Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-24-2018, 05:32 PM   #1

Fridge doesn’t work

Just set up camp and our refrigerator (Dometic) stopped cooling on electricity. Open the door, light goes on. Circuit breaker is good. Electricity is running to the fridge. Tried running it off LP. Nope...no cooling. I’m about 2 weeks over on warranty, so it’s not an old refrigerator. I don’t know what to check next. Or who to check with. Yep, I’m camping...
Old 09-24-2018, 05:37 PM   #2
Site Team

If you're just two weeks over warranty, I'd call the mfg. of the fridge first thing and see if they'll approve repairing it anyway. A lot of times they'll do a good will extension if it's that close. Don't rely on the dealer to help you in this case. Call the mfg. yourself.

Also most appliances have a longer warranty than the RV itself.
Old 09-24-2018, 05:58 PM   #3
Kanadian Kamper

Any chance your RV has been parked at an angle steeper than you would camp or sleep at?

If refrigerators are tilted they can stop functioning because the fluid in the cooling pipes blocks the flow.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 06:10 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenandterry View Post
Any chance your RV has been parked at an angle steeper than you would camp or sleep at?

If refrigerators are tilted they can stop functioning because the fluid in the cooling pipes blocks the flow.
Been level...not sloped. So I don’t think that’s an issue.
Old 09-24-2018, 06:12 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
If you're just two weeks over warranty, I'd call the mfg. of the fridge first thing and see if they'll approve repairing it anyway. A lot of times they'll do a good will extension if it's that close. Don't rely on the dealer to help you in this case. Call the mfg. yourself.

Also most appliances have a longer warranty than the RV itself.
I’ll give them a call in the morning. Hopefully, they’ll be nice. I don’t have anything that indicates length of warranty, but the dealer told me the camper was out of warranty a couple of weeks ago. Perhaps she didn’t take into account a specific warranty on the refrigerator.
Old 09-24-2018, 06:14 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuppyDogMom View Post
Just set up camp and our refrigerator (Dometic) stopped cooling on electricity. Open the door, light goes on. Circuit breaker is good. Electricity is running to the fridge. Tried running it off LP. Nope...no cooling. I’m about 2 weeks over on warranty, so it’s not an old refrigerator. I don’t know what to check next. Or who to check with. Yep, I’m camping...
I'm sure the dometic fridge comes with a 2 yrs warranty . first thing is check all electrical connections . lots of spade connectors that may not be making full or good contact . did it fire up when you went to lp mode ? did you check the thermal disc and thermal fuse ?
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 06:20 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR.M View Post
I'm sure the dometic fridge comes with a 2 yrs warranty . first thing is check all electrical connections . lots of spade connectors that may not be making full or good contact . did it fire up when you went to lp mode ? did you check the thermal disc and thermal fuse ?
Oh, you’re talking to a person who has no knowledge of such technicalities. I’m probably pretty useless. Did have a guy out here who said the electricity was fine. He connected it to lp and said that it fired up. But alas, nothing got cold.
Old 09-24-2018, 06:25 PM   #8

How long has it been on? It can take a while to cool down... Especially if it's hot outside.
birdman77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 06:30 PM   #9

Quote:
Oh, you’re talking to a person who has no knowledge of such technicalities. I’m probably pretty useless. Did have a guy out here who said the electricity was fine. He connected it to lp and said that it fired up. But alas, nothing got cold.
if the boiler tube is hot meaning the lp fired up and stayed lit and or the electric element is hot hence a hot boiler tuber . you can find it take the cover off and to the right is the burner for lp and above it the boiler tube if it's hot and not cooling you may have a blockage . shut unit off let it cool off a couple hrs then restart . also how long has it been on ?
Old 09-24-2018, 06:33 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdman77 View Post
How long has it been on? It can take a while to cool down... Especially if it's hot outside.
Been on most of the afternoon. Not hot outside, so that isn’t a contributing factor.
Old 09-24-2018, 06:36 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR.M View Post
if the boiler tube is hot meaning the lp fired up and stayed lit and or the electric element is hot hence a hot boiler tuber . you can find it take the cover off and to the right is the burner for lp and above it the boiler tube if it's hot and not cooling you may have a blockage . shut unit off let it cool off a couple hrs then restart . also how long has it been on ?
OK guys...no laughing. I can do this, but right at this moment we’re stuck inside the camper because of the horrible smell of pig dodo wafting in the wind and I don’t have a clothes pin. This has not been the greatest camping trip.
Old 09-24-2018, 06:44 PM   #12

Quote:
Been on most of the afternoon. Not hot outside, so that isn’t a contributing factor.
most of the afternoon my not be long enough ! feel the inside back of freezer . is it cold ?
Old 09-25-2018, 09:32 AM   #13
Site Team

If it's just been on an afternoon, then don't panic. As mentioned above, give some more time and see if it gets cold.
Old 09-25-2018, 12:09 PM   #14

Nothing overnight in the freezer. Fridge still warm. Will give it the rest of today as advised. Thank you

Trying to get ahold of Dometic and CW. Not much luck on either.
Old 09-25-2018, 12:40 PM   #15
Site Team

If you put food ( especially warm food/drinks) in the fridge and started it once you got to the site, it will take a long time to get cold. It is best to start it a day ahead of time and chill everything before adding it. RV fridges do not have the cooling capacity that residential ones have. Also they depend on items ( mass) in the unit to keep it cold when you open the doors. If you keep opening the doors to an empty freezer to check it it will take a long while to get cold.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 12:43 PM   #16

Quote:
Nothing overnight in the freezer. Fridge still warm. Will give it the rest of today as advised. Thank you

Trying to get ahold of Dometic and CW. Not much luck on either.

1st mistake , CW.
Decon Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 12:49 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decon Blue View Post
1st mistake , CW.
Not necessarily a mistake, more like a personal choice.

That being said, I'd call an independent service only shop/mobile. The RV park probably has a list.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 12:56 PM   #18
Site Team

The warranty on the fridge is directly from Dometic. Most all RV service places are authorized Dometic repair facilities. You don't need FR or CW involved.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 02:22 PM   #19

Agreed, but it’s kind of the only game in town.
Old 09-25-2018, 02:24 PM   #20
Site Team

As eluded to above, call Dometic directly and ask for the warranty department. Ask them if they'll authorize a mobile repair as Scott & Liz suggested.

You'll probably have to pay the service call, but that beats it sitting at an RV dealer waiting on them to repair it.

Tags
fridge