Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-09-2015, 08:42 PM   #1

Fixed my NeverCold Fridge!

err...I mean Norcold. lol

New to world of RV and purchased a 2016 26DBH Grey Wolf end of June. Took out on 2 day 2 hour away from home trial run last month and noticed fridge was around 60 degrees when we got there. I had installed a 30amp outlet in my garage to have the trailer plugged in at home and it was very cold under AC.

Thought it may be a combination of not working all the time while driving (have seen many comments about it needing to be level) and propane just not keeping it as cold (have also read the comments where Norcold is referred to as Nevercold lol), so didn't worry about it.

But got back from our first big trip this week, 3,600 miles into Canada then Yellowstone. That involved several days of long drives and 3 days of boon docking where the fridge just got very warm. Seemed to be more wrong then just not being level while driving or propane just not keeping it as cold as AC.

Now that I'm home read through the manual and thought I'd take a look at it today.

Unplugged the fridge which kicks in the propane but found although the spark appeared good, there was no flame igniting!

Took the gas line apart and was getting gas out the main line, could hear it when I unplugged. Found no obstruction in the pipe connecting the main line to the actual burner section. Heard gas coming out. Connected the burner unit and manually lit using a grill lighter and it ignited! So I was like, wtf, why not igniting since I seemed to have a strong spark.

Thought to myself maybe the spark was not long enough. Bent the metal 'rod' where the spark originates from up so the distance would be longer and success! It ignited! Tried a few times by plugging in then unplugging and it is now igniting when no AC!

Anyway, happy I figured it out and was able to fix it. Other than that our long trip went well! (I'd already needed the dealer to fix a kink in the water line so happy I didn't need to take it back for this).

Really like the unit so far, tows good with my 2014 Ram 1500 (with airbags I installed)!!
gargoyle999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 08:54 PM   #2
Site Team

Level is not a major concern when towing ( moving). It is important to keep level when stationary so that the liquid ammonia solution does not pool in a low spot. There is sufficient movement when towing to prevent any pooling unless you are very un-level

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 07:56 AM   #3

Thanks for posting this. I am experiencing a similar problem with my Norcold. I packed it prior to our 8 hour drive to the beach and about half way down checked it to find the " NO FL" code flashing on the display. The inside of the refrigerator warmed but we transferred the critical stuff (read beer) to a cooler. I've downloaded the service manual for the unit but hadn't had time to work on it as we have been getting ready to move our primary residence since returning from the beach. I don't remember anything in the manual about adjusting the spark - good catch! And thanks again for sharing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
D LBRS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fridge