Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-16-2015, 11:01 AM   #1

First time with satellite tv

So I switched over to Dish at home and bought the antenna and receiver for the rv so I could enjoy all the programs without worrying about the over the air antenna picking up or how much the cg subscribes to for their cable.
So, theoretically I take the coax from the Dish Tailgater and hook it into the satellite input outside the 5er. Then attach coax to one of the outputs behind the tv to the receiver and finally the hdmi cable from the receiver to the tv. Sounds good, only one problem...it didn't work. After talking with Dish customer service and still no reception we finally decided to put the coax cable from the Tailgater antenna through a window and direct to the receiver then hdmi to the tv. Bottom line that worked like a charm. Yes, I made sure the little button on the output behind the tv was not pushed in and I did try all the outputs with no luck. So any other satellite users have this problem? What was the solution? I guess I can do it this way but it's a much neater set up doing it the "right way" (sigh).
Old 05-16-2015, 11:25 AM   #2

Had the same issue on my TT. Service checked all the sat connections within the line from the sat hookup on the outside to the hookup inside the at the cable box and found connections were not crimped properly, go figure. they re-crimped all connection points and now it works great. No more running the cable through the window.

2008 Rockwood Sig Ultra Lite 8315SS
Livin the Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 12:46 PM   #3

Connect the tailgater to the park cable input port and try again (connect the tv end of the coax to the receiver). Chances are the sat tv input end of the coax is not connected to anything and just stowed somewhere. Just a shot.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 12:55 PM   #4

You may have to remove the wall outlet and check to see if the coax for satellite is actually screwed onto it. I will assume you have 2 coax outlets in the wall. One for OTA/Cable and another for satellite. If you have only one connector on the outside you will not get satellite to work. There has to be a separate connector of satellite. You say you hooked to the outside satellite connector so that suggestion is moot.
You can also purchase a "flat" coax jumper that is about 12" long and will allow you to close a door or window on it. They are available from Walmart, Amazon, Home Depot and other big box stores for less than $5.
Camped 2016-71, 2017-33, 2018-29 booked
KT4W
BooBoo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 02:29 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by clicker1944 View Post
So any other satellite users have this problem? What was the solution? I guess I can do it this way but it's a much neater set up doing it the "right way" (sigh).
Yes, I had the same problem. (I have a thread on here somewhere about it.)

After trying everything I could think of....and not ever being able to get the rooftop satellite coax to help me out.....I finally ran my own coax. It starts as a wall plate connection inside a storage compartment, runs under the coach (about 5 feet), enters the coach through a hole in the floor, runs through the passenger side pillar and behind the overhead cabinets where my receiver is.

When at the campground, I set up my antenna and run the coax from that to the wall plate connection. ...straight shot to the receiver, everything works, and everything is hidden.

I got pretty frustrated with the whole ordeal and decided to just run my own straight to the receiver.

Good luck with it.
Days Camped 2015: 40
Days Camped 2016: 03
Christian_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 03:00 PM   #6

If you are using the coax outlet for the OTA/Cable there is one other thing you might try. First of all, the splitter most commonly use for OTA/Cable will not pass the voltage necessary to power the antenna, thus you need to either have a separate coax outlet for satellite or you can pull the outlet loose from the wall and see if you can find the splitter and replace it with this one. You can find them at Home Depot for less than $5. My TT has separate ports on the outside so I didn't need to do this, but people that had only a cable port changed the splitter and said it worked fine.
cable splitter to use with satellite antenna - 5mhz-2.3ghz - Ideal band model #85-333
Camped 2016-71, 2017-33, 2018-29 booked
KT4W
BooBoo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 02:37 PM   #7

Send a message via Yahoo to carluv
Had the same problem, satellite cable didn't go anywhere. Once I found it and put a connector on it, it works great.
carluv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 04:34 PM   #8

Need a dedicated coax for the satellite most trailers have this separate from the CATV connection
Harkerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 04:38 PM   #9

I have two ports on the outside of my TT. The one on the right works for Satellite input to the Top Port on the inside panel next to the TV. You can purchase a coax shorting connector from Radio Shack and use this to verify continunity of your coax runs within your rig.
saltyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 06:36 PM   #10

My new trailer was supposed to be satellite prepped. Well it wasn't so a little rewiring and changing wall outlets and now it is. If you try to go through the amplifier on or off it won't work. Cable will but not satellite. There can be nothing between the antenna and the receiver. Splitters are Ok but nothing electronic. I just had to bypass the amp with a splitter and create a second straight through connection. Works great now.
2018 F250 Lariat (ok but I miss my F150)

Getting old ain't for wimps!!!
Stormrider151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 06:38 PM   #11

Saltyman is spot on with a continuity test. My first trailer had two outlets and they were mislabeled.
2018 F250 Lariat (ok but I miss my F150)

Getting old ain't for wimps!!!
Stormrider151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 01:07 AM   #12

I have used the satellite input with my tailgater many times. I had to get a new Vip 211K receiver. When I installed it I had problems and it could not download the program guide. A tech came out and the barrel was the old kind and too small for the new coax being used. He replaced them and still had the same problem. Went to the bedroom sat conn and found that it was also getting a signal from the dish which told the tech that there was a splitter in the system. Satellite systems are not supposed to work with splitters. I asked him why all of a sudden it was not working. He told me that sometimes the coax degrades over time.

I solved the problem by shade tree mechanic improvisation of a new connection for the tailgater. I drilled a hole through the side of the slide where the receiver is located, pushed the coax with a rubber grommet through to the outside where i installed a wall cover with a barrel connector that I cut down to properly fit under a metal outside weatherproof cover that usually goes on an outdoor electrical box that I got at Home Depot. It had a weatherproof gasket, but I caulked over it with silicone caulk. I did the same in the bedroom where I am going to put another receiver and 32 inch TV. I am going to install a switch for when we go to bed.

The picture is wonderful and the checking switch installation and acquiring signal is faster than ever as is downloading program guide. I have not tested out the switch for the bedroom yet.
Reb Kitt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
first time, satellite