Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-12-2012, 01:15 PM   #1

Question Fridge & Propane

I have a Freedom Express 292 BHDS.

Regarding the fridge which I know can run of electricity and from what I understand it can also run off gas. We leave our travel trailer in storage at an outdoor facility that does not offer electrical power.

My question. If I go out to the facility the night before and turn the fridge on using the propane will it really cool down to normal fridge temps in 24 hours going from a hot fridge to a cold fridge? Also, are there any concerns with doing this?

Also, is it really safe to tow the travel trailer with the propane on to keep the fridge cool?
burati1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 01:28 PM   #2
H2oski

Yes it will cool down within 24 hrs with gas. You must have a fully charged battery though. No Batt No Frig. Yes it is safe to tow with the fridge on gas.
(LA) Lower Alabama
h20ski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 01:35 PM   #3

I don't see any problem as long as the unit is level, It's not any deferrant than dry camping. Your only using a small amount of propane to keep the pilot light going on the refrig. to circulate the fluid in the lines not like running the furnance.
Old 11-12-2012, 01:42 PM   #4

I find that my unit will get down to temp faster with the propane on, also remember it really is just a pilot light that converts the ammonia to gas not much propane burned (in simple terms) it not like you home refer as I'm sure you discovered. You need the 12V as stated above to run the light inside and the electronic ignition and circuit board.
Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 03:00 PM   #5

Thank you all very much for the information. I very much appreciate it!! I disconnect my battery once parked into storage.
burati1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
292 bhds, 292bhds, fridge, propane, freedom express