Old 06-09-2016, 09:50 PM   #1

Wink freezer works fine refrigerater does not

we purchased a new roockwood roo hybrid 2 weeks ago. everything was fine until today when we got ready to leave again. the freezer is like the artic but no cooling in the refer unit. lights are on when we open door. any idea whats wrong
thanks chuck

Old 06-09-2016, 10:07 PM   #2

how long has the fridge been on? Takes about a day to get cold. Works better with stuff in it. I usually put some sodas and water bottles in there.

davel1971 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 10:36 PM   #3

It sounds like the light switch is defective allowing the bulb to stay on. If it is an incandescent bulb they put out a lot of heat causing the freezer to be super cold and the fridge not as cool as it should be.
If you want to use your fridge right away, pop the light cover off and remove the light. Turn the fridge off for 15-20 min and let the bulb cool down first though before removing it or you will get a nasty burn.

2007 Surveyor SV230
- 200 Watts Solar/MPPT Controller - 230 AH Battery Bank - 600 watt PSW Inverter - (2) 2000 watt Inverter Generators - LED Lighting - Boon Docking 99% of the time.
2009 F150 - 5.4 Litre - Tow Package
boondocking is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 06:29 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by boondocking View Post
It sounds like the light switch is defective allowing the bulb to stay on. If it is an incandescent bulb they put out a lot of heat causing the freezer to be super cold and the fridge not as cool as it should be.
If you want to use your fridge right away, pop the light cover off and remove the light. Turn the fridge off for 15-20 min and let the bulb cool down first though before removing it or you will get a nasty burn.
the OP said the light is on when the door is open, not on all the time
davel1971 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 06:43 AM   #5
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by davel1971 View Post
If the switch is stuck ON or blocked by a food item, it will stay on with the door closed.

Additionally, check that the temperature control has not fallen off the fridge fins.

This thermistor needs to be located about in the middle of the fin in order to cool the fridge. If it falls off, the fridge will not cool.

Also check the fins are not covered with ice. If there is a lot of humidity in your camper, and the door is left open a lot, the fins can get clear ice on them.

Also check for over packing, without air circulation over the fins, the fridge portion will not cool.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130507_213201.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	110682  

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 08:08 AM   #6
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

If the freezer is cold then the fridge should be as well " the freezer cools the fridge" I vote the light is staying on!
Put your phone on video and stick it in the fridge to see if light stays on.

2015 Columbus 320RS
2008 2500HD Duramax
2015 nights camped "34"
2016 nights camped "10"
Old 06-10-2016, 08:19 AM   #7
Site Team

There is not a lot of energy absorbing mass in an empty fridge so it may not feel cold if it is empty. Because of the lower efficiency of an RV fridge, they work best when filled with cold items. This allows them to absorb the heat energy that enters when the door is opened. I have a wireless dual temp thermometer that allows me to easily see the fridge and freezer temp. It has alarms so I don't have surprises. When prepping for a trip, I bring the display head in the house so I can see temps without going out to camper.
See Below
https://www.amazon.com/AcuRite-Refri...uckduckgo-d-20

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 08:48 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
There is not a lot of energy absorbing mass in an empty fridge so it may not feel cold if it is empty. Because of the lower efficiency of an RV fridge, they work best when filled with cold items. This allows them to absorb the heat energy that enters when the door is opened. I have a wireless dual temp thermometer that allows me to easily see the fridge and freezer temp. It has alarms so I don't have surprises. When prepping for a trip, I bring the display head in the house so I can see temps without going out to camper.
See Below
https://www.amazon.com/AcuRite-Refri...uckduckgo-d-20
I have those too, they work well. I have two sets, one for the TT one for the home refrigerator.
Old 06-10-2016, 11:18 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by davel1971 View Post
OP says "lights are on when we open door" not ; lights turn on when we open door.

2007 Surveyor SV230
- 200 Watts Solar/MPPT Controller - 230 AH Battery Bank - 600 watt PSW Inverter - (2) 2000 watt Inverter Generators - LED Lighting - Boon Docking 99% of the time.
2009 F150 - 5.4 Litre - Tow Package
boondocking is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 01:04 PM   #10

open the door and manually move the switch that turns the light off. I had this issue once and bought a new switch to fine out the problem was a butter fly switch on the door frame at the top and the wife was cleaning and changed the switch for High humidly. problem solved.

labarn