connecting it to your purchased coax with the barrel connector...turn the booster on and program the TV for over the air. If no result...try the wire connected to cable input on the switch with the same procedure. One ot the other will give you over the air channels unless there is a problem with the antenna or cable from the antenna.

I prefer to connect to a cable signal to sort things out...since we KNOW that signal is good for diagnosis ...but if you are sure there are good over the air stations close by...then this last method will be quicker to diagnose the problem.
Hope that is understandable...good luck!

2014 Vespa LX150 2014 StellaAuto 125
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
antenna, factory, led, reception