Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-26-2011, 12:45 PM   #1

Fridge Died

Ok, dometic fridge, good power supply to the outlet, all 3 fuses good. No coach or chassis fuses blown or breakers tripped. When the unit is unplugged, you can hear the propane burner light, but then it turns off after a little bit. The LED display does not light up at all and the three buttons seem to have no affect. It was working well a week ago, when we went out to the unit last Saturday the fridge was warm and everything in the icebox was melted. It has been parked by my barn last 5 weeks or so, plugged into 15amp shore power. Any ideas?
Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 01:22 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Hello Joker,

Since your post is actually starting a new thread with your own problems, how about doing that. Here you are tagged on the end of a lengthy thread. I think you would get better response if you started another one, stating your own problems.

Also since your signature says future Berkshire owner, it might be helpful to know what you have now, and the model of the refer you are referring to. Make sure to start your new thread in the proper trailer or motor home section for the most help.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 02:11 PM   #3
Proud Member

Windrider is correct. You will get better response from a new thread. I have a couple of ideas for you. I will look for the new thread, and then post my response there
Reese SC WD System 800/10,000 lbs
1976 Cessna 177RG
Wife, son, twin daughters, and mother

red.jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 02:27 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Joker, I went on and started a new thread for you. We can either leave it here, or put it in a specific model once you indicate what you own currently.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 02:35 PM   #5

Can't seem to find a place to update my profile. Perhaps it can't be done within the FR app?

Anyhow, it's a 2012 Berkshire 390BH with 4door fridge. I am about 800 miles from my rig right now, so I don't have the model number in front of me.
Old 09-26-2011, 02:39 PM   #6

Oh, by the way, if it's not something simple, it's still under warranty and I'll just take it back to my dealer, I just wanted to make sure there wasn't some hidden reset switch or something.
Old 09-26-2011, 02:50 PM   #7
Proud Member

Here are my suggestions:

1. 2012 model year? Then you are still under warranty. Find your favorite repair facility and make an appointment. That will be the cheapest resolution, but not the quickest. For me, this took about 10 calendar days when it happened to me.

2. When you open the door to the fridge, does the interior light turn on? If yes, lack of power does not appear to be your problem. If the light does not come on, focus on getting the refrigerator power. (I know that is what you have done, but keep looking. There is no power.)

3. You say the burner starts on propane then stops. Try running on A/C electric if you can. Leave it on for a couple of hours. Is the burner hot? Hot enough that you can't comfortably touch it? If yes, you need repair. The system has probably leaked the refrigerant and is no longer operable. There may be other causes, but ultimately, you have input to the system, but no output. That's not how they are supposed to work. If the burner is not hot, the controller has a problem. Again, you need repair. Take the information you gathered from this step and share it with the repair technician. It will save him money, and you time. You will both benefit.

Good luck. Please keep us posted.
1976 Cessna 177RG

Old 09-30-2011, 11:30 AM   #8

Solution:

So, it was the power supply. The connection to the circuit board that had the 110v input had come loose. It was still in position, but somehow was loose enough to not provide power. I'm not sure how this happened as it was sitting by the barn for the two weeks prior and was working perfectly.

Thanks for everyone's input!
Old 09-30-2011, 01:34 PM   #9
Proud Member

Excellent. Thank you for the update. I was wondering how it was going. I'm glad you didn't need to take it in on a warranty repair.
1976 Cessna 177RG

Old 10-06-2011, 09:54 PM   #10

I have an 09 FR flagstaff pop up with a similar problem. Propane, electric, and battery power all give me the same results. The heating element gets very hot to the touch, but the fridge will not cool. I don't have the spare change to have it professionally repaired and I have no warranty, does anyone have an recommendations for me as far as troubleshooting or even fixing the problem myself?
kbfuselier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 10:27 PM   #11
Site Team - Lou

I have some help in the form of manuals and a troubleshooting guide.

Cheap parts available here:
http://www.dinosaurelectronics.com/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	120 VAC Fuse.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	8384  
Attached Files
File Type: doc Fridge Operation and Trouble shooting.doc (356.5 KB, 51 views)
File Type: pdf DM 2652operation.pdf (193.7 KB, 63 views)
File Type: pdf DM2652 RV Fridge Installation Manual.pdf (3.05 MB, 27 views)
File Type: pdf DM2652 RV Fridge Parts List.pdf (366.8 KB, 48 views)
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 08:03 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbfuselier View Post
I have an 09 FR flagstaff pop up with a similar problem. Propane, electric, and battery power all give me the same results. The heating element gets very hot to the touch, but the fridge will not cool. I don't have the spare change to have it professionally repaired and I have no warranty, does anyone have an recommendations for me as far as troubleshooting or even fixing the problem myself?
after a couple hrs, is the heat sink (al fins in frig) inside the frig warm or noticeably cooler than surroundings?
my first thought is the veneration on the outside coil may be blocked. if u don't get any cooling at all on the inside, that isn't good.
do u get any hint of the smell of ammonia anywhere around or inside the frig (it may be rather low).
jimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 03:25 PM   #13

no ammonia leak. fixed broblem by disconnecting and turning fridge upside down for 30 minutes. The ammonia had settled and needed to be stirred up.
kbfuselier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 03:43 PM   #14
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbfuselier View Post
no ammonia leak. fixed broblem by disconnecting and turning fridge upside down for 30 minutes. The ammonia had settled and needed to be stirred up.
Never heard of ammonia settling and needing to be stirred up. If this was the case of the fridge not cooling we'd all have problems each spring since the fridge would be inactive all winter. It may be working now but chances are when you disconnected it to turn it upside down that something reset due to not being electrically connected? I'd keep an eye on it and if it reoccurs take it to a professional to troubleshoot it.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote