Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-05-2013, 09:40 AM   #1
DDC

Fridge

I have read threads where people have trouble getting their Dometic fridge to cool enough but we are having the opposite, we took temp readings and are 0C or32F in the fridge area, it seems a bit too cold plus the beer has ice in it, any ideas?
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 09:45 AM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDC View Post
I have read threads where people have trouble getting their Dometic fridge to cool enough but we are having the opposite, we took temp readings and are 0C or32F in the fridge area, it seems a bit too cold plus the beer has ice in it, any ideas?
Adjust the thermostat. There is a slide clip on the fins inside fridge, you move it one way or another along the fin to adjust the temp inside.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:19 AM   #3

It was explained to us as; it depends upon how much of that little sensor in that fin that slides up and down is exposed. Looks like a cigarette sort of. I remember it seeming to be backwards somehow. The more it's exposed the colder it gets, but I'm probably wrong. You could always call your service person and have them explain it again, but yes it's that

Nev
NevadaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:53 AM   #4
DDC

It has a slide on the fins and an arrow pointing down to make it warmer and I have it all the way down, when we started our trip it was mid-way and things were freezing.
Old 02-05-2013, 11:09 AM   #5
Site Team - Lou

Are you running in "AUTO" or "MANUAL"?

3. START-UP INSTRUCTIONS
Before starting the refrigerator, check that all the manual gas valves are in the ON position. DO NOT forget the manual shutoff valve on the rear of the refrigerator. See FIG. 6. This refrigerator is equipped with a control system, which can automatically select the most suitable energy source which is available, either 120 Volt AC or LP gas operation. The refrigerator can be operated in either the AUTO mode (thermostat factory preset below the safe food storage temperature) or MANUAL mode (continuous operation - no
thermostat control).

NOTE: Under certain cool weather conditions, the food in the lower portion of the fresh food compartment may freeze if operated for an extended period of time on the MANUAL mode.

A. A 12 volt DC supply must be available for the electronic control to function. The refrigerator will work down to 9.6 volt DC.

B. Press the main power ON/OFF button (1) to the DOWN position.

In AUTO mode operation, the temperature is controlled by a single temperature setting, on the energy source selected by the control system. (See Auto Mode)

C. In MANUAL mode operation, the refrigerator will run continuously on the energy source selected by the control system. (See Manual Mode)

NOTE: The food in the lower compartment may be frozen if the refrigerator is left on MANUAL mode.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf DM 2652operation.pdf (193.7 KB, 24 views)
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:31 AM   #6
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I've never seen a "manual" setting. Mine have always been On/Off and Auto/Gas, where auto selects between electric or gas. Temp has always been controled inside by the slider, which I honestly couldn't tell you which way or how it slides, without looking at it.
Old 02-05-2013, 12:12 PM   #7
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttrost65 View Post
I've never seen a "manual" setting. Mine have always been On/Off and Auto/Gas, where auto selects between electric or gas. Temp has always been controled inside by the slider, which I honestly couldn't tell you which way or how it slides, without looking at it.
AUTO/GAS is the button they are talking about (I believe).
Which setting are you using?
Old 02-05-2013, 12:18 PM   #8
DDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
Are you running in "AUTO" or "MANUAL"?

3. START-UP INSTRUCTIONS
Before starting the refrigerator, check that all the manual gas valves are in the ON position. DO NOT forget the manual shutoff valve on the rear of the refrigerator. See FIG. 6. This refrigerator is equipped with a control system, which can automatically select the most suitable energy source which is available, either 120 Volt AC or LP gas operation. The refrigerator can be operated in either the AUTO mode (thermostat factory preset below the safe food storage temperature) or MANUAL mode (continuous operation - no
thermostat control).

NOTE: Under certain cool weather conditions, the food in the lower portion of the fresh food compartment may freeze if operated for an extended period of time on the MANUAL mode.

A. A 12 volt DC supply must be available for the electronic control to function. The refrigerator will work down to 9.6 volt DC.

