Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-11-2014, 05:41 PM   #1

Talking Flip-up Switch guard for Slide-out?

Hi,
We have the Rockwood Mini-lite trailer - I love it! We've only taken it out camping once so far, but hoping to change that soon!
Does anyone know an easy way to install a flip-up switch guard for the electric slide-out button on the main panel? (or other ideas are welcome)
Per the dealer's advice, we are using a jack under the slide-out for stability and as a precaution for when we are playing games at the table and someone gets overly excited and jumps up and down.
I am very concerned that if someone accidentally hits the slide-out button and starts to move the slide in while the jack is under there that it will damage it.
It is very easy to accidentally hit that button instead of the main light switch.
Thanks!!!
Randy
randolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 05:47 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

The slide should be on an independent circuit, so you could just pull the fuse.

If it were me, I wouldn't bother, but then again, I wouldn't bother with the jack either. Yours is obviously a different story since you have concerns. Does the slideout feel unstable without the jack in place?

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 11-11-2014, 06:00 PM   #3

I haven't noticed it feeling unstable, but we only camped once in it and it was just the two of us. We have some rambunctious kids (and friends) that I am afraid may jump around the table inside the slide-out area, so my husband feels better about having the jack underneath. I have already accidentally hit the slide-out button once when I was groping around in the dark for the light switch - luckily, I hit the slide out, not in, so it didn't move. I can check for fuse, but would be nice for an easy cover to keep that concealed unless needed.
Thanks!
Old 11-11-2014, 06:19 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

My kids are fairly rambunctious too. And we haven't had an issue in ours or our brother in laws. Use it for now if it makes you feel safer, but you'll probably find you don't need it unless something's broken.

If you want a cover, i suppose you could find a project box at radio shack about that size and then hinge it in place over the switch. Or you could trace the line from the switch and install a second kill switch elsewhere. Just throwing ideas out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 11-11-2014, 06:22 PM   #5

you can get clear switch covers at Lowes but they will stick out a bit.
Old 11-11-2014, 06:28 PM   #6

You could pull front of the panel and install a keyed switch to kill power to the switch..just make sure not to loose key..
Old 11-11-2014, 06:33 PM   #7

Great ideas! Thanks for everyone's comments!
I'll run them by my husband.
Old 11-11-2014, 06:37 PM   #8

Big Rig Chrome Shop - Semi Truck Chrome Shop, Truck Lighting and Chrome Accessories
Crusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 06:42 PM   #9

SWEET!!!!!!!! That looks like exactly what I wanted! YAY! Thanks Crusader!!!
Old 11-11-2014, 07:24 PM   #10
Always Learning

So, contrary to what your dealer suggested- the camper manufacturer specifically recommends AGAINST slide out jacks. There will always be movement in your camper while you walk around, enter/exit, etc. Since now the camper is moving but the slide is not- you're causing the slide mechanism to fight against itself and likely causing wear where it isn't expected. Your call, but I wouldn't do it on my rig (rambunctious children and heck, rambunctious mommy/daddy "time" (wink)).

As for covers- lots of options for light switch covers. 3 of my 4 slide switches are right where light switches should be. I've had 2 guests press them expecting lights to come on. I haven't covered them, but I would really like to have a switch for the slide out switches in my main control panel (essentially doing the same as pulling the fuse). I talked about it with Sabre, but the idea didn't get any traction.

Tags
slide, slide out