Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-29-2016, 06:50 PM   #1

Fantastic fan necessary for bathroom?

Ordering a 371rebh tomorrow.

Just for moisture and 'smells,' the stock exhaust fan is adequate, correct?

There's no need for a fantastic fan in the bathroom, is there?

Thanks!

Parker
Pbenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 07:00 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pbenda View Post
Ordering a 371rebh tomorrow.

Just for moisture and 'smells,' the stock exhaust fan is adequate, correct?

There's no need for a fantastic fan in the bathroom, is there?

Thanks!

Parker
The typical base exhaust fan has always worked fine for me. I don't think a fantastic fan is necessary for the bathroom.

ilmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 07:05 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

It depends on your needs. They are quiet and move a lot of air efficiently. We open the vent in the bedroom in our 5er and then turn on the Fantastic Fan in the rear bathroom to pull cool evening air through the trailer. Especially nice if you are boondocking and can't run your AC.
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 07:22 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by acadianbob View Post
It depends on your needs. They are quiet and move a lot of air efficiently. We open the vent in the bedroom in our 5er and then turn on the Fantastic Fan in the rear bathroom to pull cool evening air through the trailer. Especially nice if you are boondocking and can't run your AC.
That is what they are really good for, use mine all the time for that exact reason.

2007 Surveyor SV230
- 200 Watts Solar/MPPT Controller - 220 AH Battery Bank (Two-GC2) - 600 watt PSW Inverter - (2) 2000 watt Inverter Generators - LED Lighting
2009 F150 - 5.4 Litre with Tow Package

Boon Docking 99% of the time.
boondocking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 07:49 PM   #5

Options are good. One doesn't have to use them but handy.

I recently upgraded our base model fantastic fan to the thermostat with reverse.

The basic is handy since the screen pops right out for easy cleaning. No need to go up top to clean out leaves and such.

They have several upgrades available if you already have the basic one installed.

One of the upgrades power opens and closes when it detects rain.

After upgrading I learned I can turn it on reverse with all windows shut and the bugs have a hard time getting in the door while we go in and out the door at night which normally fills the trailer with the pesky critters making for a wild chase with a cordless vac to clean them all out.
Simplewon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 08:47 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by boondocking View Post
That is what they are really good for, use mine all the time for that exact reason.
X2

Plus it is a lot quieter than the AC. Just make sure you shut it off before flushing.
tkarper14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 08:49 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simplewon View Post
Options are good. One doesn't have to use them but handy.

I recently upgraded our base model fantastic fan to the thermostat with reverse.

The basic is handy since the screen pops right out for easy cleaning. No need to go up top to clean out leaves and such.

They have several upgrades available if you already have the basic one installed.

One of the upgrades power opens and closes when it detects rain.

After upgrading I learned I can turn it on reverse with all windows shut and the bugs have a hard time getting in the door while we go in and out the door at night which normally fills the trailer with the pesky critters making for a wild chase with a cordless vac to clean them all out.
Great idea running in reverse for bug control. I gotta try that.
tkarper14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 01:07 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by boondocking View Post
x2......it would be a Must Have for me, they move a lot of air
danc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 01:08 PM   #9
Some guy in back...

If you are talking about the 6" diameter "fart fan", it's a noisy, sorry excuse for a mechanical ventilation device. Upgrade it. Simple decision, lifetime satisfaction...
'99 Ford E350 V10
'16 Rockwood 8329SS
ChateauV10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 01:13 PM   #10

Bathroom Fan

Both work, but the Fantastic takes the steam and smells away with a lot less noise.
DocRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 01:54 PM   #11

Get a Vortex II fan upgrade kit. 3-speed reversible fan at less than 1/2 the cost of a Fantastic fan. Takes less than 30 minutes to change it over from the cheap OEM vent fan. https://www.amazon.com/Roof-Vent-Vor.../dp/B00APSSPEA
Shop around on Ebay and you may find a cheaper price with free shipping. If you want just a single speed vent fan you can get a Vortex fan for less than $45.
Camped 2016-71, 2017-33, 2018-29 booked
KT4W
BooBoo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 04:45 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by danc View Post
x2......it would be a Must Have for me, they move a lot of air
Get rid of the wanna bee fan and stick with something that really works.