B. Press the main power ON/OFF button (1) to the DOWN position.

In AUTO mode operation, the temperature is controlled by a single temperature setting, on the energy source selected by the control system. (See Auto Mode)

C. In MANUAL mode operation, the refrigerator will run continuously on the energy source selected by the control system. (See Manual Mode)

NOTE: The food in the lower compartment may be frozen if the refrigerator is left on MANUAL mode.
It only has two buttons on top, one is on/off and the other is auto/gas the only other control is a slide on the right side of the fins.
It was off for a few months, when we started our trip to Florida from Ontario the outside temp was -14c so I did not bother turning the fridge on till we got to Georgia, I have it set to run on auto as we are hooked up to electric.
Old 02-05-2013, 12:53 PM   #9
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDC View Post
It only has two buttons on top, one is on/off and the other is auto/gas the only other control is a slide on the right side of the fins.
It was off for a few months, when we started our trip to Florida from Ontario the outside temp was -14c so I did not bother turning the fridge on till we got to Georgia, I have it set to run on auto as we are hooked up to electric.
There is a real good chance the freezing happened during the drive; -14C is pretty darn cold.
Old 02-05-2013, 12:58 PM   #10
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
AUTO/GAS is the button they are talking about (I believe).
Which setting are you using?
The auto/gas selects between power source, of which, both sources are controlled by the thermostat. What and where is manual? If the fridge is on gas, it's still controlled by thermostat. The manual even says as much.
Old 02-05-2013, 01:06 PM   #11
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
The auto/gas selects between power source, of which, both sources are controlled by the thermostat. What and where is manual? If the fridge is on gas, it's still controlled by thermostat. The manual even says as much.
I attached the manual with my post. Since you did not mention which model you had I took a guess as to a model that would freeze your food with the wrong settings.

You did not mention the fridge was off and the camper ambient temperature was -14C. Makes troubleshooting a bit difficult.

If you have a newer one and the camper was warm, check the attached manual for newer fridge (page 5) under LIMP mode of operation.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Dometic Refridgerators new Manual.pdf (2.90 MB, 18 views)
Old 02-05-2013, 01:20 PM   #12
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
I attached the manual with my post. Since you did not mention which model you had I took a guess as to a model that would freeze your food with the wrong settings.

You did not mention the fridge was off and the camper ambient temperature was -14C. Makes troubleshooting a bit difficult.

If you have a newer one and the camper was warm, check the attached manual for newer fridge (page 5) under LIMP mode of operation.
The OP states his fridge was starting to freeze his food. My suggestion was he needed to adjust his thermostat. Your post seemed to suggest that he may have possibly had his fridge set to "manual". I have just not seen a manual switch and was curious. The previous manual, I felt, was a bit ambiguous and seemed to contradict itself. The later manual suggests that the OP has a malfunction and requires service, provided he already tried adjusting the thermostat.
Old 02-05-2013, 01:22 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDC
Sounds like the thermister has failed (the slide device) or the thermostat portion of the control electronic board. The cooliing system is out of control.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 02:31 PM   #14
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
The OP states his fridge was starting to freeze his food. My suggestion was he needed to adjust his thermostat. Your post seemed to suggest that he may have possibly had his fridge set to "manual". I have just not seen a manual switch and was curious. The previous manual, I felt, was a bit ambiguous and seemed to contradict itself. The later manual suggests that the OP has a malfunction and requires service, provided he already tried adjusting the thermostat.
Sorry Tim, I got you confused with the OP's issue.
Dometic makes several different models of fridge.
Old 02-05-2013, 02:56 PM   #15
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Sorry Tim, I got you confused with the OP's issue.
Dometic makes several different models of fridge.
No problem. I really don't ever remember having or seeing a manual setting on any fridge I've ever had, and still don't understand the concept as your first manual explains it. Maybe I'm reading more into it than what's there. I've been accused of over analyzing the obvious, quite often by wife.
Old 02-05-2013, 04:25 PM   #16

Send a message via Skype™ to DAISY BOYKIN
Just about---------

Just about any RV store has the THERMISTOR, they are anywhere from $12.00-$20.00 +, I had one to go bad and every thing in the fridge froze.
If you replace it, make sure you put the new one in the same place as the old one (same fin and position) for it to work correctly. Camping World has them. You will need make and model of fridge to match the thermistor.

TST Truck System Technologies TM-507SE
DAYS CAMPED 2022 51 DAYS
[SIGPIC][/SI[SIGPIC]
DAISY BOYKIN is offline   Reply With Quote