Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-20-2013, 07:15 AM   #1

Freezer works but fridge doesn't-HELP

I have a 365saq with dometic fridge. The freezer is working but the fridge isn't cooling. It was functional yesterday before I left home.
Woody1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 07:55 AM   #2

To the best of my knowledge there's only one cooling system so if the freezer is actually freezing (and not just cool), the fridge should be cold as well. Do you have a door ajar by some chance?
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 08:24 AM   #3
Steve & Phyllis

Common problem. You can Google "dometic freezer works but not refrigerator" and there are several items on diagnosing issue.
SteveBingham52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 08:25 AM   #4
Steve & Phyllis

Oh yeah. I know that because I had same issue. Got lucky mine was simple fix.
SteveBingham52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 12:11 PM   #5

I think I solved the mystery, at least I hope so. I hit a low hanging limb in route to my destination, which destroyed my fridge vent cover on the roof. As soon as I discovered it I sealed off the entire vent opening with 3 heavy duty trash bags and duct taped it down. The fridge was working before I did that. I didn’t realize that the vent actually pulls the hot air away from the fridge. Found that out when I went to my dealer for a new vent cover. So, hopefully that's the problem. If that's not it then the next thing I'm going to do is try unhooking the temp sensor that regulates the temp in the fridge. Thanks for your response though.
Old 09-21-2013, 06:31 AM   #6

Mine has a switch in the freezer area on top when you open the door some kind of control switch, switch to on.
Mine works crazy, mine has a little slide temp control in the fridge play with it till it starts to work!
HarrynSally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 11:14 AM   #7

Problem solved. The plastic and duct tape I put over the vent until I could install a new cover was preventing heat from escaping. Once I removed the plastic and put the new cover on things are back to normal. Thanks for the comments.
Old 11-27-2013, 04:35 PM   #8

Mine has a recall on it could catch on fire
I went to fo r est river web site and seen the recall
Old 05-13-2014, 09:31 PM   #9

No one wants to do the recall repair, So I disconnected the gas line and plugged and caped each end now it's safe to operate !!
Old 05-13-2014, 09:49 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarrynSally View Post
No one wants to do the recall repair, So I disconnected the gas line and plugged and caped each end now it's safe to operate !!
That's a little dramatic. All the dealers did to satisfy the "fire risk" was to add a sheet metal guard to the outside of the boiler stack covering the burner so it couldn't malfunction and cause a fire in the back of the fridge. Just look at any other newer RV with a frig like yours, its obvious if you have the recalled model in difference at the burner.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 10:13 PM   #11
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarrynSally View Post
If you go to the Dometic web site you will find a certified repair facility who will install the parts for you. It is an easy fix. Turns out I did not need to drive to my dealer at all; the garage across the street is actually "certified" by Dometic to repair their fridge's. There were 3 more within 5 miles of my house. The dealer was 45 minutes away.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 10:19 PM   #12
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceU View Post
That's a little dramatic. All the dealers did to satisfy the "fire risk" was to add a sheet metal guard to the outside of the boiler stack covering the burner so it couldn't malfunction and cause a fire in the back of the fridge. Just look at any other newer RV with a frig like yours, its obvious if you have the recalled model in difference at the burner.
They also added a thermal circuit breaker to the stack to shut off the gas if there was an overheat in the burner stack.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ohmcheckmeter2.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	34.1 KB
ID:	52357  
Attached Images

Old 05-14-2014, 09:32 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herk7769 View Post
They also added a thermal circuit breaker to the stack to shut off the gas if there was an overheat in the burner stack.
You are correct Lou, been awhile, forgot the trip in the stack, but then look at the date on your photo, I think the recall was in 2006, his fridge is not one of the troubled ones?
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 11:27 AM   #14

Mine is an 06

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Forest River Forums mobile app
Old 05-14-2014, 04:17 PM   #15
Site Team - Lou

The photo was from a web page on how to do the mod.

Tags
fridge