2014 Coachmen Brookstone 325RL
2015 Chev Silverado 2500 Diesel.
ottawapaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 05:17 PM   #13

We installed (2) Fantastic Fans.... one in the bed room and one in the bathroom of our FR3 30DS.
Both fans work great. The one in the bathroom gets turned on in reverse and you can feel the air being sucked out of the small restroom. It is impossible to get any smells from the restroom out into the coach, even on the lowest setting.
At night we turned on the bedroom fan in reverse and cracked a window and you get a great breeze for sleeping.
Another benefit is when if dry camping or if you want to suck in cool air and blow out hot air before the air conditioner really gets cranking is to close the window and blinds on the hot side of the camper and open on the shady side and it will suck all the hot air out of the unit and help the A/C pull the inside temps down...
Best investment we've made yet.
Days Camped 74
twojump36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 05:42 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkarper14 View Post
Great idea running in reverse for bug control. I gotta try that.
Couple of years back we had a bunch of Mosquitos follow us in the MH,,, I turned the FF on high,,, a few minutes later I had to clean several dead skeeters from the fan screen !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 05:54 AM   #15

Maybe a little off subject but,,, was checking bath fan cover the other day and found it to be cracked,,, it is 3 years old,,, and is the weakest smoked plastic cover I have ever seen !!! I have taped it for now,,, will be replacing ASAP,,, but hopefully not with a cover sold by Hengs,,, I will be replacing it with a metal cover if I can find one !!!
Old 07-01-2016, 07:34 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine 1945 View Post
Maybe a little off subject but,,, was checking bath fan cover the other day and found it to be cracked,,, it is 3 years old,,, and is the weakest smoked plastic cover I have ever seen !!! I have taped it for now,,, will be replacing ASAP,,, but hopefully not with a cover sold by Hengs,,, I will be replacing it with a metal cover if I can find one !!!
That cover in smoke tint is on amazon for 35 dollars.
Simplewon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 07:43 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simplewon View Post
That cover in smoke tint is on amazon for 35 dollars.
I would think for $35 I should be able to buy the hole fan ???
LOL !!!
The replacement cover should be like $18 to $20 for a good one !!!
Old 07-01-2016, 07:59 AM   #18

Upgrade to the fantastic fan just to get rid of the Hengs fan and save yourself the labor of doing it yourself later. I agree with the previous posters. The Hengs plastic covers are flimsy garbage. I just went thru a hail storm. I have one fantastic fan and 2 Hengs . Hengs vent covers cracked and full of holes. Not a mark on fantastic fan!. The Hengs stock fan uses a low grade plastic doomed to fail. Worse yet looking at them the covers are plastic welded to brackets ant don't look replaceable. Upgrade the fans now.
Old 07-01-2016, 08:17 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich.M View Post
Upgrade to the fantastic fan just to get rid of the Hengs fan and save yourself the labor of doing it yourself later. I agree with the previous posters. The Hengs plastic covers are flimsy garbage. I just went thru a hail storm. I have one fantastic fan and 2 Hengs . Hengs vent covers cracked and full of holes. Not a mark on fantastic fan!. The Hengs stock fan uses a low grade plastic doomed to fail. Worse yet looking at them the covers are plastic welded to brackets ant don't look replaceable. Upgrade the fans now.
10-4 on low grade plastic !!!
Any one that has one of these bath fans should at least replace the cover ASAP !!! If I were to add another FF I would add it to the Bedroom !!!
I will be looking @ our local RV dealer to see if they have a Metal cover,,, that is what I have used in the past,,, I see Amazon has a Hengs Metal cover for $18 !!!

Tags
fan, roo