Old 09-16-2015, 12:49 PM   #11
thanks every one...mine is like the white one above [except black] the darn thing open...those tabs are not in a chanel that slide up ...I pushed up with way more pressure than I would have thought neccessary ...the tabs then bent up/arcing out...the flap hinged have air flowing out .... thanks again.

2008 F250 6.4 diesel with 50 gal aux tank towing a 2015 Rockwood 2109s Minilite.
2015 Miles and nights
2016 miles and nights
feb. 380/7......march 540/3
deebarjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 12:51 PM   #12
X4 on my Mini Lite. This should have been convered on the PDI.

Evereddie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 01:34 PM   #13
On my 5er I had same problem only caulking was holding it solid....Once opened I push a sponge up inside to keep it closed when travelling...Cannot reach from ground to close and open .........J
Jim in Halifax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 03:17 PM   #14
Glad I read through this post. Our smoke alarm has been going off every time we cook anything smoky even with the exhaust vent blowing and roof fans going. One time it went off and we were cooking a cobbler on the outside grill. What the heck! I checked and did feel some air exhausting and could smell some butter (a true staple of camp cooking!!), but now I will try and pop the flap and see if that alleviates our smoke alarm drills. Thanks again!
Chris D.

'09 BMW X5 xDrive35D (TV)
'05 Porsche Cayenne (Wife's)
'15 Flagstaff Micro Lite 23LB (TT)
MudyOvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 03:20 PM   #15
We have a 2011 MiniLite etc 181 TT and it has the black cowling over the flap with the same type of locking system. I fought opening and closing it for a year before simply leaving it open all the time. The only time I close it is when the wind is howling and it makes a lot of noise and disturbs sleep. It doesn't seem to mind being left open and shows no sign of breaking.
HikerBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 04:34 PM   #16
Originally Posted by stantyszka View Post
I have a similar problem in my wildwood x lite. It does not seem like it is venting. Smoke alarm goes off EVERY time I cook. Pictures would help. I'll try and post some of mine tomorrow.
My Coachmen 17 FQ does the same thing and I know the vent is open and working. My solution is to just remove the battery from it before using the stove. Lay it on my pillow so I remember to put it back before I turn in.
I've wondered if replacing it with a name brand one would reduce the false alarms.
As to the original topic I have a small lever on each side of the flap. They simply swing up or down to the point they are parallel with the frame. Usually do it right after pulling out the power cord on that side of the trailer. Then flip them into place to hold the flap shut right before I unplug.
2014 Coachman Clipper 17FQ
2011 Ford Ranger 4X4
Kenrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 04:44 PM   #17
Mine are the small lever type that just push down on each lower corner.....then the flapper vent is free to operate. After a dozen times doing this on various campouts, I forgot to latch it back closed. Now it's gone! Anyone know if a replacement is available on-line? Thanks!
checkmate99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 04:47 PM   #18
ONe of my vent latches stick, I use a flat screwdriver and carefully pry it out.
gmjvlretiree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 02:59 PM   #19
I heard you have to replace the whole vent, not just the door that fell off.
A32Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 12:28 AM   #20
We opened our vent the first time out a year ago never closed it since. Made a 7K trip this summer to Alaska and didn't seem to have any dust or other problem. Don't see any reason to close it unless we get into a really dusty area.

Swift 2 is offline   Reply With Quote

forest river, trailer, vent