Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-02-2015, 03:15 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark0224 View Post
The LED shouldn't be a problem just let it sit inside for a couple of days before turning on so that any condensation that may form because of bringing it in from the cold doesn't cause a short. As for the people that left LCD TV's out in the trailer I was told that they are lucky LCD stands for Liquid Crystal Display and the liquid part can freeze and crack the screen. Have seen some of the LCD screens on cell phones crack from being left out in car.
The only difference between LED and LCD sets is the back light that shines through the liquid crystal display.

LED sets are just what they sound like, and use LED lighting for the backlight. LCD sets use cold cathode fluorescent lamps for the backlight.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/home-th...ed-vs-lcd-tvs/
Old 03-02-2015, 03:21 PM   #22

Have left mine in the Camper all year since 2011--winter here is around minus 15F most of the winter and the TV works great?
Claude002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 03:54 PM   #23

Tv freezes

I have never heard of anyone removing tv in winter but I don't live where it get below 0 degrees
Boso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 04:02 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampLife2014 View Post
Hello all. First time owner (last year) and my priority for winterizing was for the plumbing and I didn't even think about the TV (LED with built-in DVD player). I left it in the camper and we're having a record cold winter where we have gone over a month below freezing (and days in the negatives).

We have it stored indoors (not heated), but I'm reading online that the TV only has a 50/50 chance of surviving.

Is there anyone else who has done this? What were the results?

Thanks!
If it came with your unit, it's made to take the abuse. I wouldn't worry about it.
Stovebolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 10:58 AM   #25

Exclamation Condensation Killer

Quote:
The LED shouldn't be a problem just let it sit inside for a couple of days before turning on so that any condensation that may form because of bringing it in from the cold doesn't cause a short. As for the people that left LCD TV's out in the trailer I was told that they are lucky LCD stands for Liquid Crystal Display and the liquid part can freeze and crack the screen. Have seen some of the LCD screens on cell phones crack from being left out in car.
Until this year, we had never had a problem with our TV's or computer monitors. Left it in storage compound for the last 6 years in Manitoba, where temperatures are routinely in -20 to -30 range for months. We made the trip from Manitoba to south Texas (almost 2000 miles straight south) in four days. When we turned the TV on, on day 5; there were several, blue, vertical streaks coming down from the top edge of the screen. Looks like blue icicles. I believe that this was due to the rapid change in temperature which caused condensation to leak between the front skin and the LED panel. The "icicle effect" only sometimes interferes with our TV viewing, so we won't replace it until it dies.
Bottom line - Don't bring the TV from the cold into the warm, moist environment of a home. Leave it in your rig until the warmer spring weather brings it up to a reasonable temperature. I agree with one of the later posts that heat is the killer of electronics, but condensation doesn't help either.
BlackMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 11:21 AM   #26

I have never pulled mine out and have had no problems.
Old 03-03-2015, 03:47 PM   #27
Site Team

Quote:
As for the people that left LCD TV's out in the trailer I was told that they are lucky LCD stands for Liquid Crystal Display and the liquid part can freeze and crack the screen. Have seen some of the LCD screens on cell phones crack from being left out in car.
Have YOU personally experienced a cracked cell phone from cold or seen
one with your own eyes?
The "don't let your LCD freeze" may be from 15-20 years ago.
Some of the very first lap tops could be damaged by cold but not today.
As you can read in this thread- many of us, myself included, leave our TVs
in the RV all year with no issues.

Don't make RVing harder than it already is!

Happy Trails!
2016 Evergreen Everlite 242RBS
29' empty nest model. Blue Ox WD hitch
(1 queen bed, large main cabin and huge bathroom)
Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49, 2022-43, 2023-66
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 03:53 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBS View Post
I've hauled loads of tv's from Chicago that have sat in the shipping container for months in the middle of winter.
Still got any left and what ya charging for them, on the "DL"
Old 03-03-2015, 04:02 PM   #29
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojojojo View Post
Still got any left and what ya charging for them, on the "DL"
On the dl of course!
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winter