Old 10-16-2015, 12:55 PM   #1
Freezer icing up

We have a dometic freezer/fridg in our fagstaff 21 FBRS that is icing up thick on the back inside, along the top of the door and top of freezer under the shelf. We bought the trailer last fall (our first foray into rv ing) and the freezer was fine during the 6 week trip last fall and a 3 week trip this July/Aug. Towards the end of the trip in Aug it started icing up. We stopped at a dealership and had it checked and he found no leaks in the seals. After turning it off and defrosting it back at home, I turned it back on and it is again icing up. One funny thing, I freeze sliced banana to use in shakes and they stayed frozen both trips until this happened, then they turned to mush while the ice cubes and meat stayed frozen solid. Ice cream also goes to mush. The guy at the RV center said that is normal. BUT it wasn't normal last fall or the first part of the summer trip. Anyone have any ideas on what the problem is?

jeanniemcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 09:36 PM   #2
What temperature is the fridge when the freezer freezes?

Cajun Style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 09:49 PM   #3
Site Team
The back of the freezer has to be below freezing to work properly. If there is Ice/frost build up on the back, it is caused by moisture in the freezer freezing on the back. Check the door seal to insure that it is not damaged. If the door is working properly, than it is most likely just caused by opening the freezer door in very humid environment. When it is humid, you need to minimize the time the freezer door is open.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 65W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 06:13 PM   #4
I don't know about your refrigerator, but the Dometic DM2652 in our Sunseeker is not an automatic defrost unit. During long trips I defrost it about every 4 weeks.

If the refrigerator fins frost up, the temperature sensor on one of the fins thinks it's cold enough and the refrigerator won't run. The freezer will then not stay cold.

Is the temperature sensor in the right place? What is the temperature in the coach and outside? Read my post on this section about an odd problem with my refrigerator. Even if that's not your problem maybe it will still give you a clue to figure out your problem.

There’s a great set of videos about RV refrigerators by Ford's RV repair. I don't have access to a link now but it's been discussed in the FROG forum.
2011 Sunseeker 3100
1997 Pathfinder Toad
RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote