Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-01-2014, 08:46 AM   #1

floor vents not blowing when furnace on

We have a 2015 Columbus 320RS and are new campers. It is equipped with a dual zone dometic thermostat. Zone 1 is the bedroom and zone 2 is the living area.
We turned on the furnace this morning and it is blowing well from the "round" vents, but no warm air is coming from the floor vents by the sofa, bathroom and bedroom. The bathroom and bedroom are quite cold. Is there a separate setting to open the floor vents? Any help would be appreciated.
Geaux_Jeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 08:54 AM   #2

You have to switch them to the furnace and not the ac. The round vents are for the ac.

Life is a highway!!!!!
jimdd810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 09:01 AM   #3

Thanks

The camper only has one furnace. the ac is vented from the ceiling.
there are 3 floor vents (just like in a mobile home) in the camper. We had thought that heat would flow from them but no air is coming from them at all. When the furnace is blowing, there is no warm air in the bedroom or the bathroom and no air comes from the floor vent in the living area. The round vents are working and warm air is flowing from them. We are trying to get warm air into the bathroom and bedroom.
Old 11-01-2014, 09:11 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geaux_Jeaux View Post
The camper only has one furnace. the ac is vented from the ceiling.
there are 3 floor vents (just like in a mobile home) in the camper. We had thought that heat would flow from them but no air is coming from them at all. When the furnace is blowing, there is no warm air in the bedroom or the bathroom and no air comes from the floor vent in the living area. The round vents are working and warm air is flowing from them. We are trying to get warm air into the bathroom and bedroom.
It's a common problem with some systems. You need to first check the ducts at the unit make sure one didn't fall off. Second check the duct work to see if a band or one is crushed. If you don't find anything switch the duct location on the plenum, to one that is getting to much air. third option is to plug that duct whole at the plenum and move it the end. More then likely those all come off 1 run. It could take a little investigation on your part. Hope this helps, but it will stop your problem. Did HVAC for 20 years.....

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 09:34 AM   #5

Does your unit have a heat pump? If you are blowing warm air out of your ac ducts check the thermostat. See if there is a switch labeled electric heat or gas heat. Just a thought.
mcnabbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 09:40 AM   #6

Thanks for your replies, we will check out the duct work.
Old 11-01-2014, 09:48 AM   #7

Mine is not the same as yours but the floor vents throughout our unit are connected to the bedroom thermostat your zone 1. The living area thermostat, your zone 2 controls only the round elevated from the floor vents. Try your zone 1 and see what happens. Our bedroom furnace is the larger btu furnace of the 2.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 11:46 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
Mine is not the same as yours but the floor vents throughout our unit are connected to the bedroom thermostat your zone 1. The living area thermostat, your zone 2 controls only the round elevated from the floor vents. Try your zone 1 and see what happens. Our bedroom furnace is the larger btu furnace of the 2.
bubbles just wondering how do you heat the whole unit at one time? I thought he said he had one furnace? So you are saying you have two furnaces? If he has one stat with 2 zones on it, he might have the wrong stat...Just guessing here or it is wired wrong, wouldn't surprise me at all from FR. but even still he should get heat out of all unless there is a motorized damper involved and I doubt that. then there would have to be only 2 main ducts with a damper in each.

Old 11-01-2014, 03:53 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
bubbles just wondering how do you heat the whole unit at one time? I thought he said he had one furnace? So you are saying you have two furnaces? If he has one stat with 2 zones on it, he might have the wrong stat...Just guessing here or it is wired wrong, wouldn't surprise me at all from FR. but even still he should get heat out of all unless there is a motorized damper involved and I doubt that. then there would have to be only 2 main ducts with a damper in each.
Yes, I have 2 furnaces but only the aft one (bedroom furnace) will be routed thru all the floor vents throughout the unit (heating the entire coach) and that is what I was eluding to. I believe the OP has a 40000 Btu single furnace and perhaps zone 1 is the same as my bedroom unit. But maybe the OP has tried both zones and therefore my input is moot.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 07:45 PM   #10

thanks to all the comments and advice. we got up under the camper and the ducts were not even connected. a little bit of duct tape and we are warming up nicely.
by the way, we have a dual zone stat b/c we have 2 ac's, but only one furnace. the round vents I was taking about were the ones under the cabinets, not the ones for the a/c on the ceiling.
Old 11-02-2014, 01:14 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geaux_Jeaux View Post
thanks to all the comments and advice. we got up under the camper and the ducts were not even connected. a little bit of duct tape and we are warming up nicely.
by the way, we have a dual zone stat b/c we have 2 ac's, but only one furnace. the round vents I was taking about were the ones under the cabinets, not the ones for the a/c on the ceiling.
You just wounder what that factory is doing sometimes, glad you got it all working.....

Old 11-02-2014, 01:26 AM   #12
2007 WildCat 32QBBS

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
It's a common problem with some systems. You need to first check the ducts at the unit make sure one didn't fall off. Second check the duct work to see if a band or one is crushed. If you don't find anything switch the duct location on the plenum, to one that is getting to much air. third option is to plug that duct whole at the plenum and move it the end. More then likely those all come off 1 run. It could take a little investigation on your part. Hope this helps, but it will stop your problem. Did HVAC for 20 years.....
That 20 years of experience paid off. You were right on I'd say.
18CrewDually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 11:57 AM   #13

Furnace ducting problem?

We have a brand new 2017 Wildcat Maxx 262RGX. There is plenty of hot air blowing through the vent in the kitchen area. There is very little forced hot air in the livingroom and zero hot air coming out of the vents in the bathroom and bedroom. In addition, with the furnace running, the underbelly of the fifth wheel is extremely hot. Big Country RV in Bend Oregon (the dealer) has been attempting to solve the problem for three weeks now, and has basically told us to take it home, they've done what they can. Seems like a simple ducting problem and an easy fix.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to proceed with the manufacturer to get this resolved?

Thanks so much!

Wildcat Maxine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 12:04 PM   #14
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Lazy dealer.....had your problem with this unit.....found ripped ducts where they pass by the holding tanks.......replaced hoses..and still not happy.....the hoses loose too much heat thru the sidewalls of hose, so this summer will be replacing them with insulated type
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
furnace, vent