Old 12-29-2012, 12:19 AM   #11

The gas side of the frig. I never had a problem with my stove/cook top. .

Old 12-29-2012, 01:49 AM   #12

Where exactly would I "blow" the lines out? Disconnect from the fridge? Or the regulator?

Old 12-29-2012, 08:25 AM   #13

I believe f1100turbo is on the right track, turn off all appliances that use gas, stove fridge and furnace, turn off the gas at the tanks and wait a couple of minutes, turn gas on slowly and then light the stove and check if it is working properly. If so fridge and furnace should also work.
Old 12-29-2012, 09:24 AM   #14
DDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by riversedge View Post
I believe f1100turbo is on the right track, turn off all appliances that use gas, stove fridge and furnace, turn off the gas at the tanks and wait a couple of minutes, turn gas on slowly and then light the stove and check if it is working properly. If so fridge and furnace should also work.
I agree sounds like icing, you get this a lot with propane lift trucks, just turn it off and let it sit for a bit then go slow when you turn it back on.
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 09:41 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

After reading back thru this thread, I think your problem is with 1 of the propane safety systems.

There is a safety device that requires back-pressure on the lines to allow gas to flow at full capacity. This operates separately from the OPD valve.

Here is how it works. When you 1st open the propane valve, it requires back-pressure on the line to allow the valve to open. If there is not back pressure on the line, then the valve will only open part way, allowing a limited amount of gas to flow......hence the reduced flame on the range burner.

The solution. Turn off all gas appliances. Open the propane valve slowly, so the OPD doesn't shut things down. Wait a while for pressure to build up in the system. Then 1st light a stove burner, and if the flame is full sized, next try the fridge on gas.....it should work at that point. If the stove burner is still reduced, shut down all of the appliances and try again, but wait longer before lighting the stove.

If that doesn't work, try the other cylinder using the same method.....it could be a problem with the cylinder. If that doesn't work, try switching cylinders side to side.....there could be a problem with the regulator on 1 side or the pig-tail on 1 side.....you will have things narrowed down at that point.

There used to be a really good website that explained the safety systems of propane cylinders, but that site no longer exists.....I will try to find another.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 10:05 AM   #16
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnguy View Post
After reading back thru this thread, I think your problem is with 1 of the propane safety systems.

There is a safety device that requires back-pressure on the lines to allow gas to flow at full capacity. This operates separately from the OPD valve.

Here is how it works. When you 1st open the propane valve, it requires back-pressure on the line to allow the valve to open. If there is not back pressure on the line, then the valve will only open part way, allowing a limited amount of gas to flow......hence the reduced flame on the range burner.

The solution. Turn off all gas appliances. Open the propane valve slowly, so the OPD doesn't shut things down. Wait a while for pressure to build up in the system. Then 1st light a stove burner, and if the flame is full sized, next try the fridge on gas.....it should work at that point. If the stove burner is still reduced, shut down all of the appliances and try again, but wait longer before lighting the stove.

If that doesn't work, try the other cylinder using the same method.....it could be a problem with the cylinder. If that doesn't work, try switching cylinders side to side.....there could be a problem with the regulator on 1 side or the pig-tail on 1 side.....you will have things narrowed down at that point.

There used to be a really good website that explained the safety systems of propane cylinders, but that site no longer exists.....I will try to find another.
I feel the same.
Old 12-29-2012, 10:36 AM   #17

Start with the easy stuff first, blow out at the tube before the burner, then blow out the all the lines, then go to possible issues with components. Most refrig are do to block has line issues. I Always start with the easy cheap checks first
Old 12-29-2012, 11:13 PM   #18

Ok, so I replaced the regulator, I had a new one that I have been meaning to install. I tried the stove first, low flame, then the fridge, I can hear a flame light, it stays on for about a minute, then shuts off with a click/thud noise... it does this 3 times, then the check light is back on! Ill be blowing out the lines in a day or two, maybe that'll fix it.
Old 12-29-2012, 11:37 PM   #19

BTW the big recall from Dometic was awhile ago but what they did is add a sheet metal shield around the burner stack because some had a fire in the reefer compartment outside. That seemed to cure it. Info is still available on line. You just fill out the Model and Serial number of your box. They will tell you if it was satisfied.
Old 12-30-2012, 09:27 AM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofthemountain View Post
Ok, so I replaced the regulator, I had a new one that I have been meaning to install. I tried the stove first, low flame, then the fridge, I can hear a flame light, it stays on for about a minute, then shuts off with a click/thud noise... it does this 3 times, then the check light is back on! Ill be blowing out the lines in a day or two, maybe that'll fix it.
Did you make sure all gas appliances were completely turned off before you opened the propane cylinder valve ?? That would include the fridge in the off position, stove and oven (including pilot) knobs off, the water heater off (including the pilot if so equipped), the furnace off, and any other gas appliances such as a gas grill. Turn the propane valve on slowly, and wait a couple of minutes before lighting the stove burner only. If you don't get a flame at the stove, then forget about the fridge. Concentrate on getting a flame to the stove burner 1st.

If there is no back pressure detected, then the system will only allow a limited amount of gas to flow.

I couldn't find information on an RVs flow limiting device, but here is some information on a gas grill system....very similar. Troubleshooting Flow Limiting Device on 20# LP Tanks

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote