Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-10-2015, 07:19 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swift 2 View Post
We opened our vent the first time out a year ago never closed it since. Made a 7K trip this summer to Alaska and didn't seem to have any dust or other problem. Don't see any reason to close it unless we get into a really dusty area.
One reason to close it, ANTS! If you camp where there are ants or ants where you store it, be careful.
Evereddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 02:30 PM   #22

Okay, on our last trip (visited Dauphin Island, AL) I opened the flap for the exhaust hood. I could definitely feel the difference in the airflow with it open. However, the detector still went off and my wife was only baking biscuits. I guess we will have to power down (remove battery) the smoke detector when we cook inside the camper. Kenrod, the pillow idea is great, except we have a murphy bed. :-(.

'09 BMW X5 xDrive35D (TV)
'15 Porsche Cayenne Diesel (Wife's)
'15 Flagstaff Micro Lite 23LB (TT)
MudyOvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 03:07 PM   #23

Important point about exhaust fans. (house and camper) To exhaust air from a closed space you must provide an equal if not larger opening from which the air can come into the space. So when using an exhaust fan over the stove you must open a window all the way or have the screen door open. Air has to come into a space for it to be able to be blown out of that space. An exhaust fan over the stove is worthless without a window open. The bathroom fan is worthless without a window open. Basic physics.
Old 11-10-2015, 03:09 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swift 2 View Post
We opened our vent the first time out a year ago never closed it since. Made a 7K trip this summer to Alaska and didn't seem to have any dust or other problem. Don't see any reason to close it unless we get into a really dusty area.

Mine gets secured prior to pulling out. My luck it would rattle off a mile down the road.
stantyszka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 11:52 AM   #25

Ours had some glue or something holding it shut when we first took delivery of our TT. I had to cut all the glue out (consistency of hot glue) to get the vent open.
Old 11-11-2015, 12:20 PM   #26

Changed our hood fan out to the one they were selling in Goshen. What a difference. Just like changing out the fan in the bathroom. Now they both move air rather than make noise!
A32Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 05:19 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by A32Deuce View Post
Changed our hood fan out to the one they were selling in Goshen. What a difference. Just like changing out the fan in the bathroom. Now they both move air rather than make noise!
Can you tell us the model? I've been needing to do this real bad. Wife cooks a lot of good stuff and making it quieter and more effective would be a nice change.
Old 11-11-2015, 05:27 PM   #28
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evereddie View Post
Important point about exhaust fans. (house and camper) To exhaust air from a closed space you must provide an equal if not larger opening from which the air can come into the space. So when using an exhaust fan over the stove you must open a window all the way or have the screen door open. Air has to come into a space for it to be able to be blown out of that space. An exhaust fan over the stove is worthless without a window open. The bathroom fan is worthless without a window open. Basic physics.
That's funny IMO with the construction of FR products there are more than enough air leaks all over the units to more than supply an adequate amount of air for any range hood or bathroom vent fan at the same time.
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 05:53 PM   #29

I have to go to the RV to get the name. It also has a high speed setting and a night lite setting.
Old 11-11-2015, 07:19 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudyOvl View Post
Glad I read through this post. Our smoke alarm has been going off every time we cook anything smoky even with the exhaust vent blowing and roof fans going. One time it went off and we were cooking a cobbler on the outside grill. What the heck! I checked and did feel some air exhausting and could smell some butter (a true staple of camp cooking!!), but now I will try and pop the flap and see if that alleviates our smoke alarm drills. Thanks again!

You'll get smoke and CO you can't smell without the flap open - should set off CO alarm too if you don't have a door or window open and aren't venting using the range hood or a vent fan. Dangerous. Isn't there a warning label right on the range hood about this?
Old 11-11-2015, 07:21 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evereddie View Post
Can you tell us the model? I've been needing to do this real bad. Wife cooks a lot of good stuff and making it quieter and more effective would be a nice change.
PM member B&B he installed and posted the info on the same Fan! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 07:23 PM   #32

Evereddie. Here is what I used. Fabulous Operating Products, SAM-1-81 Range Hood Upgrade Kit. Amazon for $199.00. Does a great job. Really does vent now!
Old 03-09-2016, 10:24 PM   #33
Happy Camper

I just leave mine open too.
Johntgif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 10:45 PM   #34

For those that leave yours open... I only left mine open when not in storage. One day, I found the fan didn't work. I assumed it was a fuse or the switch. Nope, after removing everything, I found a mud dauber nest on the fan. When I purchased the camper the dealer tried selling me those screens. I bought one for the furnace exhaust but not one for the vent fan outlet. It must have caused the fan to burn out as after removing the mud, the fan still didn't work. Had to be replaced.
Other Ride: 2006 Harley Ultra Classic
Jayfro04 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
forest river, trailer, vent